• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 0-1 Forest Green Rovers

I agree 100% about JD and Elvis , but the trouble is macca is way of the pace to do JDs dirty work in the middle which I think he does quite well considering. Breaking play up is a very unnoticeable task and he still gets forward on occasions. If macca goes anywhere it's a one way ticket with his fitness levels these days

We're certainly a much better drilled unit than we were in the first 6 or 7 games and for that reason there should be some heart but the bottom line is we're heading to the National League as a result of our calamitous and shoddy approach to the last two seasons as a football club.

This is almost certain now but I hope that very soon we will give MM a chance to carry on the improvements without both hands tied behind his back and one leg chained to the rusting steel on the perimeter of Boots and Laces

Due to his knee, I just wonder if JD would be up for the rigours of playing RB anymore?

I would argue that there is far more strenuous movements to be made at RB than CM.

Plus we’re in desperate need of some experience in the centre of the park. Dieng will never be the answer, and as much as I rate Olayinka, I feel his game will suffer without someone industrious alongside him
Your probably right, just means we need to find a right back

Reactions: GBJ
People suggesting we lost to a dreadful team in FGR.
I'd like to put on record that I would happily swap being us for being a supposedly **** team consistently challenging at the top of the league, with a sustainable business model, a squad of hard-working honest pros, and a Chairman with morals, business ethics and a bank balance to back up his long term vision.

A lot of posters saying Kyps had a good game. I'm afraid to say i thought the opposite. Got a few good blocks in, i'll grant him that. But sells himself, didnt get tight enough to make challenges in key areas, overhit corners.
You could see FGR building up for their goal, the Southend midfield and defence seemed to slow down and all of a sudden FGR were playing it around us and they were ALLOWED space.
Not that Elvis was much better on the other side. Demi was pretty invisible, i thought Macca gave us a big lift when he came on.
Cannot believe Rush had to come off, leaving Badship on, maybe he was shattered having done all his running.
Good to see Ox coming out well for the save, even though he was second to the ball he connected well at the feet.
We just needed that sparkle up front.
I would love to see someone set up Kenny Coker, see what he is made of. He only comes on late in the game and we are always losing.
The boys mostly worked their socks off tonight, it just didnt happen for us. FGR played it around very impressively, dominated possession, but they were quite scared of us, they had a nervy win.
Player of the evening for me, Mr Egbri, well done young man. Fought for everything, won some headers lol, got crosses in, looked the part. Oh and got back to help out, changing the 4-3-3 when we didnt have the ball.
Just a shame we had no runners pulling off defenders and creating space to pass into. I did enjoy the game, not a lot in it. Then i remember we are bottom of the league and get angry again.
Cmon Ron, enough of the bull.
You were doing really well until you mentioned Egbri. No, he didn't get crosses IN, although he attempted to.
No, he didn't HELP out when he got back, although he attempted to. No, he didn't WIN headers, but he did head the ball when free in a bit of space.
But yes, he fought for everything, and yes, you know what's coming next: he won very little.

From the limited viewing we certainly are a lot more competitive and more organised than a few games ago.However we simply are not going to win many .games with our current strike force .The year long embargo has killed this club and Ron's waffle doesn't hide the fact we are now adrift and November hasn't even ended.Quite simply without immediate extra quality players our 114 year league existence will be all but over by the end of December .There is no way we are going to put together a winning run of games with this current embargoed squad.

I've gone from being angry every week to being sad to now being in my sons words numb. We've been so used to losing over the past two years or so that it doesn't even hurt, and that coming from someone who goes home and away (under normal circumstances). As for the game, my ifollow worked well with no issues so saw all the game. Another defeat, another mistake leading to a goal by one of our so called experienced players and no cutting edge in the final third. No lacking in effort and for large parts of the game we more than matched one of the leagues better teams. FGR like most of this league didn't look anything special, but once again mistakes have cost us and little quality in the final third is killing any chances we do create

Young Rush who did ok like but like Egbri is small and lightweight at least should have tested the keeper with our best chance of the game. Second half prior to their goal we put three crosses into the 6 yard box but no one had the instinct to gamble, commit and get on the end of it. Yes FGR had a spell and hit the woodwork but by in large Oxley was untroubled and had no chance with the goal. The goal came from a mistake from Harry K, but the bigger error was from JD who for someone with his experienced had no reason to over commit himself and in the end presented them with an easy chance to score. But a mainly even game won by one team taking their chance and the other not

Defensively we look better, JW being back has made a huge difference and Hobson looks steadier next to him. Harry K for someone who hasn't played for a while and a last minute starter did well. Elvis oh dear oh dear. What has happened to the lad. Seems to have lost a yard or two of pace and position wise is all over the shop. But he did set up Rush for his chance so could have had an assist. Midfield worked hard and ran their socks off but for little reward. Dieng I thought was steady and JD worked hard but his mistake cost us the goal. Egbri, for all his enthusiasm simply is too small and lightweight. It was like watching myself playing football with my son when he was 9 or 10. Too easily brushed to one side and never going to win a header. Wouldn't be playing first team if we weren't in the predicament we are. Olyinkya should not be playing wide left. Our best player on the ball and wasted outwde but thought he tried hard to make an impact. Upfront we were toothless, Goodship is void on any confidence and although he tries hard nothing seems to come off for him. Rush is raw but again small and lightweight, not what we need for a L2 survival fight.

So in many ways not a bad performance but not great either and every gane that we don't pick up points is a nail in our coffin

Now missing Lennon, Clifford, Ralph, Taylor and Gard plus Hart and Akinola unable to play as well as Acquah and ANG missing for at least one more game. That's 7/8 potential starters unable to play and in a squad of 23 that's killing us. Sad times to be a shrimper

I think the average points needed to stay up in this division is around the 45 mark.

So, with 33 games to go, we need 10 wins and 10 draws.

We need to get something from 2/3’s of our remaining games....

When you put it like that, its all over. ?. Someone needs to make that crystal clear to ron immediately.

Last edited:
We've improved light years compared with where we were 5 or 6 games ago, but that really is saying nothing at all. I'm not angry about tonight's game in the way that I was about past losses because we at least competed tonight. There was endeavour, a degree of organisation and compactness, and we did a few good things when in possession. Simple fact is though that we're just not good enough. Or at least today's starting 11 wasn't good enough where it mattered.

Oxley 6
Elvis 6
White 6
Hobson 6
Kyprianou 6
Dieng 6
Demetriou 5
Egbri 5
Olayinka 7
Goodship 4
Rush 5

I have faith that this squad can be sorted if/when the embargo is lifted, but I fear it's just about too late now.

People suggesting we lost to a dreadful team in FGR.
I'd like to put on record that I would happily swap being us for being a supposedly **** team consistently challenging at the top of the league, with a sustainable business model, a squad of hard-working honest pros, and a Chairman with morals, business ethics and a bank balance to back up his long term vision.
They have a 100% record vs Man Utd too? ?

We have nowt up front. I said it 6 or 8 weeks ago. We won’t win many. Rush looked better than goodship who was terrible.

Everywhere else we competed. I did think that putting Olyinka on the wing was a waste. I’d have shuffled to have jd on the left as he did in his early career, dieng holding and oly attacking mid. But hell, the manager had not a lot to work for.

STOP THE EMBARGO!

I feel that MM has addressed the awful tappy , slow football in our own half , which invites pressure . He has tightened up down the middle and we look less vulnerable from every ball into our box .
However we lacked quality last night and could of played another 90 mins and not scored , we need a winger that beats his man and another CF who has league 2 experience , I would bite your hand off for the 2 FG subs that came on and linked up for the goal .

We are improving , but so are the teams around us and the gap is looking more unreachable by the week

I sit here having watched a game that I quite enjoyed and I saw players that were playing for the manager , that’s a far cry from the last 3 games I’ve watched where we were an embarrassment of a team and an insult to us fans .

I'm telling you now, someone has put a curse on us or Ron Martin. Sweet Jesus it's the mother of all cursesy.

They should film a Netflix, prime video series on us.

I just don't know what to say anymore.

The only postive this year, we got bespoke kits!

only a a few days to go Mr Martin for the embargo to be lifted. Ur words. Not mine.

If it doesn't happen this will turn the fans once and for all after Mr Martin.

Up the blues

Oxley 7 - solid + a brave save on 1 on 1
Elvis 7 - a few decent rampaging runs
Hobson 7 - decent enough , good distribution too
White 8 - you can always rely on JW , excellent
Kyprianou 9 - superb especially considering hes been away
Egbri 3 - effort but always chasing shadows, no end product
Demetriou 5 - quieter than usual
Olayinka 6 - wasted wide left , clearly carrying injury
Dieng 7 - strong , combative, but still clumsy
Goodship 3 - did nothing
Rush 5 - great tenacity, even won headers + fought well but bad miss.

Macca 6 - get him fit , we need him back! could have been sent off
Coker 6 - raw but decent enough battler

Clearly we are STILL lacking a strong attack. Need to get ANG wide left, Demetriou wide right , Olayinka back in middle with Macca or Dieng sitting. We are 2 strikers short of being a decent side in this division.

I don't think MM helped himself last night. 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 with Goodship on the left would have worked far better than Goodship and Rush up front and Olayinka stuck out on the left. I beleive if we'd had ANG and Acquah or Sterling we wouldn't have lost that game last night

I don't think MM helped himself last night. 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 with Goodship on the left would have worked far better than Goodship and Rush up front and Olayinka stuck out on the left. I beleive if we'd had ANG and Acquah or Sterling we wouldn't have lost that game last night
I would have 100% agreed before the game 451, but actually 442 worked better than anticipated and we help are own. However, playing two up front really made no difference to our goal threat - which given current resources in a way is an argument to go back to 451 next time out. 433, 343, no we've shown that doesn't work, no point reverting back just to double check..

One telling moment of inexperience was when Goodship broke down the wing drawing the defender forward to him, looked up and saw Rush in a perfect position to sprint into space behind the defence so played a lovely ball down the line.......only for Rush to stand clueless for a moment before realising the opportunity he was letting slip and setting off. Unfortunately the final defender had better vision than him, overtook him and put the ball into touch. With more experience Matt would have known what Goodship had a right to expect. He will learn and he is talented but he is learning on the job as vital points slip away.

Back