• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Cheltenham Town v Southend United, Tuesday 2nd March 19:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• James Montgomery

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • Harry Seaden

Votes: 56 67.5%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 71 85.5%
  • John White

Votes: 73 88.0%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 75 90.4%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 75 90.4%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 68 81.9%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 71 85.5%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 50 60.2%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Alan McCormack

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 48 57.8%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

• Simeon Akinola

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 55 66.3%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 60 72.3%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Tyler Cordner

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Greg Halford

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Nile Ranger

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Jacob Mellis

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Michael Klass

• Harry Phillips

• Sam Hart

• Win

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • Draw

• Lose

Votes: 25 30.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 09.05.32.png

The frequency with which I need to pen these pre-match threads seems to be getting quicker and quicker which reflects, I think, the rate at which we're hurtling towards the end of the season. The win at FGR and the point against a decent Salford point were very welcome, but the injuries seem to be picking up at the same rate that we're accumulating points and that is alarming.

I think given the circumstances, most Southend fans would be pleased to come away from the "Jonny-Rocks Stadium" with anything at all, in fact many would probably be pleased with a decent performance, a narrow loss and no further additions to the queue for the treatment table.

Perhaps the biggest conundrum for MM in this game is who to put between the sticks - Oxley will not feature, before Saturday's game it was all about that Bass (a distant relation of Garry Nelson and trained by John Keeley) but the plaudits after the game were taken by young Harry Seaden (he's one of our own). It's not clear whether Bass will be fit enough to start on Tuesday (one would assume not if he couldn't limp through the second half on Saturday), whether yet another emergency loan 'keeper will be brought in, or whether MM will keep faith with young Harry.

The back four would seem to pick itself now, whether he chooses to freshen up the midfield remains to be seen - 3 games in 7 days would seem to be a heavy workload and I can't imagine that Demi won't be badgering MM for a start by the way he constantly chirps at the ref when on the pitch.

Akinola's injury is a bit of a worry too and he may not make the starting XI on Tuesday, perhaps opening the door for Holmes, ANG or even Goodship to come back into the reckoning. Now that Ranger seems to be injured after the briefest of cameo appearances, young Emile seems to be nailed on to continue his education against the giants of Cheltenham Town.

So there we have it, those are my thoughts but who do you think MM will pick to start and what will the end result be?

Thought it was interesting that iFollow's highlights commenter clearly didn't know that Bass went off at HT on Saturday.Kept on referring to him as the keeper in the second half.Perhaps he knows something we don't? :Winking:

with games coming thick and fast makes it hard to pick a team as some will definitely need a rest Especially the hard working midfielders which im happy to say we have quite a few now.I wont try to pick the side but will look on with much interest to how MM picks the team and how it plays .I hope for a win but be happy if we draw, need to get something out off most matches if possible now that we have a decent squad .

Apparently Bass fractured his leg in training around the new year about 8 weeks ago according to an article in the Echo. Guess it must have just been a crack. He had only just returned to training.

I imagine he must have got a kick on it early on on Saturday. If you‘d done your research I guess you wouldn’t be able to resist.

I reckon Harry might play tomorrow and see what happens for Saturday.

For me, if Bass is fit, he starts, as well as Seadon did on Saturday, thats just part of his education. The continued conveyor belt of Goalkeepers at this club is amazing.

Dan Bentley, Ted Smith, Nathan Bishop, and now Harry Seadon. (Whether he makes it or not its too early to tell, but signs look promising).

Back 4 is a no brainer.

Ferguson and Dieng I think are also nailed on, the rest I haven't a clue, as it depends on who is fit.

I think Aquah has to start again as there are no other options, probably Holmes, and maybe Demi and ANG, just to freshen things up a little.

RHF got through a lot of work on Saturday, and Akinola might not be 100% as well.

I would snap your hand off at a point, but then I thought that last week against FGR!

In current situations I feel we can't afford to lose this 1. We are now into the business end of the season where games are coming thick and fast....... it's clear MM will have to freshen up the team and hopefully make the right calls regards to team selection. Cheltenham home form isnt as good as their away form, giving are own recent up turn on the road that should give us confidence of getting a point atleast. If we can replicate the forest green performance which easier said than done, their no reason why we cant get a win!

It’s funny, how Dieng is now a definite starter and one of the first names on the team sheet. He’s turning into Mr Reliable. Without knowing too much about how Cheltenham are set up I’d go for similar tactics/selection to FGR.
I’m assuming Sim Akinola is out.
Score?! I’d like to hope a win. But I’ll go for 1-1, Emile to get #2 of the season.

Seaden (Bass if fit)
Elvis - Hobson - White - Clifford
Ferguson
RHF - K Taylor - Dieng - ANG (or Holmes?)
Acquah

It’s funny, how Dieng is now a definite starter and one of the first names on the team sheet. He’s turning into Mr Reliable. Without knowing too much about how Cheltenham are set up I’d go for similar tactics/selection to FGR.
I’m assuming Sim Akinola is out.
Score?! I’d like to hope a win. But I’ll go for 1-1, Emile to get #2 of the season.

Seaden (Bass if fit)
Elvis - Hobson - White - Clifford
Ferguson
RHF - K Taylor - Dieng - ANG (or Holmes?)
Acquah
I thought it was all about rotating ,thts we have this wealth of talent on our books ?????

Clearly MM has a few decisions to make re goalkeeper.If Bass isn't available does he go with Seaden and have the third choice keeper on the bench.If he cant trust the third choice he will need to bring in someone in.Only time will tell.Other than that expect him to freshen up the side with one or two changes

I thought it was all about rotating ,thts we have this wealth of talent on our books ?????
Yeah, there’s a case for that but at the moment I’d stick to what works. Don’t think Holmes, Mellis or Olayinka can start yet and well, we’ve got options off the bench in JD and Macca if we need to switch it up in midfield.

Yeah, there’s a case for that but at the moment I’d stick to what works. Don’t think Holmes, Mellis or Olayinka can start yet and well, we’ve got options off the bench in JD and Macca if we need to switch it up in midfield.
Regrettably it didn't work second half versus Salford. One or two were running on empty. Our game requires high energy/pressing- when that is working we look veery capable. When it stops we end up increasingly under the cosh.

I would prefer rotation that involves minimum changes game to game- but not changing at all/overplaying individuals leads to injuries/sub par performances and more wholesale changes being forced when they come.

I would imagine maybe 3 changes from Sat- hopefully more aren't necessary.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.03.20.png

A look at the form table shows that this ain't gonna be easy at all. I expect our pattern of LWDLWD to continue tomorrow night!

I think our best chance of nicking something may come from dead ball situations and therefore having the right-footed Holmes and left-footed Clifford available is going to be paramount, as will teaching Emile how to draw a foul and maybe also having ANG run at defenders around the box.

FWIW I would go with:

Seadon (or Bass if fit)

Bwomono White Hobson Clifford

Demi Dieng Ferguson

Holmes Acquah ANG​

EFL regulations say that an emergency loan keeper must start the match, so if we don't send Bass back to Portsmouth he has to start the match, he wouldn't be allowed to sit on the bench.

Wouldn't be surprised to see borderline wholesale changes in the midfield and forward 3. Would be resting the boys for this one, tell the players picked to earn the right to knock on my door next week and rest the main threats for the remaining March fixtures and beyond.

Back