• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oxley out today.

We need someone with a big squad and at least 3 first team goalkeepers:

Norwich have 4 registered, including Michael McGovern who is injured and out for the season
Brentford have 4, including Luke Daniels (on the bench) and Gunnarson (already on loan)
Watford have 4, Ben Foster isn't getting game time or on the bench at the moment...
Swansea have 4, Benda is injured and their 4th choice not much older than Seaden
Reading have 4, Sam Walker (ex Col U) not even on the bench so could be a shout
Bournemouth only have 2, so despite MM's connections may not be much chance of anyone.

That's the top 6 - haven't got time to research the rest just now but from that list I'd say Sam Walker could be the best shout.

EDIT:

....Or would have been if he hadn't gone on loan to AFC Wimbledon in January, DOH!

Just shows how tricky it is to get someone in!

I just hope if we do bring someone else in, it’s not someone else’s youngster. I’d rather give our own youngsters the experience. We brought Gunnarsson in last season for three games and he wasn’t much older or more experienced than Seaden. Have to feel for the lad, it’s the second time he’s had emergency keepers brought in over him and he’s never really put much of a foot wrong.

It’s difficult though as we do need another keeper for cover, but I doubt any clubs will let us have one of their youngsters on loan as backup to Seaden, as there wouldn’t be much point. If we want them, they’ll want assurances they’re going to play and that puts Seaden at a bit of a disadvantage. Unless we can bring in a fairly decent and experienced keeper, I’d rather just roll with Seaden and Taylor until Ox is back.

Or register the goalkeeping coach and stick him on the bench as a few teams have done. Some have been well into their forties.

Maybe one of the outfield players has a secret talent between the sticks. I know during the PB time either Bolger or Lenny were the designated emergency custodians.
I have vague recollections of an outfield player doing goalie warming-up at an away game. Can't remember who/where though!

I have vague recollections of an outfield player doing goalie warming-up at an away game. Can't remember who/where though!

May have been Bolger as he played in goal to a reasonable level in Gaelic football as a yooof.

Local boy Josh Vickers might be a shout. He’s third choice at Rotherham and looking for a game or two I’d imagine.

Hopefully we can use this as a chance to evaluate someone to replace Oxley for when his contract ends at the end of the season, he was given quite a large wage when he was given his new contract to ward off championship interest so no doubt will be off.

Seaden has already been slagged on here and other social media after his couple of starts for us. The support for "one of our own" would last until the first goal was conceded. Like his first appearance it wont matter one bit if its not his fault, he will be blamed.

Goalkeeping is fans weakest area. The nonsense i've seen and heard over the years about keepers, has been laughable at times. Including from players in my own Saturday/Sunday sides.

I just hope if we do bring someone else in, it’s not someone else’s youngster. I’d rather give our own youngsters the experience. We brought Gunnarsson in last season for three games and he wasn’t much older or more experienced than Seaden. Have to feel for the lad, it’s the second time he’s had emergency keepers brought in over him and he’s never really put much of a foot wrong.

It’s difficult though as we do need another keeper for cover, but I doubt any clubs will let us have one of their youngsters on loan as backup to Seaden, as there wouldn’t be much point. If we want them, they’ll want assurances they’re going to play and that puts Seaden at a bit of a disadvantage. Unless we can bring in a fairly decent and experienced keeper, I’d rather just roll with Seaden and Taylor until Ox is back.

It's not actually a matter of choice. If you bring in a goalkeeper on an Emergency Goalkeeper Loan, they must start any matches during the period of their loan. From the EFL's Regulations:
"57.4 Any goalkeeper registered under the provisions of this Regulation must be included in the starting 11 on the Team Sheet, and must start the Match."

Edit: as mentioned by @Shrimpergarry earlier (only just seen that post)

Halford's played everywhere else!

Not sure how old Joe Prodomo (goalkeeping coach) is, but he's only played at non-league level. Not sure when his last game was either.

Joe left Bashley to take up a coaching role at Weymouth in 2017 I believe. There's an interesting article on the Weymouth website about his debut for the Terras, as a 17-year-old, when Weymouth had to put out a virtual youth team due to financial issues (sound familiar?!). The match was against Rushden & Diamonds in the Conference, as it was then, and Joe let in nine, as well as making a string of saves.

He subsequently made 22 league appearances and 10 cup appearances (plus possibly a few more as the records aren't completely reliable) for then-Southern League side Bashley under brother Tom, plus 3 more in cup competitions for Weymouth in 2014/15.

Goalkeeping is fans weakest area. The nonsense i've seen and heard over the years about keepers, has been laughable at times. Including from players in my own Saturday/Sunday sides.

Agree with this. Flahavan played well as we got promoted through 2 divisions then all of a sudden became too ‘small‘. Fans are obsessed with keepers remaining on their line rather than flapping wildly around their area. Every week we see the best goalkeepers in the world make mistakes in the Premier league, then are astonished when players 3 divisions down don’t deal with every shot perfectly. Easy for fans to ruin a decent goalkeeper - remember Paul Smith?

this situation should have been foreseen = poor show from MM

It was foreseen. He got someone in for Saturday and had a good standard keeper on the bench. Anything less may have seen us lose.

He will do the same again today.

Last edited:
We need someone with a big squad and at least 3 first team goalkeepers:

Norwich have 4 registered, including Michael McGovern who is injured and out for the season
Brentford have 4, including Luke Daniels (on the bench) and Gunnarson (already on loan)
Watford have 4, Ben Foster isn't getting game time or on the bench at the moment...
Swansea have 4, Benda is injured and their 4th choice not much older than Seaden
Reading have 4, Sam Walker (ex Col U) not even on the bench so could be a shout
Bournemouth only have 2, so despite MM's connections may not be much chance of anyone.

That's the top 6 - haven't got time to research the rest just now but from that list I'd say Sam Walker could be the best shout.

EDIT:

....Or would have been if he hadn't gone on loan to AFC Wimbledon in January, DOH!

Just shows how tricky it is to get someone in!

I guess you don't watch his YouTube channel (The Cycling GK). He's recovering from a broken finger and has only just started some very easy training.

I guess you don't watch his YouTube channel (The Cycling GK). He's recovering from a broken finger and has only just started some very easy training.
No I don't - it just goes to show why the bigger clubs have at least 3 senior goalkeepers. I thought the Norwich keeper, McGovern, might be an option, but he's out for the rest of the season. Swansea have Benda injured as well.

Where they have enough fit goalkeepers it seems most of them are already out on loan (Gunnarson from Brentford and Walker from Reading).

Will be interesting to see who, if anyone, comes in. A few people have mentioned Josh Vickers from Rotherham and that is a good shout, not on the bench for them and only signed from Lincoln quite recently. A local lad too.

Back