• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Saturday Night Thoughts

stan collymore

Stanley Victor Collymore
Hey Guys

Today was always going to feel raw simply because it's been coming for a while. For a club to lose a proud 101 year Football League status is one thing, to have a summer to think about the consequences on and off the pitch, another.

I'm meeting Ron next week after a very positive chat on Friday where I backed up a comprehensive written plan with support and candour for him, all of you, and all staff at the club, from tea lady to Phil.

I've done my homework on the club, on every employee in the football department, financial department and marketing from what seems like 24/7 phone calls to everyone who can give me as much information as possible. It's been a very revealing and worthwhile exercise.

The truth is, as Ron said, he needs help and I have set out ways that can happen immediately, along with the transparency for you guys who are the most important part of the club. But there's a lot more needs doing than cheerleading and being honest with Ron.

Clubs don't go down because everyone is doing well and there's a happy camp, clubs go down because everyone plays their part over a season to contribute to that relegation. So a first question is to everyone at the club, "do you believe you have the ability, desire and passion to play for Southend United? " Likewise every member of staff, every full time and part time employee.

The 2021/22 season started today and if Phil continues as the manager, I'd hope to be sitting in front of Phil, Craig Fagan and Ricky Duncan immediately to support, design and execute a plan to make their job easier and to work every contact ( I've already been "switched on" 24/7 utilising some great contacts for recruitment, data analysis, getting early access to released lists etc) to enable the 3 guys to gain every advantage before pre season ( if I have any say we'll be back first in the National League), and for Southend United to leave no stone unturned to get off to a great start.

The CEO I put to Ron along with Ron's other option will be meeting him next week also, I found Ron's words about the potential for both to fulfill roles encouraging.

Aims, ambitions, targets, sane budgets adhered to, absolute unity amongst staff and players is a must, if not, everything would be done, everything, to make sure the culture of the club is positive, warm, open, and honest. A great place to work. I do not believe that has always been the case so brutally honest conversations will be had as to why and to remind everyone that Southend United come first and last. Repeated daily if necessary.

There's an experienced manager, an owner who I believe accepts he needs some help and support, a fan base that needs a cuddle and to feel a part of the love of their life again, some talent in the squad and if I have a role at the club, a guarantee of 24/7 obsession with putting the building blocks in place to build bridges, right wrongs, give support to everyone at the club and to move forward again on the pitch. An obsession.

I don't need to put myself in the firing line, I want to.

I want to because for 6 months of my life I received kindness, warmth, support and trust from everyone at Southend United Football Club.

It's my time to give that back. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Let's see what next week brings, I hope it's good news for you guys because you need some!

From Ron to Dave the season ticket holder in Rayleigh and Sarah the season ticket holder in Rochford, our time starts now. Embrace it, get excited by it.

Stan Collymore.?

Attachments

• DAEE2FDC-CDF5-4F5B-925E-70135A5017F1.jpeg
    DAEE2FDC-CDF5-4F5B-925E-70135A5017F1.jpeg
    820.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Absolute hero. Kudos, Stan and, if I had my way you'd be offered whatever you want to continue this in an official capacity. Please keep it up an don't walk away. It has been an incredible breath of fresh air and would shatter mine and many hundreds of others dreams if you did.

Nice words SC. If Ron is true to his word and has genuinely acknowledgded and realises that he needs help running the football side of things, that can only be a positive. Having yourself onside can only benefit the club and hopefully by this time next week clarity has been made on a number of issues, including management on and off the pitch and player recruitment.

Kev

Whether or not you read this or if it gets lost amongst the doubtless countless replies, I just want to say thank you for showing such love for the club, Stan. I'm far too young to remember your playing time for us, but the fact people have never stopped talking about you says it all.

It's been a horrible few years for the football club, so thank you for all the efforts you are going to. It means a lot to have someone like you stand up and do something about the future of our club.

You’re right about the fans needing to feel the love again. For too long we’ve been made to feel like an unwanted inconvenience to Ron to be seen and not heard and have been kept in the dark with every aspect of the club which just serves to fester distrust and resentment. We’re all on this journey together and so need to pull in the same direction and that surely must start with a transparent and inclusive strategy to move forward from the downward spiral we’ve find ourselves caught up in. All your efforts Stan are greatly appreciated and for the first time since I can’t remember I’m feeling optimistic for the future of our club.

Thanks for all the work you’ve done so far Stan we’re all very grateful.

keep your guard up with Ron martin because he’s lied so much in the past and seems to actually believe his own BS.

Like us though, this time we’re all over him and he won’t get the easy ride he’s got so far if we don’t crack on straight away with the right manager, CEO/director of football and have a squad raring to go before pre season even really begins.
Thanks again and keep your eyes out for Ron Martin as he’s famous for being a slippery person.

The way that Stan interacts with the travelling Shrimpers after scoring his first here reveals so much about his desire to do well, respect and love for the fans (us)! Delighted to say I was at Leeds Road for this one, my favourite ever away game. What a day, what a result, what a player/Shrimper. Thank you Stan for all that you did and all that you're doing.

Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant hearing this after watching today's game and thinking ' meh ' if we scored, Conceded, Lost or won. Completely strange feeling these last few weeks.

Stan has come along and like a true legend that he is, Gives us all crumbs of comfort for next season and moving forward.

Stronger together rather than fighting against one man. Would be even nicer if that one man realises we are all hurting too and accepts help.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for these lovely words 'Southends No. 10'

Hey Guys

Today was always going to feel raw simply because it's been coming for a while. For a club to lose a proud 101 year Football League status is one thing, to have a summer to think about the consequences on and off the pitch, another.

I'm meeting Ron next week after a very positive chat on Friday where I backed up a comprehensive written plan with support and candour for him, all of you, and all staff at the club, from tea lady to Phil.

I've done my homework on the club, on every employee in the football department, financial department and marketing from what seems like 24/7 phone calls to everyone who can give me as much information as possible. It's been a very revealing and worthwhile exercise.

The truth is, as Ron said, he needs help and I have set out ways that can happen immediately, along with the transparency for you guys who are the most important part of the club. But there's a lot more needs doing than cheerleading and being honest with Ron.

Clubs don't go down because everyone is doing well and there's a happy camp, clubs go down because everyone plays their part over a season to contribute to that relegation. So a first question is to everyone at the club, "do you believe you have the ability, desire and passion to play for Southend United? " Likewise every member of staff, every full time and part time employee.

The 2021/22 season started today and if Phil continues as the manager, I'd hope to be sitting in front of Phil, Craig Fagan and Ricky Duncan immediately to support, design and execute a plan to make their job easier and to work every contact ( I've already been "switched on" 24/7 utilising some great contacts for recruitment, data analysis, getting early access to released lists etc) to enable the 3 guys to gain every advantage before pre season ( if I have any say we'll be back first in the National League), and for Southend United to leave no stone unturned to get off to a great start.

The CEO I put to Ron along with Ron's other option will be meeting him next week also, I found Ron's words about the potential for both to fulfill roles encouraging.

Aims, ambitions, targets, sane budgets adhered to, absolute unity amongst staff and players is a must, if not, everything would be done, everything, to make sure the culture of the club is positive, warm, open, and honest. A great place to work. I do not believe that has always been the case so brutally honest conversations will be had as to why and to remind everyone that Southend United come first and last. Repeated daily if necessary.

There's an experienced manager, an owner who I believe accepts he needs some help and support, a fan base that needs a cuddle and to feel a part of the love of their life again, some talent in the squad and if I have a role at the club, a guarantee of 24/7 obsession with putting the building blocks in place to build bridges, right wrongs, give support to everyone at the club and to move forward again on the pitch. An obsession.

I don't need to put myself in the firing line, I want to.

I want to because for 6 months of my life I received kindness, warmth, support and trust from everyone at Southend United Football Club.

It's my time to give that back. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Let's see what next week brings, I hope it's good news for you guys because you need some!

From Ron to Dave the season ticket holder in Rayleigh and Sarah the season ticket holder in Rochford, our time starts now. Embrace it, get excited by it.

Stan Collymore.?

Yet again thank you Stan. I seriously don't think anything would be even considered for change without your involvement ?

Back