• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kenny Coker to Norwich

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Looks like we'll be losing Kenny Coker. He apparently played for Norwich u18s back in April and appears to have played for them again.

I think - and @Exiled Shrimper may know better - he's yet to sign a professional deal. With us dropping into the Conference I'm not even sure if we'll receive compensation for him.

No doubt this was part of the reason for giving his namesake 3 minutes in this afternoon's dead rubber.

Absolute **** take if we don’t get any compensation for him!

Looks like we'll be losing Kenny Coker. He apparently played for Norwich u18s back in April and appears to have played for them again.

I think - and @Exiled Shrimper may know better - he's yet to sign a professional deal. With us dropping into the Conference I'm not even sure if we'll receive compensation for him.

No doubt this was part of the reason for giving his namesake 3 minutes in this afternoon's dead rubber.

Oh wow, this would be a huge shame (For the club)

But just for clarification Yorkshire, It was Oli Coker who came on today.

This is all I can really find. Sounds like players under the age of 16 can be pinched for nothing, but I think Coker is now 16-17? Should mean we get something but no idea if it’ll follow the EPPP guidelines.

66.3 In the event of a Club retiring as a member of The League and joining The National League under the provisions of Regulation 10 the following conditions shall apply to Players registered with such Club.

66.3.1 An Under 24 Player who has refused an offer of re-engagement made by his Club in accordance with Regulation 67 who remains in dispute with his Club as at the 15 July next following the Club's loss of League status must sign a National League registration form and Contract with his Club which Contract must contain a clause consistent with Regulation 67.9.1 to the effect that the Player remains free to speak to other Clubs without restriction subject to him keeping the Club with which he is contracted, aware of any negotiations. The Contract should contain the same financial terms as were included in clauses Schedule 2 of his last Standard Contract except that a signing-on fee stipulated to be a once only payment need not be repeated and the Player will be bound by any new incentive schedule. If the Player refuses to be registered in The National League then his Club will be entitled to retain compensation rights without payment of a wage. The Professional Football Compensation Committee will on application from a Club or Player determine a dispute over the Compensation Fee.

66.3.2 A Player's Contract which is not due to expire until after the next 30 June following the Club's loss of League status will remain valid in The National League.

66.3.3 The registrations and contracts of Scholars may be maintained provided that the Club continues to fulfil the requirements imposed by the Scholarship Agreement and the Youth Development Rules relating to the operation of a Scholarship Programme, otherwise the Scholars will be entitled to their release.

66.3.4 The registrations of Academy Players may be retained by The League in favour of the Club provided that the Club continues to fulfil the requirements imposed by the Academy Player's registrations and the Youth Development Rules relating to the operation of an Academy, otherwise the Academy Players will be entitled to their release.

If I'm reading that right as long as we offer a professional player a contract we'll be entitled to compensation but any players out of contract next season (assuming we don't go up) we won't be entitled to anything. If Coker doesn't have a professional contract though I guess it depends if we meet the academy criteria mentioned.

I think its an absolute disgrace that another club can just come in and pinch a young player who from another club. For how long as young Coker been with our academy learning his trade with us .Sorry to me its a disgrace.

As Kenny Coker has entered a scholarship agreement with the club, I don’t believe it matters if he hasn’t signed a professional contract; it would still be covered by the EFL’s Youth Development Rules.

They state, either that Club A (Southend in this example) and Club B (Norwich) will simply agree on the amount of compensation payable by Club B to Club A (Rules 327.2 and 338); or, failing any such agreement, and where the academy player is in any age group between Under 17 and Under 21 when he is registered by Club B or where Club A offered a Scholarship Agreement pursuant to the YDR, rule 278, the Professional Football Compensation Committee shall determine the compensation payable by Club B to Club A.

The PFCC takes the following into account:
“3.1 the status of each of the Transferor Club and the Transferee Club;
3.2 the age of the Player;
3.3 the Training Model(s) (as that term is defined in Youth Development Rule 1.77) on which the Player was engaged with the Transferor Club;
3.4 the amount of any fee paid by the Transferor Club upon acquiring the registration of the Player;
3.5 the length of time during which the Transferor Club held the registration of the Player;
3.6 the terms of the new contract offered to him by both the Transferor Club and the Transferee Club;
3.7 his playing record including any international appearances;
3.8 substantiated interest shown by other clubs in acquiring the registration of the Player.

4. The costs to be taken into account under Regulation 3 shall be:
4.1 any cost incurred by either Club in operating an Academy including (without limitation) the cost of providing for players attending thereat:
4.1.1 living accommodation;
4.1.2 training and playing facilities;
4.1.3 scouting, coaching, administrative and other staff;
4.1.4 education and welfare requirements;
4.1.5 playing and training strip and other clothing;
4.1.6 medical and first aid facilities;
4.1.7 friendly and competitive matches and overseas tours;

4.2 any other cost incurred by either Club directly or indirectly attributable to the training and development of players including any fee referred to in Regulation 3.4.”

There’s some in-depth analysis of the process here: https://www.footballlaw.co.uk/articles/compensation-academy-players-pfcc-youth-development-rules.

The article referred to by @amsemp is interesting, but I believe it refers to Tranmere Rovers not receiving any compensation in the third year after relegation for their Academy players under the age of 16, when it appears they continued to operate as an Academy
but were not officially part of the EPPP.

I think its an absolute disgrace that another club can just come in and pinch a young player who from another club. For how long as young Coker been with our academy learning his trade with us .Sorry to me its a disgrace.
It's been going on for decade's, Man United were at it in this country and Arsenal in France (when Wenger was manager).

The lower league clubs gave up their rights to arbitration for compensation to youngsters moving onto bigger clubs when they accepted the terms of the EPPP and took the premier league clubs solidarity payments in return.

It may be a disgrace but the clubs voted for it!

Given that Southends academy is only Category 3, the compensation will be pretty minimal, relatively speaking.

It's worth noting, in the case of Kenny Coker, that he's only been with the club for two seasons after we acquired him from Billericay Town of the Eastern Junior Alliance, so there's much less value in the argument than there would be in someone like Tom Clifford or Lewis Gard departing at at similar age, given they have been at the club since the ages of 9 or 10.

Nonetheless, as mentioned in my original post on this topic, as Kenny Coker is a scholar, rather than an Academy player under the age of 16, the automatic compensation amounts aren't applicable. In the first instance, the clubs would (preferably) agree a compensation fee, and that may be pushed up depending on interest from other clubs (you can still have a 'bidding war' if there's a player that multiple clubs are interested in signing).

If the clubs can't agree, then the PFCC determine the fee, taking into account lots of matters, but things in our favour would be that Kenny Coker has appeared for the first team, his age, and interest from other clubs. Going against us would be the first team's relegation and the short period of time he had been at the club.

As an Academy, we've always managed to make the best of these sort of situations and, whilst it's disappointing to lose a player of undoubted potential, it's testament to the work of all the staff that we're still able to push talented players into the first-team environment.

I just had a look at the U18 Premier League fixtures for April and there is a trialist Forward, for a game vs Brighton on April 10th. I assume that's him.

But then, looking at his Twitter he played for us as recent as the 24th...

At least he'll get paid on Time. Sorry, but as a young lad making his way in the game Naaarwich is probably a great place for someone like hom to develop and progress. Good luck to him, people need to be realistic, many of our youngsters will now move on.

The lower league clubs gave up their rights to arbitration for compensation to youngsters moving onto bigger clubs when they accepted the terms of the EPPP and took the premier league clubs solidarity payments in return.

It may be a disgrace but the clubs voted for it!

Given that Southends academy is only Category 3, the compensation will be pretty minimal, relatively speaking.

Ron voted against this, and also voted against loaners from EPL

His logIc on loanees was simple - EPL academies would become less attractive to kids if the prospects of actual league football were dramatically reduced.

I think he was right on both votes

Last edited:
Ron voted against this, and also voted against loaners from EPL

His logIc on loners was simple - EPL academies would become less attractive to kids if the prospects of actual league football were dramatically reduced.

I think he was right on both votes

Yet he’s still sanctioned loans from premier league clubs (Hamilton, Nduku, Sterling) that all deprived players of game time / opportunities and I presume he has happily accepted the solidarity payments?

Yet he’s still sanctioned loans from premier league clubs (Hamilton, Nduku, Sterling) that all deprived players of game time / opportunities and I presume he has happily accepted the solidarity payments?
If don’t understand your point, of course he has. The league voted yes. It would be great if we could afford to give the solidarity payments to charity and not take on premier league loanees—- but we can’t.

If ll of the league 1 and 2 clubs agreed not to take on premier. League players then it would have an impact. SUFC on its own would make no difference

My point being he has had the advantage of the solidarity payments and he’s utilised premier league loans. Whether he voted for or against, we can’t then complain about being victims of the other side of the sword.

Every season fans clamour for loan signings and I have always argued against them. Ethan Hamilton was a good lad and a good pro but he only deprived our own players of game time based on where he was from not his performances. Nduku didn’t take much game time but what he did get and the time he spent on the bench stopped one of our own getting valuable experience. Same with Sterling.

Ron could easily have made a stand in that respect and stopped managers from making those types of signings. It would’ve helped on the long run too as it would’ve added value to the players like Coker when they do move on!!

Last edited:
Back