• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Relegation appeal

I see this protesting by RM as a fantastic opportunity for him once again delaying doing anything about SUFC,s future, he is a master of this, tactic!

The idea originated from the Grimsby board, not Ron. I will call out Ron on many things. but on this I have to appeal for accuracy and not use this to have a go at Ron just because of the bad feeling he has created. There are plenty of other things to lay directly at his door.

As I have said before Grimsby submit an appeal, and by some fluke, as I don't believe there are any grounds that it will succeed, but say it did and we weren't involved. So they stay up and we went down, how would you feel then!

Well I'm watching Torquay playing Bromley on BT Sport at the moment. If this is any indication of how they have been playing all season then they definitely don't deserve to be promoted. ?

Nope. No integrity of the league has been lost. It’s still very competitive & in the midst of a pandemic it should be applauded how well it’s carried on. The league has gone on very well in difficult circumstances with no teams giving up or distorting the league - Could you say the same for when you had an embargo? Every season you can say that a league has been distorted , teams having injuries at different moments to other teams, buying players at different times so teams facing different strength of squads.

The only integrity being lost here is by yourselves & Grimbsy trying to weasel yourselves out of a deserved relegation

Dover gave up

The EFL can change their rules. But why would they?

There's no moral or legal reason why they would change. There's no logistical reason as it would make things much more difficult to run a 26 team league than 24. And changing the rules would fly in the face of sporting integrity.

I thought the on-field events of the past 30 months were the lowest of the low but somehow this action has managed to take us even lower.

To be clear - if this works I'll take it and I'll be delighted. But it won't work. It is desperate and embarrassing.
I can’t agree it’s desperate and embarrassing. We are supporting Grimsby’s appeal/proposal which makes more sense than opposing it- it’s happening anyway.
Without going through it again in tortuous detail the moral argument is that the EFL made clear last year their view that promotions into Prem was dependent on promotions and relegations happening (and integrity being maintained) in the EFL generally and the Championship in particular. Now if that was true then then there is the argument that it should br true now- and for Prem read L2 and for Championship read NL.
There is an argument (even if you don’t agree with it)
Whether it’s “fair” is an entirely different matter. Then the EFL weren’t very bothered about fair last year either.
You are right it will probably fail. But as I say it’s happening whether we support it or not.
Ron has much to be blamed for, it’s just possible that this isn’t at the top of the list..

BTW interestingly the indignation from the EFL and others just days ago about the proposed Super League (or whatever it was going to be called) was that it was flawed and unacceptable as it lacked sporting integrity..,, because there were no relegations. So the EFL can be consistent when they want to be.

It seems to me that any appeal to be made would have far more credence if it had come during the season, once it was clear that the NLN and NLS had been cancelled and that relegation from the NL was not going to happen.
At that time a collective protest from a number of League 2 clubs, ideally including ones nowhere near the bottom of the table, would have demonstrated more effectively any feeling of unfairness and inbalance in promotions/relegations and may have been given some consideration.
At this late stage it just smells of self-interest and will leave both ourselves and Grimsby to be perceived as bad losers unable to take our medicine.

Not for the first time in this club, the timing has been hopelessly late.

It seems to me that any appeal to be made would have far more credence if it had come during the season, once it was clear that the NLN and NLS had been cancelled and that relegation from the NL was not going to happen.
At that time a collective protest from a number of League 2 clubs, ideally including ones nowhere near the bottom of the table, would have demonstrated more effectively any feeling of unfairness and inbalance in promotions/relegations and may have been given some consideration.
At this late stage it just smells of self-interest and will leave both ourselves and Grimsby to be perceived as bad losers unable to take our medicine.

Not for the first time in this club, the timing has been hopelessly late.
Tbh if Grimsby hadn’t gone ahead with this then I don’t think Ron would done so. But they have- and so it’s not so surprising he is supporting it. I know he must be blamed for absolutely everything but I would cut him a bit of slCk on this one.

Tbh if Grimsby hadn’t gone ahead with this then I don’t think Ron would done so. But they have- and so it’s not so surprising he is supporting it. I know he must be blamed for absolutely everything but I would cut him a bit of slCk on this one.
Maybe you are right, it was Grimsby's initiative. But if we feel so strongly about it now, why didn't we act when the NLS and the NLN were stopped, as I said in my previous post?

Maybe you are right, it was Grimsby's initiative. But if we feel so strongly about it now, why didn't we act when the NLS and the NLN were stopped, as I said in my previous post?
Perhaps we don’t feel so strongly about it which is why we didn’t initiate it- but once it happens why wouldn’t we support it? Anyway we will see what happens.

Maybe you should take a look at what I’m replying to. Stuart told me I was on my own, so the assumption was his, not mine or even Rusty’s (?)

You said "every supporter on here" when that clearly isn't the case, and isn't even close to the truth.

I can’t agree it’s desperate and embarrassing. We are supporting Grimsby’s appeal/proposal which makes more sense than opposing it- it’s happening anyway.
Without going through it again in tortuous detail the moral argument is that the EFL made clear last year their view that promotions into Prem was dependent on promotions and relegations happening (and integrity being maintained) in the EFL generally and the Championship in particular. Now if that was true then then there is the argument that it should br true now- and for Prem read L2 and for Championship read NL.
There is an argument (even if you don’t agree with it)
Whether it’s “fair” is an entirely different matter. Then the EFL weren’t very bothered about fair last year either.
You are right it will probably fail. But as I say it’s happening whether we support it or not.
Ron has much to be blamed for, it’s just possible that this isn’t at the top of the list..

BTW interestingly the indignation from the EFL and others just days ago about the proposed Super League (or whatever it was going to be called) was that it was flawed and unacceptable as it lacked sporting integrity..,, because there were no relegations. So the EFL can be consistent when they want to be.

I've read your arguments throughout the thread so there's little point rehashing them but I really cant agree. That said, it is happening so lets see. To me, as a Southend fan, I find this really embarrassing,

According to Grimsby media the legal discussions have been taking place since the NL arrangement were announced and not just since they were relegated but the new owners have said they will abstain in any vote due to conflict of interest.

This is what the fansshould now be protesting against to the EFL ,GETTING RELEGATED TO A LEAGUE THAT DIDNT FINISH THE MATCHES AND SAID THERE WOULD BE NO RELEGATION FROM IT BUT THERE WOULD BE PROMOTION ,THATS WHAT PEOPLE SHOULD BE PROTESTING ABOUT .

Do we know whether Grimsby have a legal team to support them, and are we, therefore, sharing costs?
Have to agree that an NL running roughshod over its own rules is pushing it.

Back