• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Dagenham & Redbridge 3-0 Southend United

Bridge in CM, Walsh on wing that’s two options
Would have meant a back 5 including seaden, Howard and sayers. 3 of the 5 not ready for league football and perhaps away from thought was to have 3 “solid” (lol) midfielders to protect the defence.

we definitely need to get away from 3 at the back don’t get me wrong. Let’s see what Saturday brings - hopefully changes.

I imagine we're not going to be bringing anyone in until we have our new head of recruitment. I think it would be a worrying sign if anyone was brought in now without the new HoR in place, a sign that things still haven't changed. KM said he wanted to look at the players he has, and he needs to see what they're capable of against competitive opposition, not just a couple of training sessions.
I always want us to win games, even when we're 3-0 down I'll still be checking my phone at work every five minutes to see if the comeback is on. Today, i knew there was still a likelihood we were going to lose. We are in the relegation places, yes, but ffs people - THERE ARE 34 GAMES LEFT.
Losing this first game of the MCB era doesn't mean it's never going to improve.

Probably a good thing we showed our true colours yesterday, on and off the pitch. The new coaching team will be under no illusions about the task they face. An injury prone team with no pace or dynamism, and mentally fragile... and a supporter base determined to make the latter an even bigger issue.

The ironic cheering of Seaden was incredibly dispiriting. I think most of us know he is not ready yet for this level. But he's hardly going to improve knowing the knives are out from all four sides of the ground.

You can see why Ted Smith called it a day.

Probably a good thing we showed our true colours yesterday, on and off the pitch. The new coaching team will be under no illusions about the task they face. An injury prone team with no pace or dynamism, and mentally fragile... and a supporter base determined to make the latter an even bigger issue.

The ironic cheering of Seaden was incredibly dispiriting. I think most of us know he is not ready yet for this level. But he's hardly going to improve knowing the knives are out from all four sides of the ground.

I think a lot of people would go as far to say not good enough to play at this level.

He's always played second fiddle to better keepers coming through in front of him and those better keepers have done it at a higher level too.

Nathan Bishop was young when he played regularly for the team in an equally difficult era so age can't be used to insulate these younger players.

Reality is the best of our youth crop (apart from maybe Sayers who seems alright at this level) were sold before they even kicked a ball in anger for SUFC and that should have our fanbase up in arms.

I think a lot of people would go as far to say not good enough to play at this level.

He's always played second fiddle to better keepers coming through in front of him and those better keepers have done it at a higher level too.

Nathan Bishop was young when he played regularly for the team in an equally difficult era so age can't be used to insulate these younger players.

Reality is the best of our youth crop (apart from maybe Sayers who seems alright at this level) were sold before they even kicked a ball in anger for SUFC and that should have our fanbase up in arms.
Whether or not he's good enough, he's a young goalkeeper wearing a Southend shirt. The treatment he got yesterday was disgraceful.

Whether or not he's good enough, he's a young goalkeeper wearing a Southend shirt. The treatment he got yesterday was disgraceful.
Don't get me wrong not condoning his treatment at all, I went off on a bit of a tangent to tie the issue back to our fire sales of promising youth players.

It's cruel really because the youth players coming through are considered to be the best of our products but we often find that they were never 'best in year' because the top players have already been sold before they hit the first team

Seaden represented England ahead of keepers at top level clubs, so I refuse to believe that he’s not up to the job. The problem for him, along with many players over the last few years, is the fact that he hasn’t had a chance to gain any confidence in the first place and then before you know it he’s been slaughtered from all angles.

I don’t understand why supporters would turn on the players. Is this the best squad- no. First half not a bad effort against a team at the top of the league. They concede and then the confidence drains away. Don’t know about you but I’m sure if my confidence is low I really enjoy people shouting and moaning at me. Trust me after that game they will feel low enough without people berating them and denting their confidence even more. Encourage not disparage. Shouting at the team and taking the pee out of 20 year old keeper will do nothing. Only make them worse. They need all our help. Let’s get behind them no matter what. We may not be happy with them but let’s try as a unit to build them up! Pointless taking support away if we don’t actually support. It may be hard. We may want to moan but let’s put that aside and try and build them up. We go again
Totally agree with everything you have said. I can also understand the supporters frustrations but berating and being abusive to the players is not the answer. If anything it will lower confidence in them.

Imagine when you go into work or leave work and waiting outside is a group of people who shout nothing but demeaning words at you - it is bound to make you feel worse than you already do. Then multiple that noise several times over. Problem is is something is said enough times eventually you start to believe it.

I’m not sure how some of our fans expect some of these players to improve when they’re constantly telling them how poor they are. Seaden and Egbri seem to be getting the same comments as Acquah did last season. These are young lads and it must really affect their confidence. No wonder Stan said the dressing room was as flat as a pancake. Try ****ing encouraging our players!!

I’m not sure how some of our fans expect some of these players to improve when they’re constantly telling them how poor they are. Seaden and Egbri seem to be getting the same comments as Acquah did last season. These are young lads and it must really affect their confidence. No wonder Stan said the dressing room was as flat as a pancake. Try ****ing encouraging our players!!
The reason they are getting these comments is because they are a bunch of wasters who can't play football!! And should never of been given professional football contracts to play for a living!!

The reason they are getting these comments is because they are a bunch of wasters who can't play football!! And should never of been given professional football contracts to play for a living!!
We are stuck with this lot. We have a new management team. You either support them or slag them off. Which do you think will work?

Totally agree with everything you have said. I can also understand the supporters frustrations but berating and being abusive to the players is not the answer. If anything it will lower confidence in them.

Imagine when you go into work or leave work and waiting outside is a group of people who shout nothing but demeaning words at you - it is bound to make you feel worse than you already do. Then multiple that noise several times over. Problem is is something is said enough times eventually you start to believe it.
It is incredible the amount of people who actually don't understand that they are damaging the side by doing it. They think they pay their money and that gives them the right to do what they like. As if I could walk into a restaurant, pay for my food then throw it up the walls and walk into the kitchen and berate the chef for being ****.

We are stuck with this lot. We have a new management team. You either support them or slag them off. Which do you think will work?
Slagging them off!! Then they will hopefully see what we actually think of them and try and prove us all wrong by winning a game of football!!

What a load of plonkers we have on Shrimperzone! Same comments and nasty remarks as last few seasons. At the end of last season nearly everybody thought it was a good move to bring Brown back. At the beginning of this season they thought he had done well with the team recruitment and should finish around mid-table. Then when he went and with the new management in place they were over the moon and wetting themselves with excitement. Only one game later 10 pages of crap, rubbish, stupid remarks and a load of pessimism. Get a grip, it's not going easy or quick, get used to it and unless you've got something different, interesting or new, please keep it to yourself.

I think unfortunately some of our fans don't understand basic psychology or what support means. They think if we have large numbers then that's OK. I remember the great Alan Moody himself nearly destroyed as a youngster by the fans of his local team Middlesbrough. He said simply he'd never seen anyone play better with the crowd on their back. It can however work in reverse. I remember them getting on Akinfenwa's back when we played Wycombe a few years ago. He got into a bit of banter with fans who called him useless and fat. He was on a non scoring streak. So of course he upped his game and scored the 2 winning goals. They'll never learn

I think everyone is agreed that things need to change at the club.

Sadly, there also needs to be a change in attitude amongst us supporters.

We must realise that abuse of our own players is not being supportive.

As fans, we need to be building an atmosphere which is far more positive.

There is no point in congratulating ourselves on having a large following at away grounds if people are handing an advantage to the opposition by making our own players nervous.

We can no longer kid ourselves that it is only a small minority doing this. Yesterday, the abuse directed towards young Harry Seadon was appalling, unwarranted and was coming from everywhere, not just a few individuals.

Someone else mentioned on here, the case of Ted Smith. It is worth reflecting on the sad story of Ted, a decent young keeper who could not handle the abuse and is now lost to us and to football. Do we really need to do this again to another young player?

I agree with and support the drive to kick racism out of the game, but racism is only one form of ignorance. Perhaps we need to broaden this out with an initiative to stamp out ignorance and intolerance in general.

Back