• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stan Latest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Grimsby are top, played 12 and lost one. Boreham Wood third, Halifax and Bromley in top 5

Please dont tell me the players aren't out there. Grimsby along with Notts County and others changed their sides quite quickly. at little cost in most circumstances

Because of squad limits as well the number of players available from league 1 and 2 has doubled in just 18 months, Over 350 were let go and many of these snapped up by the likes of Grimsby and Notts County, let alone the good loanees attracted and the decent signings from lower leagues

I see Grimsby are top, played 12 and lost one. Boreham Wood third, Halifax and Bromley in top 5

Please dont tell me the players aren't out there. Grimsby along with Notts County and others changed their sides quite quickly. at little cost in most circumstances

Because of squad limits as well the number of players available from league 1 and 2 has doubled in just 18 months, Over 350 were let go and many of these snapped up by the likes of Grimsby and Notts County, let alone the good loanees attracted and the decent signings from lower leagues
Yes. Phil brown and anton robinson have a lot to answer for.

Just beats repeating that Stan said it was Grimsby his recruitment guy went into in the summer and turned them inside out with new signings…

Just beats repeating that Stan said it was Grimsby his recruitment guy went into in the summer and turned them inside out with new signings…
Yeah but some people would rather have us carry on letting one person look after recruitment and keep the same employees at the club who have had a large part in us being where we are. Madness.

Last edited:
I am fairly sure it there had been another set of eyes on the potential signings we did bring in there is a possibility we would of been lumbered with one of the useless trio of Dunne, Ogogo and Atkinson but definitely not the three. Due diligence that was even fan level could see that Dunne was finished as he was dumped by a poor Barnet side, Ogogo was once a very solid league one and two player and Dagenham were interested in him so was potentially worth a punt for a season for experience and bite, Atkinson had fallen so far off the radar he hadn't played this century really.

You stick those options with Ferguson, who god bless him has the ability but sadly seems to be lacking the attitude to be a competitive footballer and have any combo of those three in a three man midfield and your right In the brown stuff. Compound that with the fact our defence is constantly being chopped and changed with injuries and ancient players and employing a winger and a centre midfielder as Wing backs? Lunacy.

We are not down yet but we really really need fresh bodies in who at least have some kind of athleticism, pace and drive to stop every game being a complete free pass for every team we come up against.

I think the Grimsby example is very relevant to us. Relegated alongside us last season but have started this season in complete contrast, 4 points clear at the top. How? Why? What are the main drivers? Is there anything we can copy from their success given how short term their reverse of fortunes have been?

Has this question been posed to Stan, I’m sure he must have looked closely at Grimsby so would love to know what he thinks about this.

Stan is obviously very advanced, clever, a forward thinker,, self reliant, exceptional and brilliantly enthusiastic and optimistic

Why would we not want that?

His enthusiasm seems to know no bounds and maybe sometimes hurts him, his level of activity makes me want to sit on the couch for longer, whilst excited by and admiring his effort

Why wouldnt we want that?

Stan may seem a little too unorthodox for some but thats the risk you take with visionaries

Why wouldnt Ron and Tom want that chance ? Take it soon, what have you got to lose??

Keep going Stan, keep up the idealism , boy we need it, and sorry if we feed off you too much

Best wishes to you and your Mum who comes first for now

I think the Grimsby example is very relevant to us. Relegated alongside us last season but have started this season in complete contrast, 4 points clear at the top. How? Why? What are the main drivers? Is there anything we can copy from their success given how short term their reverse of fortunes have been?

Has this question been posed to Stan, I’m sure he must have looked closely at Grimsby so would love to know what he thinks about this.
New owners certainly helped. But they had a complete overhaul of the playing staff over the summer as well. Clearly they did their homework on the players they brought in, they probably weren't just mates of the manager from a few years back

The recruitment guy I want in, who interviewed exceptionally, who has every practical and football industry and business qualification in the book went into Grimsby as a consultant in pre season.

Oldest squad in the division.

11 out 9 in (forgive me, may be the other way round)

Gave soup to nuts on their squad as was, what was needed, was listened to and then worked with the club to act quickly. No fuss, no trauma, just data based on eyeballs watching lots of games and players.

Top of the league. Today. Exactly the same cards we were dealt in May 2021.

I know for a fact that our recruitment was so bad that a friend of a friend of mine, who hadn't been active in scouting for 4 years was called up by someone in the previous regime, asking for player recommendations. The guy politely said "I haven't watched a game for 4 years ".

This is how connected to the football matrix Southend United Football department was.

As opposed to a "pundit" who can get anyone in this sport of the phone within 30 minutes.

The recruitment at Southend United Football Club, in my opinion has been the worst in English football in recent years. And most of you don't know 1% of what's gone on.

But good people are here and it's going to change. But for those good people, the stench of failure and those responsibility have to be out of the building or those good people will not want to be involved.

Common sense it's called, something in short supply at this wonderful football club in recent years.
Stan, couldnt agree more and something ive been bleating on about since joining this forum some years back

Cant wait to see you get the proper chance back here you thoroughly deserve
Good luck with the upcoming negotiations, !!

Ron and Tom.
I think if you lost Stan, you would loose the remaining support of the fans.
Some will stop going to games
Some will just turn on you after sitting on the fence.
The protests will get a whole lot worse.
WE NEED STAN.
Dont let us down any further than you already have.
Do the right thing by the fans and the club.

Ron and Tom.
I think if you lost Stan, you would loose the remaining support of the fans.
Some will stop going to games
Some will just turn on you after sitting on the fence.
The protests will get a whole lot worse.
WE NEED STAN.
Dont let us down any further than you already have.
Do the right thing by the fans and the club.
By crikey! Some people really are dramatic. Stop watching the reruns of Poldark and switch over to Nickelodeon.
Stan will stay on or he won't. The world will keep on turning and The Blues will merrily wend their way in one direction or another.
You don't need Stan you need Valium.

By crikey! Some people really are dramatic. Stop watching the reruns of Poldark and switch over to Nickelodeon.
Stan will stay on or he won't. The world will keep on turning and The Blues will merrily wend their way in one direction or another.
You don't need Stan you need Valium.
But surely we (the fans) understand that we (the club) have already bought into Stans suggestion for a coaching set up alongside Director of Football and Head of Recruitment? At the moment we have the 3 wise men without Mary and the Baby Jesus.

Last edited:
I think Stan has highlighted the problems with our club and we need Stan to continue with this major overhaul. Just hope the club can come to acceptable terms with Stan.
Stan gives us hope, without him well we will be in further decline.
The squad that the new coaching team have inherited is very poor but it’s all we have at present. We need to get behind all of the team players and staff at Roots Hall. I understand everybody has an opinion, right or wrong but please don’t push the people away that want to help. All the negative posts are killing our club, if you can’t post positive don’t go trolling.
We all want success, all I say is please be patient. I’m sure new players will come soon, but it will take time. Getting on the players back during matches is not helping.
I hope Stan and Tom can sort a deal out this week and it will be a massive plus for us.

Looking at the Grimsby lineup yesterday and keeping this strictly factual, four of the regulars from the side of last season were included in the starting line up, another was a sub, the club captain, Coke. Two more of the new signings, namely Sears and McAtee were with Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury, and he is on record of 'being aware' of Crookes, so no doubt the manager was instrumental in getting them in. The change of ownership obviously helped as well and it is interesting that the Mariners Trust hold a 14% stake in the club

But surely we (the fans) understand that we (the club) have already bought into Stans suggestion for a coaching set up alongside Director of Football and Head of Recruitment? At the moment we have the 3 wise men without Mary and the Baby Jesus.
We the fans? You speak for us all? Clearly not for me. I'm ok with Stan having a role IF the club want him. I'm not excited at the prospect but the decision is not mine to make. So many fans are getting too carried away.

Last edited by a moderator:
We the fans? You speak for us all? Clearly not for me. I'm ok with Stan having a role IF the club want him. I'm not excited at the prospect but the decision is not mine to make. So many fans are getting too carried away.
I wasn’t speaking for anyone. I said surely the fans realise this. Not that surely they agree with it. Go troll somewhere else. You and your nonsense are boring.

I was truly shocked by your post, then I remembered the traditional way of greeting a pope. Phew!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back