• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Dagenham & Redbridge 3-0 Southend United

Slagging them off!! Then they will hopefully see what we actually think of them and try and prove us all wrong by winning a game of football!!

It doesn’t work. I can understand the collective groans, and a few expletives, goodness knows I was doing it myself enough yesterday. But screaming abuse is a different matter.

And you know what, even if it did work (which it doesn’t), it is just plain wrong.

Slagging them off!! Then they will hopefully see what we actually think of them and try and prove us all wrong by winning a game of football!!
How do you expect them to win a football game if there's a fear of them being catapulted with abuse for simple mistakes.

When we played Cherstey, despite going behind, the fans were positive and encouraged the players. Surprise, we played well.

Well, apart from the **** in the East who abused Kargbo

I always want us to win games, even when we're 3-0 down I'll still be checking my phone at work every five minutes to see if the comeback is on. Today, i knew there was still a likelihood we were going to lose.
Trouble is we go 1 nil down and a comeback is never on. It's been like that for over three years now. Apart from against Chertsey!

Stan just ignore the few idiots on here , you have done a great job so far, hope we get you on board as clearly our new management team are going to need help. Ron.Tom get this man in this club this week, he adds value.

Once they are on the pitch wearing a Southend shirt any player can be forgiven for anything except for not trying. If they are putting in and making an effort anyone who offers anything less than encouragement is not much of a supporter.

Fella, I'm not one for ever criticising a persons opinion - to which we're all entitled - but for you I'll make this one exception; you really do spout some BS at times....

If Maher and his troops turn this round it’ll be worthy of Sturrock’s miracle. We are in a state of array from the players through to the fans. What an utter, utter mess. Only glimmer of light is that Maher turned his career around and we have to believe that grit and determination will rub off.

Steve

This not only is proven not to work to motivate with this modern generation of young people, it actively destroys them.

I was an apprentice in 1987. Coaching was "break you to make you" and much of the training was based on National Service ( football and armed forces training/motivation ran parallel for several generations post war).

Bullied, barracked, the "prove us wrong" mentality that you outlined above. It worked then for some but even then it forced out many from the game. Me nearly too.

Today, there is no war, young people are motivated by many different factors, and conversations with many coaches ( and perplexed old school managers) comes up with the same answer.

If you use "break the to make them", you'll just break them. Completely counter productive

I spoke to Brendan Rodgers, an excellent youth coach before becoming a manager.

How do you treat modern players? Youngsters?

"Carrot only, Stan, never stick. You just can't do that with this generation because their reality is very different from ours 30 years ago and way before that "

Listen to Kev's comments yesterday post match. Basically saying "We're not going to add even more bollockings because that will drive them further down ".

In my opinion, Phil Brown, in his old school "show me your character" spiel, lapped up by many on here let's not forget, pushed many players to the point of no return.

Football fans and fans on forums tend to be of the older demographic.

Bottle
Character
Determination
Show them
Graft
Desire

All noble qualities that my Grandad had when in the trenches in Ypres and Somme. Likewise many of you reading this who had to work from nothing to get something in life because 30,40, 50 years ago life was tougher. Much tougher.

Today, whether you like it or not, a daily bollocking,taking players for 10 mile runs as punishment and calling out their character doesn't work to motivate young footballers. It just doesn't.

So if it doesn't, logic simply dictates, why do it?

One of the reasons we brought the 3 guys in was because we asked all of them how they'd manage modern players. Their answers proved that they have an approach that will bring players on board, not demolish them even more.

Mark Bentley has been a teacher in recent years alongside his cracking job at Canvey. He worked with 16-18 year olds, got into the heads of youngsters on pennies at Canvey so for me was absolutely crucial in working our dressing room.

3 weeks ago? Running on pavement around Southend because the bollockings weren't hitting home, so we'll bollock you more until you do.

It doesn't work anymore.

Well done all those travelling today and great turnout.
Quote of the day came from Akinola who walked past us at the end and quite simply said “f***ing embarrassing”
Was he referring to the players or some of the fans? Some of the disgraceful stuff I've read directed at Seaden, and about Stan are what let some of our support down. They've already ruined the career of one promising young keeper at RH (Ted Smith), whatever they think about Seaden, don't let this happen again. The coaching team will be quite aware that he needs time elsewhere, and I would have thought GK cover is a high priority.

Last edited:
Some clearly aren’t listening to what is being said in these zoom calls despite posting how great they are and fully support everything being said in them. The above statement from Stan was virtually word for word stated in the last zoom call…perhaps people should stop, listen and take on board what is being said. You don’t have to agree with it but debate it at the time not after a 3 : 0 defeat in an effort to support your own actions

Mmm much the same, even first half, sloppy start to second half, concede and 8 mins later 3-0 and game over. What a job for the new management team.

Seaden 4
Howard 5
White 5
Hobson 5
Egbri 6 MOTM
Dunne 5
Ferguson 5
Ogogo 5
Bridge 6
Murphy 5
Dalby 5

Phillips 6
Sayers 5

Terrell Egbri edges MOTM for me, ran miles and gave 100%. Thought Phillips looked classy when he came on. But overall really disappointed no new manager bounce, my how we missed Nathan Ralph today and Arnold in goal who would have prevented the two headed goals. UTB
Really interested by this, I saw early promise in Terrell last season but comments elsewhere suggest he’s ‘hopeless/useless’ etc and no end product. I know you’ve still only edged it with a six for him, but I’d be keen to read if anyone else thinks he’s still a talent that needs that positive coaching we’re all looking forward to.

I really miss watching the games this season!

Really interested by this, I saw early promise in Terrell last season but comments elsewhere suggest he’s ‘hopeless/useless’ etc and no end product. I know you’ve still only edged it with a six for him, but I’d be keen to read if anyone else thinks he’s still a talent that needs that positive coaching we’re all looking forward to.

I really miss watching the games this season!

I was quite impressed with him yesterday tbh.

I’ve not been a paid up member of the Egbri fan club, but I’ve always respected and enjoyed his ability to drive forward.

His final ball is left wanting more often than not, and his decision making isn’t great at times. But these are things that he can learn and improve upon.

The one thing he offers that very few others in the squad can, is pace. Myles Weston struggled to contain him in the first half yesterday, and time and time again Egbri found himself in dangerous positions down the right flank.

He was our best player in that first half, and looked fired up to prove his worth. Unfortunately, as with a lot of the others, he tired and drifted out of the game.

Ideally, he’d be the type of youngster that is blooded into a positive, confident team, where he would be more likely to progress.

On that basis, you’re opening yourself up for a lot of “slagging off” based on the quality of your insight.

Thankfully this coaching team aren’t likely to work on “hopefully”. They will assess and develop their players wherever possible.

We’ve just moved on from someone who reportedly liked to publicly criticise his players, I’m looking forward to what a positive coaching team can deliver.

I do sometimes wonder if your perspective is based on your own personal experience, does your manager have to ‘slag you off’ constantly? Rhetorical question by the way.

I’ve not been a paid up member of the Egbri fan club, but I’ve always respected and enjoyed his ability to drive forward.

His final ball is left wanting more often than not, and his decision making isn’t great at times. But these are things that he can learn and improve upon.

The one thing he offers that very few others in the squad can, is pace. Myles Weston struggled to contain him in the first half yesterday, and time and time again Egbri found himself in dangerous positions down the right flank.

He was our best player in that first half, and looked fired up to prove his worth. Unfortunately, as with a lot of the others, he tired and drifted out of the game.

Ideally, he’d be the type of youngster that is blooded into a positive, confident team, where he would be more likely to progress.
Brilliant, really appreciate this ??

I think your final sentence sums it up for me. When Egbri played against Chertsey last weekend, he actually put some decent deliveries into the penalty area. When they arrived, there was either no-one in position to convert them, because they lacked the confidence to get into good positions in the penalty area, or when they did receive them, they lacked the belief take a shot on and cut back inside and were dispossessed. In an alternative universe, Terrell has a couple of assists to his name and he gets a lot more credit. The overall confidence of the squad has a lot to do with the perception of a player.

Egbri's performance at Dagenham for me was similar to Louis Walsh's at Solihull. They both looked to get on the ball, they both looked bright when they had the ball at their feet but they couldn't quite produce that end product, but there's something to work with in relation to both players if we have some patience (something that's in far too short supply at the moment). It's easier for both of them to come off the bench and put in a half-hour cameo when defensive players are tiring.

Worth noting that Egbri is also not a wing-back, but because of his work-rate, his determination and his willingness to track back, he's always likely to be preferred in that role to Walsh. He, like Rob Howard, who is a right-back that can do a job in the centre of defence, is being judged without being able to play, at the moment, in his favoured position. I'm sure, in time, when injuries aren't so much of an issue, he'll be able to play out wide as a winger without those defensive responsbilities and we'll see him progress.

You only have to go back 18 months, to Sol Campbell's last match in charge against Bristol Rovers, to see what a side with more confidence might've been able to do. Egbri on that day finished a wonderful move by sliding home an Eren Kinali centre. I'm not suggesting for a minute that Campbell didn't have his faults, and I thought it was right time for the two parties to separate in the summer of 2020, but that young side that day certainly played with a lot more confidence than we've seen in the past season-and-a-half and provided us with some hope.

Back