• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

£10,000,000 per game !

The football league have TV rights to our games. So the miniscule 1minute of highlights on the club web site is all they let us see. If these were longer the clubs could earn from adverts or better still show say a full away match in mid week at the social club etc. would certainly help clubs like ours.

The club are allowed to do more, at the beginning of this season they had the full game available to watch the day or so after.

Not sure if they still do so.

My team have only played one game in the last 7 weeks due to postponements,training has become a joke as clubs understandably do not want their training pitches cut to ribbons.

IMO for some age groups (those playing 7-a-side and under possibly) should play futsal during the winter months, on 3g pitch or indoors. The problem isn't the lack of 3g pitches, but the price. Some of the prices I was given to play for an hour on some of the local 3g pitches are way overpriced. Of course, this might come down if there is more competition but if everyone is charging the same then it won't help.

The pitches don't need to be perfect to develop players. The best dribblers are those who played on uneven surfaces, so if you can control a ball at pace on cobbled pavements then you can do the same on carpet pitches.

Futsal shouldn't be seen as a replacement for football, it should be a supplement. I know the merits of the game, but in my opinion they're extremely limited when it comes to application into game-related play. I took one lad from a futsal session and invited him down to play for the Sunday team I coach and he just couldn't hack it.

The youth football calendar should've been shifted years ago. Instead of running concurrently to senior football August through May, it should be ran February/March through to November. Pitches are higher quality, kids are more conducive to coach when it's warm (have you ever tried getting a group of 12 children to focus on anything other than Christmas in December?) and development isn't stunted so much by the weather. Yes, kids sod off on holiday during the school holidays, but there's more than enough time between those months for a three-week break, with most youth leagues now opting for two shorter seasons as opposed to one.

I'd be far more open to building, say 500 instead of 1,000 3G pitches and spending the other circa £150m in ensuring each grassroots club had access to one football per child and professionalising amateur coaches.

Would love to see some of this money paying for 3G pitches around the country,I understand the cost is around 300k per pitch so in reality 300 million would pay for 1000 pitches which still leaves around 95% for the prem.

Completely agree.

Agree Pubey.

So you agree with Pubey, who was actually agreeing with you in the first place.

:winking:

FWIW, I happen to agree aswell!

My son plays for a Sunday league team. He's only 6 so he plays 5 a side. They have 6 matches going on at once, all on a full size 3G pitch. Apart from the consistency of conditions week in week out, it also means they have never had a game cancelled.

He also trains on another 3G five aside pitch once a week, and I don't think they have ever cancelled a training session.

My only gripe is that the rubber crumb used on the pitches gets everywhere. We now make him take his boots, socks and shin pads off in the porch so that we only have to vacuum one small area...twice a week!

Fixture congestion has long been a problem at Sunday league level. The game cancellations are very rarely justified either, we find that the council often do a blanket cancellation of their pitches this time of year when our pitch and I’m sure many others are perfectly playable. The real issue comes when you are successful, our 1[SUP]st[/SUP] team had a long run in FA Sunday cup, are still in the Essex premier cup (quarters) and are in the semi’s of the league cup. Postponements have meant we have only played 6 league games, the two sides above us have played 12! A couple of the cancelled games been on would have helped us avoid a situation of double headers etc which I’m sure we will encounter at the end of the season.

Youth football has come on massively in my time, I remember starting at Baddow Spartak under 6’s playing on a full size pitch with full size goals. Things are getting better but with the money in the game now there should be an extra effort to provide as mrsblue suggests. It is a drop in the ocean and would be much needed good PR at a time where the premier league is coming under fire.

Imagine if every non league club had a 3G surface !

The opportunities are endless,floodlit junior leagues,endless training sessions,matches can virtually be played from 10am Sunday morning through to 7pm,Senior teams would clamber to play...everybody wins including the non league club.

Personally I don't care about the Prem because it's not real world as many families are priced out of it,non league would become the norm if they offered 3G facilities,imagine kids watching the first team knowing they also play on the very same pitch and use the same changing rooms.

The prem are awash with money so easily could afford this venture.

Imagine if every non league club had a 3G surface !

The opportunities are endless,floodlit junior leagues,endless training sessions,matches can virtually be played from 10am Sunday morning through to 7pm,Senior teams would clamber to play...everybody wins including the non league club.

Personally I don't care about the Prem because it's not real world as many families are priced out of it,non league would become the norm if they offered 3G facilities,imagine kids watching the first team knowing they also play on the very same pitch and use the same changing rooms.

The prem are awash with money so easily could afford this venture.

I'm a big fan of there being a lot more 3G surfaces across the country for all levels of football to use. I posted this in an old thread but it's still relevant.

Iceland has 28 full-size 3G pitches (as of 2012) for a population of 320,000.

Sheffield has a population of 550,000 and I can't think of more than 10 full size 3G pitches.

There can't be many in South East Essex either.

I'm a big fan of there being a lot more 3G surfaces across the country for all levels of football to use. I posted this in an old thread but it's still relevant.

The football conference have voted in favour of clubs using this surface if they wish,I think it's the ONLY way forward for grassroots football as councils I believe are so hard pressed they cannot maintain park pitches and probably wish to build on them anyway.

Completely agree. It's no wonder we can't develop young players who are confident at passing:

img_1094.jpg

Rubbish you never saw George Best glide past players on this kind of pitch then, or Charlie Cooke pin point a pass to Osgood's feet
A pitch is an even playing surface for both teams at the end of the day, and if you have quality players they will adapt.
We are too soft now, the ball is lighter and then any pro player worth his salt ,should be able to pass on any kind of surface, not saying 100 % of the time but a majority

UTS

The football conference have voted in favour of clubs using this surface if they wish,I think it's the ONLY way forward for grassroots football as councils I believe are so hard pressed they cannot maintain park pitches and probably wish to build on them anyway.

The only practical issue is what happens if the conference club then gets promoted and the Football League don't allow their pitch to be used?

The only practical issue is what happens if the conference club then gets promoted and the Football League don't allow their pitch to be used?

The FL will Imo follow suit hopefully very soon,if they don't then they are arses and should not be running the professional game.

The FL will Imo follow suit hopefully very soon,if they don't then they are arses and should not be running the professional game.

They may well do, but if they don't, what would the answer be? The only real answer is that they have to rip up the pitch and grow a grass one. Which would really mean there's no point in the investment in the first place, and that is a shame.

Borehamwood are interesting. Their stadium has a grass pitch, but their training pitch, which is next to the ground, is 3G. So maybe that is some kind of solution.

Non League clubs are for-profit organisations. I don't see any justification for them getting a hand-out from this money for something which they'll make a commercial benefit from. If it will be so popular and so well used then they can take a loan out for it, surely?

I'm not opposed to the idea of more such pitches at real grass-roots level but if it is about supporting a roll-out for clubs in the Pyramid then that should be the responsibility of the FA and Regional FAs as opposed to the Premier League.

Borehamwood are interesting. Their stadium has a grass pitch, but their training pitch, which is next to the ground, is 3G. So maybe that is some kind of solution.

3g on training pitch is fine and if the FA can help fund for clubs to get them and hire them out to local clubs/schools at a low cost for when training & match pitches are unplayable.

Don't see the point in having 3g pitch in the stadium. In the football league, grass is fine and there are rarely any postponements. Some players can't train on 3g pitches, so imagine if they replaced grass and essentially ended their careers. There seems to be lots of moaning when England play against other countries on these surfaces.

They may well do, but if they don't, what would the answer be? The only real answer is that they have to rip up the pitch and grow a grass one. Which would really mean there's no point in the investment in the first place, and that is a shame.

I think in this day and age it is ridiculous that the average non league ground is only used for around 10 hours each week and in summer virtually not at all.

Look at Witham Town their pitch even at its very best is awful having played on it several times,3G paid for by the prem would transform WT and indeed the Town itself as the ground wiould become a family hub with many teams senior and junior using the pitch and other facilities,The football club could charge minimum fees for the usage and to cover floodlight costs and everyone has their chance to shine playing football on a decent surface.

3g on training pitch is fine and if the FA can help fund for clubs to get them and hire them out to local clubs/schools at a low cost for when training & match pitches are unplayable.

Don't see the point in having 3g pitch in the stadium. In the football league, grass is fine and there are rarely any postponements. Some players can't train on 3g pitches, so imagine if they replaced grass and essentially ended their careers. There seems to be lots of moaning when England play against other countries on these surfaces.

Not many non league clubs will advance to the FL without massive resources and if they ever achieved the feat then that bridge will need to be crossed then.

Professional players should be able to adapt on any surface and those who say they cannot play on 3G will either adapt or play elsewhere.

I think in this day and age it is ridiculous that the average non league ground is only used for around 10 hours each week and in summer virtually not at all.

Look at Witham Town their pitch even at its very best is awful having played on it several times,3G paid for by the prem would transform WT and indeed the Town itself as the ground wiould become a family hub with many teams senior and junior using the pitch and other facilities,The football club could charge minimum fees for the usage and to cover floodlight costs and everyone has their chance to shine playing football on a decent surface.

No-one's arguing with you on that, which is why the Conference have allowed such a move. My worry is that most conference clubs won't pay for a 3G pitch because they won't be able to make a return on their investment should they get promoted. They just end up with the expense of having to rip up the pitch as replace it with grass.

Back