• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Says CP.

£500k + add-ons. Hardly a surprise given we're led to believe that the last Sheff Utd bid was similar.

Time for one of them to stump up the cash.

Millwall have improved bid rejected for Blues midfielder Leonard

SOUTHEND United have opted to reject an improved offer from Millwall for midfielder Ryan Leonard.

More...

Says CP.

£500k + add-ons. Hardly a surprise given we're led to believe that the last Sheff Utd bid was similar.

Yes - the time is approaching for either Sheffield or Millwall to increase their bid.

Let's hope they don't.

With Sheffield United signing Lundstram, I think it's a one horse race. Unless Bolton were to get involved.

Not happening says the local rag in South London

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/...est-southend-star-leonard-fresh-bid-rejected/

Millwall have called it quits in their hopes of signing Ryan Leonard.

The South London Press understands that the Lions will now move on to other midfield targets after being unable to prise the 25-year-old away from Southend United.

And the Southend Echo have quotes from boss Phil Brown that an improved offer from Millwall has been rejected earlier this week.

“The chairman has turned down another offer for Ryan and the message is we don’t want to sell him,” said Brown.

“It’s flattering that two or three clubs want him and I would imagine that will continue to be the case until the transfer window closes at the end of August.”

Both Millwall and Sheffield United have lodged bids this summer, but the Shrimpers have resisted all offers for Leonard, who has been voted Player of the Year in the last two seasons.

The former Plymouth Argyle man’s long-term future is still uncertain.

He is in the final year of his contract at Roots Hall and has yet to sign new terms which have been offered to him.

Really dont think Millwall is a step up. Their home crowds are toxic these days; on the back of players and many fans staying away because of the dire football and the idiots who are ruining it for everyone else in the stands. They will be back in League 1 next year as Harris wont be able to step up from the negative football.

Says CP.

I think many clubs will take the view that 500,000 is not insubstantial for a player who can walk free next summer.

I think many clubs will take the view that 500,000 is not insubstantial for a player who can walk free next summer.

True, but an unavailable player will have a lot more options that someone with a year left, so it depends on how much they want him

Personally I can see Millwall struggling next season, so would that be a good option for Lenny?

On the plus side, we can't be desperate for money if we're turning down bids, even though this money has apparently paid for Kightley's wages!!

Possibly, but the gamble in playing for promotion is worth considerably more, and that is why Ron isn't selling.

For what it's worth, I agree with OBL.

A good move by Ron at this stage in my opinion. Leonard could be key for our promotion or play off place. The risk of £500,000 outway's the cost of the additional revenue for SUFC being promoted to the Championship.

We all know Ryan's worth more than that, and the later this saga drags on, can only play in our favour. If they think they will get him on a bargain basket, I think Sheff Utd & Millwall are sorely mistaken. Would probably make Ron think twice even if he got £675,000 + add on's.

Leonard won't down tools, if he did or didn't want to play for the club, he will want to up he's game to prove his worth as a Championship player.. After all, there's no point in de-valuing yourself in terms of performance, regardless of what ever final position we finish in come next April.... Besides, there's always the January transfer window! :smile:

Its obvious Leonard doesn't want to be here, this saga's been rumbling on all summer.
Sorry but £500k + is a lot of money, lets do the deal with either Millwall, or Sheff U, or anyone else who wants to pay the most, give Phil some money to strengthen the team now. The alternate is he goes on deadline day and we don't have time to replace. How much 'more' than that is a disinterested player with 1 year on his contract really worth?
Sorry if I'm in a minority but I really feel trying to hard to keep him will be detrimental.

IF we did let him go between now and the start of the season we will be fools. No one to replace him but money in the bank isn't going to help us at all.

We shouldn't consider selling one of our best players if the offers made don't meet our valuation. Interestingly Ron's stance all along has been "Ryan Leonard is not for sale" rather than "you need to bid higher".

Aren't there rules about these repeated attempts to prise him away from us? I don't for a minute believe that there won't have been contact with RL, either directly or through his agent, about what they'd offer him and what he could do to convince the club to let him go. For example publicly submit a transfer request, but don't actually go through with it so you don't lose your bonuses, signing-on fees etc.

Back