• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

£5 notes

MK Shrimper

Striker
Here's one to ponder....

Why is it every time I buy something under £5 with a £10 note I get a handful of pound coins?

Is this a government conspiracy to do away with the "bluey"?

Just had the same think given 9 £1 coins in change from a tenner. A fiver is a very rare sight these days. Those that you do see are threadbare to say the least. I suspect the £5 note will be a thing of the past within the next 5 years, and be replaced by coinage.

hope so it'll mean no more fivers in cards, bring in the tenners :D

Just imagine what it's like when you live in a country where the £1 note is still legal tender? :cry:

I swear whenever I handover a tenner (e.g. usually in Greggs) and they clock my accent, they sneak out however many £1 notes they can for my change. B*stards!

Just imagine what it's like when you live in a country where the £1 note is still legal tender? :cry:

I swear whenever I handover a tenner (e.g. usually in Greggs) and they clock my accent, they sneak out however many £1 notes they can for my change. B*stards!

And then you try to palm that sweaty money onto Stats who has bought you a ticket to a grim northern away game :D

Yep, apparently the Bank of England is deliberately holding these back so the ones in circulation last longer. Also, the Banks aren't ordering them like they used to because they no longer give em out from ATM's. The reason for that is because the banks do not want to fill up the machines every 5 minutes. £5 coins are surely only a matter of time.

Incidentally, has anyone seen the new £20 notes? What the f***? They have a Scotsman named ADAM SMITH 1723-1790 on em! What a disgrace!!!!

Last edited:
Here's one to ponder....

Why is it every time I buy something under £5 with a £10 note I get a handful of pound coins?

Is this a government conspiracy to do away with the "bluey"?

I now use a debit/credit card whenever I can to avoid this problem. Not only do all these coins unnecessarily weigh your wallet down, shop assistants take an age to count the change. Far quicker to use chip and pin.

And then you try to palm that sweaty money onto Stats who has bought you a ticket to a grim northern away game :D

They weren't £1 notes though!
Remind me next time you are kind enough to sort out the tickets to pay you in a stash of greenbacks!

I now use a debit/credit card whenever I can to avoid this problem. Not only do all these coins unnecessarily weigh your wallet down, shop assistants take an age to count the change. Far quicker to use chip and pin.

Bit difficult to do that at the sandwich van mate.

Back