• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread ❌POSTPONED❌: Southend United v Barnet, Tuesday 28th December.

Starting XI and result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 32 88.9%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • John White

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 33 91.7%
  • Josh Coulson

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Kacper Łopata

• Nathan Ralph

• Tom Clifford

• James Dunne

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Will Atkinson

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Lewis Gard

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Zak Brunt

• Terrell Egbri

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Louis Walsh

• Sam Dalby

Votes: 32 88.9%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Matt Dennis

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Harry Seaden

• Rob Howard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ….

• ….

• ….

• ….

• Win

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Lose

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Well, the games come thick and fast this time of year, at least they do for us - although Tuesday’s opponents, Barnet, haven’t played for 10 days due to a COVID postponement.

Finally a game against a team that we have a bit of history against. Our record against the north Londoners stretches back to December 1946 when we beat them 9-2 at their place in the FA Cup, and overall we’ve a record of 9 wins, 6 defeats and 2 draws against them. The most interesting time between the two clubs was when we poached their manager, Barry Fry, and he went back to nab most of their best players which led to a fair bit of animosity at the time.

So onto Tuesday’s game at Roots Hall, which hopefully will go ahead. The Bees, now under the management of Dean Brennan, have had a bit of an up and down season. They have lost their last two games, but before that they won 5 out of 6 to lift themselves up to 16th place, 9 points above the blues.

Having not played since 18th December, Barnet should be fresher than Blues who will have 2 games in less than 48 hours. So what can Kev do to freshen things up?

Presumably Fergy still has the lurgy, White and Dunne both went off injured against Bromley and so must be doubtful and we don’t know if Kacper is ready to play again yet.

Murphy looked lively when he came on, but Dennis has 2 goals in consecutive games so it seems harsh to drop him. Coulson looked like he hasn’t held back on the mince pies during the festive period, so I’m not sure he’d get through 90 minutes. So, who would you choose and what do you predict the result to be?

Last edited:
I’d go with as few changes as possible.

Gard for Dunne whether he’s fit or not as he really impressed vs Bromley. Coulson for White if he’s concussed, but would go with White if he’s fit.

The real debate will be whether Murphy comes in, but it’d be hard to drop either Dalby or Dennis after last night. Suppose fitness may dictate that after 2 games in 3 days, but having a fresh Murphy to come off the bench is a threat anyway.

On paper this is a much easier fixture and if we play like last night again we should win, but think the first goal will be crucial. We tend to look a bit more nervy at home, so feel like it could end up being 2/3-0 depending on which way that first goal goes.

Fingers crossed the match goes ahead and we can get 3 points.

Barnet are not at the level of Bromley and if we play with the same attacking purpose then we can win this one.

Be interesting to see how much crowds are affected by stay awayers.

Really difficult to speculate on the team, because it really depends on how well they've recovered from yesterday. My only suggestion would be to bring in a couple yesterday's benched players to freshen it up. Coulson for JW ? Gard for Dunne ?

Dalby might be up for a partial break.
Why not Dennis and Murphy to start, with Dalby for one of the latter pair later?
Lack of options suggests Atkinson gets another game, although when did Ferguson test positive? Seven days is it now before resumption?
Barnet are fresher, but at least Blues come into it off the back of a decent performance.

Wasn't it written/said/stated as medical fact that Demi couldn't play 2 games in 7 days? And now 2 in 3 days is expected? Not sure about that or his availability for another 90+ minutes when subs might be at a premium with other knocks and niggles being tested?

Arnold, Ralph, Hobson, Clifford, Brunt, Gard, Dalby and Dennis are likely 8 "easy" names for team sheet.
Is Murph fitter/ready for this (9/11)

So who else is ready? 2 of CB, RB, CM spots to be filled on start and bench for subbing,.

This certainly shows how thin our squad is.
With availability & suitability questions on White, Dunne, Fergie, (Demi) for fitness, added to Coulson.

Walsh or Rush as impact sub?

Barnet have a massive advantage here since they haven't played in 10 days, 2 matches in 48 hours is a tough ask.

Fingers crossed the match goes ahead and we can get 3 points.

Barnet are not at the level of Bromley and if we play with the same attacking purpose then we can win this one.

Be interesting to see how much crowds are affected by stay awayers.
Bromley are not at the level of us

Dunne out, Lopata out and White looking doubtful.

Dunne out, Lopata out and White looking doubtful.
Gard in for Dunne. I do worry about Coulson in for White though.

Barnet like to play a 4-2-3-1, so if we stick for a 3-5-2 then we could be exposing Demetriou (if he can play 2 games in 3 days) and Clifford in those wide areas. Especially as they look to have their most creative players in wide positions.

We could match them and go for:

Arnold
Demetriou Hobson Ralph Clifford
Gard Atkinson
Walsh Brunt Dennis
Dalby​

From the Barnet Fans Forum:

Ho Ho Ho..... Tuesday sees the bees hit the road and take on Sarfend United, the pride of Essex (Sorry Dagenham and Ex-Bees), and a team currently in trouble both on and off the pitch in the bananarama league.

Sarfend have an owner in Ron Martin who makes Tony Kleanthous look like a saint. His dodgy dealings and running away from HMRC have left the Sarfend fans rightly furious and the club with a transfer embargo to boot. His ticketing arrangements (cash on the door) are positively Del Boy in their approach and it is hard to escape the feeling that once he has got his grubby hands on the ground he will be off faster than a rat up a drain pipe. If Sarfend sing "Martin Out" chants I will definitely join in, no supporters deserve to go through that.

Still in the spirit of Christmas I am going to try and focus on the positives. Darren Currie who did a good job with Barnet, eventually, and rebuilt the relationship between the club and supporters has finally found a job working at Sarfend as assistant manager and with Simeon Akinola there too it must be like a ho-ho-home from home for him. Sarfend's away section is notoriously poor with not enough room to swing a reindeer or even a mouse in terms of leg room. As a taller person I will be making a dash for the back row so I can stand up without crumpling in to one of the seats which is bolted on the terrace. Honestly that terrace is elf and safety gone mad.

I watched them play Bromley on TV last night. They didn't look as poor as I had expected and on several occasions got through the Bromley defence quite easily. We'll need to be at our best tomorrow.

Agreed, they’re not a bad side. They’re absolutely devoid of confidence though, they look like we did at times last year - physically incapable of winning despite playing well.

At least our pedestrian midfield is unlikely to be out run if Dunne plays

From the Barnet Fans Forum:

Ho Ho Ho..... Tuesday sees the bees hit the road and take on Sarfend United, the pride of Essex (Sorry Dagenham and Ex-Bees), and a team currently in trouble both on and off the pitch in the bananarama league.

Sarfend have an owner in Ron Martin who makes Tony Kleanthous look like a saint. His dodgy dealings and running away from HMRC have left the Sarfend fans rightly furious and the club with a transfer embargo to boot. His ticketing arrangements (cash on the door) are positively Del Boy in their approach and it is hard to escape the feeling that once he has got his grubby hands on the ground he will be off faster than a rat up a drain pipe. If Sarfend sing "Martin Out" chants I will definitely join in, no supporters deserve to go through that.

Still in the spirit of Christmas I am going to try and focus on the positives. Darren Currie who did a good job with Barnet, eventually, and rebuilt the relationship between the club and supporters has finally found a job working at Sarfend as assistant manager and with Simeon Akinola there too it must be like a ho-ho-home from home for him. Sarfend's away section is notoriously poor with not enough room to swing a reindeer or even a mouse in terms of leg room. As a taller person I will be making a dash for the back row so I can stand up without crumpling in to one of the seats which is bolted on the terrace. Honestly that terrace is elf and safety gone mad.

I watched them play Bromley on TV last night. They didn't look as poor as I had expected and on several occasions got through the Bromley defence quite easily. We'll need to be at our best tomorrow.

Agreed, they’re not a bad side. They’re absolutely devoid of confidence though, they look like we did at times last year - physically incapable of winning despite playing well.

At least our pedestrian midfield is unlikely to be out run if Dunne plays
The only real answer to that post will happen on Tuesday night when three points are all ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back