• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News ?⚪️?⚪️?⚪️?⚪️?⚪️ I'm Back!

Call me cynical if you like but it seems to me the only reason the Chairman's appointed Stan is to keep the fans onside while the FF project goes ahead.It'll be interesting to see how long Stan stays in his new role with SUFC.
If the result of the actions are that the Club benefits and/or improves who cares about Ron's motives. Not me. I am easily satisfied and continuing to exist and being run in a competent manner will do for me,
I have said for some time that unless the club sorted out the chaos off the field we had little chance on it.
Things appear to have improved of late, and, hopefully, these recent events will result in further consolidation.
So far it all looks good but in three months time or so we will have a much better idea of whether we are really making progress
Much more important than how long Stan stays is that our results continue to improve. We supporters were not just thrown a bone on Tuesday night but it was a big fat juicy meaty one!
If we can build on that the rest will take care of itself.
I wish Stan luck in his return.
The future now looks interesting. What a difference a month can make.

Last edited:
So, Stan‘s back. A man with such enthusiasm for a club that gave him his opportunity, and after of these years he still has that passion for us, that’s so good. He’s a breath of fresh air to a failing football club. Good on him and I’ve no doubt that he will make a tremendous difference and success will follow.

Quite agree. RM is very skilful at manipulating the gullible and this is a masterstroke. The euphoria and over inflated expectations expressed on here shows that he has quite clearly, succeeded, but when you start to dig into this appointment, what does it actually mean. The job title is nebulous and vague, we don't know if it's a part time or full time appointment (is SC going to relinquish his media commitments and relocate to Southend?). Is there going to be a new department for Strategy as his job title 'senior' implies? In the interests of that much vaunted 'transparency' perhaps we can be told. In the meantime it might be a good idea to wait and see the results of the next sequence of fixtures before jumping to conclusions after one good result against the punchbags of the leagues
I genuinely dont understand how some people think rons some arch villain from a marvel series, sitting in his castle clandestinely plotting the demise of southend united. Rubbing his hands together and maniacally laughing at signing liam ridgewell.

He is a property developer that saw a good deal, ended up quite enjoying football and success, global events and financial mishaps have seen a 5 year project become a 20 year project.

He appointed some managers that did well, and in the last 5 years ones that havent. He has tried all kinds of different recruitment strategies and types of managers.

I believe he has run out of steam, patience, time, and fan support and has probably reluctantly decided to hand the reigns over to people that have a vision for the club and hopefully bring success. Call it fan service if you will appointing kev benno currie and stan, but he didnt have to did he? And he is (somehow) paying all of their wages, probably along with the last few managers contracts over time.

The point is, as fans we have a management trio of legends and currie who a lot of us would have been happy to try as sole manager, and a southend legend bringing a lot of things to the table, things many other low level teams can only dream of!

Im a glass half empty type of guy with a cynical nature and a sarcastic way, just me. But if you cant be optomistic with the current people running the team, then i genuinely dont know what can make you happy.

Im done with the cynicism for now. Im not a ron apologist, he has made many a **** up. But right now in this moment im excited with the people running the football side, and barring ron getting banged up, im happy for him to focus on putting us into a new stadium, something that has been talked about my whole life.

I genuinely dont understand how some people think rons some arch villain from a marvel series, sitting in his castle clandestinely plotting the demise of southend united. Rubbing his hands together and maniacally laughing at signing liam ridgewell.

He is a property developer that saw a good deal, ended up quite enjoying football and success, global events and financial mishaps have seen a 5 year project become a 20 year project.

He appointed some managers that did well, and in the last 5 years ones that havent. He has tried all kinds of different recruitment strategies and types of managers.

I believe he has run out of steam, patience, time, and fan support and has probably reluctantly decided to hand the reigns over to people that have a vision for the club and hopefully bring success. Call it fan service if you will appointing kev benno currie and stan, but he didnt have to did he? And he is (somehow) paying all of their wages, probably along with the last few managers contracts over time.

The point is, as fans we have a management trio of legends and currie who a lot of us would have been happy to try as sole manager, and a southend legend bringing a lot of things to the table, things many other low level teams can only dream of!

Im a glass half empty type of guy with a cynical nature and a sarcastic way, just me. But if you cant be optomistic with the current people running the team, then i genuinely dont know what can make you happy.

Im done with the cynicism for now. Im not a ron apologist, he has made many a **** up. But right now in this moment im excited with the people running the football side, and barring ron getting banged up, im happy for him to focus on putting us into a new stadium, something that has been talked about my whole life.
This is a really good post. Sure, he probably didn't come in as a fan of Southend, and he's admitted as much. And sure, he probably came in cause he saw a business opportunity at first. But nobody would have spent so long chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (and pouring money into that chase) if they didn't have some personal feel for it after all this time, love of the club that he's grown over time, pride in seeing something through, even being someone who is the custodian of something that is important to so many people locally.

I think everyone agrees Ron has made plenty of mistakes with appointments in the last few years (I'll exempt MM from this personally as I feel he never got a shot). But it seems there's been a bit of a dawning recently in terms of getting back on the right track. And the thing that struck me from the planning meetings we've seen over the past couple of years - look at the councillors there, those are people who the public have elected -and would you really want to have any of them trying to own or run the club? It could be a lot worse.

1. The job title is clear. Strategy. If you took time to watch 2 hour plus YouTube zoom videos you'd see that because of the perilous situation the club is in, it needed TLC across several areas. Football ( recruitment, scouting), Media ( clear communication with supporters), Community ( supporting the exceptional work Community and Trust are doing), Commercial (rebuilding in many cases broken business relationships). Hence Strategy title.

2. As for being manipulated by anyone, I've managed quite well dealing in this industry for 30 years, so I guarantee you there's zero chance of being manipulated by anyone.

3. The role has been devised ( which has why it's taken so long) so that I can give Southend United complete attention with other commitments doable. Southend United will get every second they need to get the job done.

4. There doesn't need to be a new department set up. I have every administrative tool available ( bar a club email address that is forthcoming). Meetings, schedules, calendars all arranged by me and me alone. Men can multi-task.

5. You missed the positive first half against Borehamwood ( top of the league) to run alongside the Dover performance. Anyone from Sunday League to Premier League will tell you that confidence comes from performance and results. They are coming so maybe be comforted by that?

I'm happy to show you communication with dozens of clubs, all positive to the end of furnishing Kev and the boys with plenty of options, invite you to Roots Hall to see how I interact with community and trust ( I went in yesterday and told the how important they are and how proud we are of them), to join a meeting with the football staff or Ron or Tom to listen to the clarity and transparency you ask for and to come with me next week across this country to meet representatives from clubs who can potentially help us move quickly towards our goal which is going north out of this league.

Scepticism, bring it on, I'm working on the best dates for supporters groups to meet at the Blue Boar or anywhere else which is easy to access for a monthly face to face. Bring your scepticism to a meeting, have a fist full of questions and ask them, so that your need for transparency can be satisfied.

You've got a Southend United supporting CEO.
You've got a Southend United legend as Head Coach, supported by not one, but 2 very capable men.
You've got a former player now making sure that across club cohesion is at the core of a long term plan which, when working properly will make everyone from you to Ron very happy.

So get involved in any way you can to support your football club moving forward because we need you.

Every month, in Southend at a supporters choice of venue I'll be there to answer questions openly, transparently and for as long as you like.

Stan
Well said @StanleyVictorCollymore ??

**** what was that? You’ll forgive me if I’m out of touch. Is Ena Sharples still in Corrie?
Ha. She said that the Spice Girls enlivened their boring hotel stays on tour by walking down the corridor and standing outside the lift. Naked.

Back