• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane 07/12/1968. Southend United 10, Brentwood Town 1

No, it was 4-1. Tony Bentley scored. I think it was a Wednesday evening and I recall some of the regular away supporters being involved in a car accident en route.

We played again on the Friday at home to Wrexham and won 1-0 (Clayton) in front of nearly 12,000.

No,not a Wednesday evening—we were strolling past the half-way line and Bentley scored his remarkable goal right in front of us.Definitely daylight.
Bentley was only trying to smash the ball at the opponent who’d fouled him crudely.

No,not a Wednesday evening—we were strolling past the half-way line and Bentley scored his remarkable goal right in front of us.Definitely daylight.
Bentley was only trying to smash the ball at the opponent who’d fouled him crudely.
No, I was talking about the Wolves game (admittedly not obvious) which definitely was Wednesday.

You could be right re Newport, confirms my point about the loss of the database, but thinking more of the Wolves match, was that the one where the home fans were singing 'Southend United' for quite a while after the final whistle? Or am I getting it mixed up with the Everton cup tie, another brave loss, that bloody save!
The chanting of Southend after the game was at the replay at Liverpool after we lost 3-0 although it may well have happened at Wolverhampton also.

No, it was 4-1. Tony Bentley scored. I think Wolves was a Wednesday evening and I recall some of the regular away supporters being involved in a car accident en route.

We played again on the Friday at home to Wrexham and won 1-0 (Clayton) in front of nearly 12,000.
One particular match that I would like to mention is the league cup match against Wolves at Molineux in September '68. Back in those days all clubs played their first team no resting of players back then so we faced the likes of Derek Dougan & Peter Knowles to name just a couple. We were beaten 1-0 by a last minute goal from John Farrington. I had travelled to the match on the supporters coach where as Terry Cornwell had gone by car with another old school friend Trevor Wills-Dog from Foulness, also travelling along were Ian Leask & Charlie Benson both regular fans at away matches at that time. On the way they were involved in a serious car accident which ended with the car upside down and in the words of Charlie Benson petrol was just p...... in as they were trying to get out of the car as quickly as possible which was just as well as the three in the back were all smoking. They were all taken to the local hospital to be checked over and were going to be kept in for observation but Terry, Charlie & Ian were having none of it, discharged themselves and still managed to get to the game on time. A great story I am NOT so sure but back then getting to matches was always the No.1 priority for us all.
The above story regarding the car crash on route to Wolves in Sept. '68 was posted by me last year on the passing of my very good friend Terry"Muncher"Cornwell. RIP T.C. "Gone but certainly NEVER Forgotten"😥😍😪

Only just seen this and I was there and the Kings Lynn game as well. Probably just starting the 6th form at Southend High School before going to university in Yorkshire and staying there. These matches were like a football orgasm!

Forgot to write,yesterday..4th Jan..we played two never to be forgotten games
4.1.69...Swindon Town away (FA cup)...sadly my mum would not give me enough pocket money to go,but she took me and my 7 year old sister to watch ..THE JUNGLE BOOK.
Was bloody gutted.Not sure if im correct,but was the game shown LIVE in the Shrimper club??
4.1.1975...at home to QPR (FA cup)...what a game that was...and the North Bank(PAK) was FANtastic...
Also i think im correct 4.1.67...remember coming home from school and seeing on the news about Donald Cambell and his speedboat BLUEBIRD crashing and killing him.

Back