• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wettest home game has to be early 60s FA Cup 2-1 win over Brighton-Ken Jones 2.We bravely changed to the open end at HT despite the deluge and somehow survived before giving in with 10 mins to go.

coldest for me was when we played shrewsbury at home and i was a ball boy, was a mid winter friday night game and it snowed for most of the second half, and the ball didnt go near me for the whole game until injury time in 2nd half and i was so excited i nearly took Priors head off throwing the ball to him.

Defo mk dons was in dominican republic up to the day before.the walk from the car was like a siberian trek.

Too many freezing cold nights at Roots Hall over the years, tho' wettest was Gillingjham away, League Cup in '85,
hammered down on the away / open terracing all second half and we lost 2-0 just to rub it in. I so hate that place!

I'm sure I have been but I don't ever really remember being overly wet at a football match. Coldest by far for me was Spurs in the League Cup Quarter Final.

Wettest.....has to gillinham away about 20 odd years ago...crowny with a late leveller.
I dont feel the cold so cant help im afraid

Me too,ruined my leather jacket,Crownys goal was worth it though,the coldest has to be col ewe away bleedin freezing.

Coldest; That previously mentioned MK Dons game, Although closely run by Nottingham Forest where the frost never left the ground in the shadow of the stand. Surprisingly this was the wettest for me too because Forest fans sitting above us kept drenching us with **** thrown in tea cups !

Coldest Hartlepool away around Xmas time 2005.Wettest has to be Yeovil away on open terrace in 2003

Coldest - like many on here, definitely the MK Dons game at the old hockey stadium. Wasn't it a temporary stand for away fans, no shelter, and the icy wind cut through you all game. Bad decision to sit too near the front. Took me the entire journey home to thaw out.

Wettest - for me it was a home game in the 60's, me a nipper watching us lose to Scunthorpe 2-3 in what seemed like monsoon conditions. I couldn't believe they'd let anyone play in that, but what did I know?!

Coldest was MK Dons away at there new stadium. Literally icicles hanging from my snotty nose.

Wettest. I'm really surprised no one has mentioned west ham at home in a friendly. Rediculous weather and should never have been played.

Coldest - Bury in the Cup a couple of years ago. My feet have only just thawed out.

Like many others, I can't remember getting soaked too often. Generally because I'm a bit of a tart and prefer to sit rather than stand...:winking:

Wettest... Newcastle United away, first game of the 1992/3 season. It absolutely lashed it down. It didn't help that it was not forecast and most of us were in t shirts given the balmy August temperature. I've never seen so much rain at a football game.

We lost 3-2 I think with David Martin as captain and Keegan as their manager.

It is important to note that there was no roof over the away fans and so we were rained on all game - I swear that it started to rain just before the game and it stopped raining when we crossed the Tyne coming home. I remember seeing someone with a blue Southend United cap that ran blue dye all over his head and neck. :sad:

Bolton at home Boxing day. Turned up late and had to go in the South/West corner, when it was open to the elements.

Never been colder or more miserable at a game.

Coldest: Scarborough in the cup replay, must be 10 years ago now. It seemed to get a lot colder when they scored late on as well.

Yes - and I think we had Chelsea lined up in the next round as well. And if my memory is correct (which it often isn't) the goal scorer was later sent to prison for something like armed robbery! :'(

Another cold, cold game at home was on a frozen pitch against Birmingham - I think the players wore trainers and we won 1-0. Game wouldn't be allowed now as I suspect someone would point out that the ground was hard (well it was frozen) and therefore a "health and safety" risk.

But my coldest game was away at either Sunderland (Roker Park) or Middlesborough (Ayrsome Park) when the wind was coming in off the North Sea stabbing into your clothing like a knife made of ice. I can't even remember the score.

Bolton at home Boxing day. Turned up late and had to go in the South/West corner, when it was open to the elements.

Never been colder or more miserable at a game.

Was that the game we drew 1-1? Both teams were doing well at the top of the division (3 or 4 - I'm not sure). We were winning 1-0 when a back pass (from Spencer?) got stuck in the mud and their striker latched onto it to score. It was both very cold and very wet on that miserable day.

Freezing game at Hartlepool in the 90s, we lost about 5-1 and it was sheeting with rain and freezing straight of the North Sea.

1) Coldest

Has to be MK dons away at the national hockey stadium. Was a naff day in general but topped off with the fact it was literally Siberian temperatures. We lost, there was no where to drink and I think this was as cold as the UK has ever been

2) Wettest

Bristol Rovers away this season just gone. It literally rained the whole second half and there was almost no cover. My jeans were so wet I had to hand drier them off my legs once I got back to the hotel. My notes were soaked in my wallet and my socks and shoes I had to peel off me. Only positive from the night is I learnt that my K-Way jacket can survive a monsoon.

Would certainly agree with the Bristol game - my jeans were still wet in the morning !!!

For the wettest I would go for the open terrace at the Mansfield ground in the late 1980s, we won 2-0 so it wasn't all bad. The ground there now is nothing like it used to be,......thankfully.

Back