• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The new mk dons stadium coldest for me when we played there between christmas and new year - 8/9 season I think. My hands were shaking holding the hot drink I was drinking to try to warm up. The wind whipping through the stand at Mansfield last season was unpleasant but not quite as cold.
The wettest game for me was Plymouth away in the Sturrock era, though strictly speaking it was after the game I got soaked walking back to my b&b - which added to my joyful mood as we gave away a two goal lead in the last couple of minutes.

coldest..maybe 69, v Aldershot,..just over 2,000 fans at Roots Hall, those days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wettest..(England) 2 years ago in Poland,the c&&ts did not close the roof,paid for a black market ticket ,return train ticket,over night in a "hostel", 14 to a room,had to leave to go back about 10 hours before the game was played, the day after.. all for nowt..And Hodgson blamed it on( Englands poor performance),that they stayed another day in a luxury hotel!!

We lost 3-2 I think with David Martin as captain and Keegan as their manager.

It is important to note that there was no roof over the away fans and so we were rained on all game - I swear that it started to rain just before the game and it stopped raining when we crossed the Tyne coming home. I remember seeing someone with a blue Southend United cap that ran blue dye all over his head and neck. :sad:

I was there that rainy day. No roof. No cover. Just torrential rain. That's the north for you !

Those of a certain age have been to many grounds that were simply awful. Too many to name but adventures all the same.

My memory is poor but was it Halifax that had the Away End that was just an Earth mound ? I seem to remember a particular mid week game open to the elements there.

Wettest... Newcastle United away, first game of the 1992/3 season. It absolutely lashed it down. It didn't help that it was not forecast and most of us were in t shirts given the balmy August temperature. I've never seen so much rain at a football game.

Coldest... the coldest I've ever been at a FL game was actually Accrington v Bury Xmas 2009... wasn't helped that I didn't have a coat and it was snowing. For Southend, I'd say MK Dons, but at their new stadium when we played them over new year a few seasons back.
You are not wrong about Newcastle; sodden through and through: & to make the agony longer we got kept in by plod as the geordie boys wanted to do unspeakable nastiness to us after the game!

2 coldest were both at MK Dons, old and new stadium. One of the wettest was at Gillingham in 1972. But we stayed dry, as we filled their covered 'end'!.

Was that the game we drew 1-1? Both teams were doing well at the top of the division (3 or 4 - I'm not sure). We were winning 1-0 when a back pass (from Spencer?) got stuck in the mud and their striker latched onto it to score. It was both very cold and very wet on that miserable day.

Yep that was the very game.

Boy did I curse Prior for that one!

Wettest... Newcastle United away, first game of the 1992/3 season. It absolutely lashed it down. It didn't help that it was not forecast and most of us were in t shirts given the balmy August temperature. I've never seen so much rain at a football game.

Coldest... the coldest I've ever been at a FL game was actually Accrington v Bury Xmas 2009... wasn't helped that I didn't have a coat and it was snowing. For Southend, I'd say MK Dons, but at their new stadium when we played them over new year a few seasons back.

Certainly agree with that.And I'd moved into the open,away end after first being in the Newcasle enclosure (under cover,on the half-way line) just before the game had started.

You are not wrong about Newcastle; sodden through and through: & to make the agony longer we got kept in by plod as the geordie boys wanted to do unspeakable nastiness to us after the game!

Yup.And I simply had to get the last 17.15 train back to Nottingham (where I was staying at my brother's).

Remember a WPC told me to FO before I showed my BR ticket to a more friendly plod at the back of the stand,who let me out early, "at your own risk."

Yup.And I simply had to get the last 17.15 train back to Nottingham (where I was staying at my brother's).

Remember a WPC told me to FO before I showed my BR ticket to a more friendly plod at the back of the stand,who let me out early, "at your own risk."

We got chased down the hill by the geordie nut heads and received a few slaps at the train station .

i think my coldest was not that long ago. I think it was Crewe at home and Billy Jones, left back rather than right, scored the only goal from a free kick. it took hours for me to feel my feet again, hours. Hate losing 1-0 at home.

Daggers away last season was pretty wet, but we were in the nice new covered stand, thanks lads!

Coldest : FAC3 Jan 79 Home v Liverpool was bad. So was Huddersfield Away Dec 2005 and of course MK Dons was bad twice.
Wettest : More a question for the Ladies I think :winking:

at the risk of sounding young my mum was there, but i think too traumatised by it to mention the snow i see on the 'highlights'. she said she feared for her life coz they packed so many in. probably for the body heat

Coldest was a Tranmere away game on a Friday night some years ago. It was so cold my mate had no gloves and I let him have one of mine so that we could at least keep one hand warm. I think we got a late equaliser and drew. The next day we went to watch Stockport play somebody as it was a ground we hadn't visited before and it was glorious sunshine!
Wettest was Walsall away at their old ground in mid week for a Naff Daff trophy or whatever it was called then and the guttering gave away above the away supporters and we were soaked to the skin and I drove all the way home absolutely drenched. I think we got well stuffed about 3-0 or some thing like that. I had to visit the doctor the next day to have my sanity checked out as to why I was there in the first place!

Coldest: Definitely the FA Cup replay at Roots Hall against Bury a few years back. I've never wished a match to finish in 90 minutes so badly - however the match went to extra time and penalties (of which Dan Bentley saved 3 of Bury's and sent us through).

That was the one I thought of too. Jeez, it was utterly freezing that night. I want to the game wearing a pair of pyjama trousers under my jeans as I remember, a jumper, fleece, one of those padded Southend coats and I was still shaking from the cold.

Coldest? Home to Rotherham United Feb 10th 2012. Lost 0-2. Just got home from living overseas. Bleak night, appalling performance and I couldn't believe the cold. I kept thinking "is this what i have been craving for"?

Wettest? Both already been mentioned. Away to Newcastle United and away to Palace.

Back