• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jim Levenstein

Manager
Right chaps and chapettes

There is one week to go till the new season and I for one cannot wait to get going and I'm pretty sure the forum cannot wait either some of the summer content being spouted about is questionable to say the least. I was reading about cricket on a football thread like WTF is that about.

So, how does everyone think we will do this coming year hand on heart? I think we will have a OKish season don't think we will go down but think we may flirt with the bottom four but this is our own fault. I actually think we have the potential to be a top 7 side but contracts/signing situations this summer will hold us back whilst I personally am not a Ron Martin hater (think he has managed the club ok never gone into administration and the winding up orders are always paid seems to know how to keep the club afloat with limited funds) this summer he has let us down.. Noel Hunt still not signed and we are 8 days from a new season after promotion with 1 senior striker, sorry but that is not good enough when the manager publicly says 'the squad is showing signs of strain' before a season even starts, alarm bells ring. I know people say agents this agents that but how comes out all the teams in the football league aren't having the same trouble?? hmmm blame the agents!

How do you all think we will do? Please discuss all issues.. Will Deegan ever sign a new contract? and could we please get an update on Adam Thompson that seems to be completely forgotten about unless I missed something but I doubt it I am dialled in, don't miss a trick!

Christ, I cannot begin to describe how disappointed I am about how much more attention the most laughable/unrealistic transfer rumour is getting over this which I put so much effort into:nope:

Can't wait for the new season to start :smile:, I don't know about anyone else but the summer has dragged on forever for me.

I think we will finish 12th, which I'd be happy with.

I Like to think we shall be pushing for promotion come next May, survival is one thing but as a supporter id like to think we go out to win every game, battle for every point and entertain us paying lifelong supporters along the way....UTB

I Like to think we shall be pushing for promotion come next May, survival is one thing but as a supporter id like to think we go out to win every game, battle for every point and entertain us paying lifelong supporters along the way....UTB

Would love that to be the case but realistically there are teams in this league with big budgets who are recruiting well.

There are also teams in this league with smaller budgets who long ago recruited 8 good players!

Been overly excited since the hotel in blackpools been booked about a week ago! Can't wait to get the fix again it's been too long. Reckon it will be worth the wait with a good win away first off. I'd love to say we can make the play offs again.. And the More I look at our squad the more possible it looks. But my head says a steady mid table push will do. Anything but a relegation struggle... Then again, were Sufc and we don't do boring mid table seasons!

I would be happy with anything other than relegation. Staying in L1 has to be our number 1 priority. I think we can realistically expect to end up firmly in mid-table with a lot of mixed results as teams give us a bit more room to play but have plenty of quality themselves. This division was being torn apart by players like Garner and Ali last year so there's plenty of quality at this level.

Would like to see Pigott, McLaughlin & Hunt in with Thompson and Deegan re-signing. Hopefully we can keep Bentley too. The core of this squad has earned the right to play in L1 after consistent performances in L2 and a major overhaul isn't really needed.

I would be happy with anything other than relegation. Staying in L1 has to be our number 1 priority. I think we can realistically expect to end up firmly in mid-table with a lot of mixed results as teams give us a bit more room to play but have plenty of quality themselves. This division was being torn apart by players like Garner and Ali last year so there's plenty of quality at this level.

Would like to see Pigott, McLaughlin & Hunt in with Thompson and Deegan re-signing. Hopefully we can keep Bentley too. The core of this squad has earned the right to play in L1 after consistent performances in L2 and a major overhaul isn't really needed.

Yeah I agree with you. Big season for Leonard this year

If and its a big if we can make at least three if not four quality signings we might have a chance of pushing the play offs. Hunt would be a start, Mclaughlin would also add that quality down the left hand side. Think the Piggott deal wont happen so we still need another decent striker to the squad (on top of Mooney and Hunt deals).

Without adding this quality hard to see us pushing above mid table. Would take survival at this stage, a season of consolidation would be fine for me. Anyone thinking another promotion is possible doesnt fully understand how difficult this division is.

50 points please, anything else is a bonus.

A cup run would be nice and two wins over Col Ewe.

I'd be happy with mid-table, a nice cup run! Can't see us flirting with the play-off the squad is far to small!
Need a couple more strikers and wing back cover and I'll be a happy man!

Survive relegation, two wins over col u and a cheeky cup run will make me happy.

I think we will flirt with the playoff's, with kept the squad together and added quality to it.however we still need to add more to last the length of the season to achieve promotion, I have confidence we will have a good season.

Here's what I'd love to see be our main line up this year (if we keep Bentley, plus I'd begin the year with Barrett, just feel Thompson might be better in the long run - if he signs his deal):

Bentley

White Bolger Thompson Coker

Atkinson Leonard Wordsworth Worrall

Hunt Mooney

The only weakness I can see there might be at center back with two young right footed players there, and at right midfield, I like Will and think he could do well this year playing the Pettefer role and letting the others do the majority of the creative work but if I was being picky I'd say there's room for improvement there, which we might do with bringing McLaughlin in and shifting Worrall over to the right.

But as first 11's go that's pretty tasty.

Get 50 points first and see what happen after that, beat Col Ewes twice with Wordworth smashing a winner in from a free kick, a cup run, Sheffield Utd style then I be happy with that one.

Pacy forward is a must, we are strong in midfield and on width, so a cover for back four will do nicely.

Back