• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jam_Man

Life President
So at the beginning of the season most say let's wait till 10 games to see where we are, and here we are.

Lots of doom forseen early on in the season which isn't surprising since we didn't win a game in August so how do people think we are doing against their expectations?

Obviously after 3 back to back wins a bit more optimism will be around now I hope.

Personally think we are coping well enough in the division and the squad seems good enough with enough depth to deal with injuries, which we have had our share of.

Other than the Posh game matches are generally pretty tight affairs but we seem to be getting results . The only game I thought we are outplayed was Walsall so far. Shrewsbury was probably a poorer performance but Shrewsbury nullified us rather than outplayed us I thought.

We still seem to lack creativity but even games like Millwall where we created little we come away with a 2-0 win and are pretty in control even though away from home.

It was always a bit if an unknown but hopefully with a good September we will have some self confidence now that we can compete at this level.

I hoped we would manage top half and so far so good although lots more to be played obviously.

15 points in the bag,averaging 1.5 points every game,that is a bloody decent return.

We need 37 points from 36 games to guarantee staying up,that is my first and currently only target.

Big well done to Phil and the lads.

I said pre season we'll finish around mid table and that's where we are now.

If we really push on there is an outside chance of play offs, it will be really difficult, but not impossible.

Good analysis JM. We've been an awkward arse side to play against for few seasons now and that quality is still with us. Scoring enough goals has been our weakness, but maybe that could change this season. I reckon that upper mid table is where we are at so far, but a few more good results and who knows?

It's points on the board early doors that's great for us, just what we needed to stay up, keep picking up wins now and then and we are set for a good mid table finish, all I wanted for us is to stay up this season which is great, will be a massive boost to all if we can get around the playoffs come May

If we finish where we are now, i'll be more than happy.

Seems PB has found a winning starting 11. Maybe Prosser and Deegan have been the missing cogs all along

I was surprised that we didn't get off to a better start in August but we seem now to have got a balance and able to cope at this level. The squad has to be one of the strongest for years and we are able to make changes to cover injury and suspensions and still look strong.
White Hunt and Barret missing and we seem to cope easily. Things may change in January with transfers but this squad is strong enough to sustain a challenge for promotion. :happy:

Good analysis JM. We've been an awkward arse side to play against for few seasons now and that quality is still with us. Scoring enough goals has been our weakness, but maybe that could change this season. I reckon that upper mid table is where we are at so far, but a few more good results and who knows?

Its odd because we are creating less chances yet getting the goals. IT helps we have had to play the lesser teams in the division over the past month, but if survival and consolidation its the target then thats all we need to do. Thing is the team we are putting out at the moment I wouldn't even say is our best side so room to improve.

If we finish where we are now, i'll be more than happy.

Seems PB has found a winning starting 11. Maybe Prosser and Deegan have been the missing cogs all along

I dont think Prosser has improved us, but neither has he weakened us in any way, come in and done a solid job and cant see him being dropped for Barrett when he is fit either, although a bad result will give Brown the chance to switch Im sure.

Deegan has added that bite to the midfield, dont think he is as good a player as Wordsworth but he is better at what he does. And after a poor run of results sometimes you just need someone like him to come in and help impose ourselves on a game physically. We had that thread the other week about why he is here, and thats why. He will be used at times and other times I hope we will opt for Wordsworth when we need to create chances.

I think our season will continue with us being hard to beat 'away' but easy-ish to contain at 'home' by the better sides.
Scunthorpe was an exception I think , but generally if we lose the first goal at home , I think we may struggle in terms of the creativity needed to break sides down on a regular basis.
Still we've done well so far and don't see any real 'stand out' sides that we need to be scared of.
Saturday will be a good test , but we could have beaten them last yeAr so let's see

I think we have made a good start to life in league one and look very good away from home especially. Think we will more than hold our own

Agree with most of whats been said above. Would take mid table at this stage, anything better than that is defo a bonus. Based on what ive seen so far we defo shouldnt struggle down the bottom.

Of the first ten games, our away record is excellent, draws at Fleetwood, Donny and Cov are very acceptable added with the wins at Millwall and Crewe. We seem better set up to play away. At home slightly more frustrating. Swindon was a game that we dominated and should have one. Walsall deservedly beat us, easily the best team ive seen this season. Shrewsbury again disappointing as its a game we should have been looking to win, didnt think they were great but we were very poor. The wins against Peterboro and Scunny deserved. All in all probably give the team a 6 or 7 out of 10

Good discussion this - agree with all points above, also must mention the goals seem to be coming from all over the pitch which is a big plus especially if our front men are having an off game. I still think we should be a bigger threat from set plays but hey if we contiune to pick up points what does it matter. Overall very happy and look forward to a trip to burton on saturday

Its odd because we are creating less chances yet getting the goals. IT helps we have had to play the lesser teams in the division over the past month, but if survival and consolidation its the target then thats all we need to do. Thing is the team we are putting out at the moment I wouldn't even say is our best side so room to improve.

I dont think Prosser has improved us, but neither has he weakened us in any way, come in and done a solid job and cant see him being dropped for Barrett when he is fit either, although a bad result will give Brown the chance to switch Im sure.

Deegan has added that bite to the midfield, dont think he is as good a player as Wordsworth but he is better at what he does. And after a poor run of results sometimes you just need someone like him to come in and help impose ourselves on a game physically. We had that thread the other week about why he is here, and thats why. He will be used at times and other times I hope we will opt for Wordsworth when we need to create chances.
I think that is the whole point here, when one of our players gets injured we have a more than capable replacement to come straight in that will not necessarily weaken our team. I think that sets us in good stead and most teams in this league won't have that luxury.

The exceptions to the above I'd say are goalkeeper and left back.

Why is everyone so negative on our chances this season. There is not a huge jump between League Two and League One, just look at how Burton and Bury are doing. Shrewsbury are doing OK considering they lost a lot of players as well.

Top half should be the aim at the very least, especially with the players we have added to the squad. If we flirt with the play-offs then great, if we finish 13th or 14th then OK, but If we just manage to stay up I would consider that a failure this season.

Mid table I think then look at adding some more quality in the summer (and replacing Bentley) and look at a promotion push next season.

If by January we are in the top half of Lge 1 then i'd say that we become a lot more of an attractive option for players looking to come to us on loan , people may say why change a formula that is getting results but there is always room for improvement at any level and still think we need a RB and pacey CF .

If by January we are in the top half of Lge 1 then i'd say that we become a lot more of an attractive option for players looking to come to us on loan , people may say why change a formula that is getting results but there is always room for improvement at any level and still think we need a RB and pacey CF .

Agree with a pacey CF, nothing against the 3 (4 incl Williams) that we have, but a strong pacey CF would be handy. As for RB, im a huge fan of O'Neill, think he will be our RB for many years to come, and we still have White as backup, even Lenny if required.

Back