• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
1. Colin Murphy (1992-93) - crap manager, boring defensive long ball tactics never worked.
2. Barry Fry (1993) - as he wasn't Southend he betrayed us at the first opportunity, unsettling all the remaining players for the rest of that season and the following season.
3. Peter Taylor (1993-95) - crap manager, did he make a single decent signing? Certainly made plenty of duff ones. Teams were dull and lost a lot.
4. Ronnie Whelan (1995-97)- crap ****head manager, signed too many ****heads on big wages.
5. Alvin Martin - (1997-99) crap manager, kept signing players who combined crapness with not caring and nearly got us relegated into the conference.
6. Alan Little (1999-2000) - crap manager, playing the most dour football possible and not getting results either.
7. David Webb (2000-01) - absolute legend, but heart wasn't really in it, did an OK caretaker job but not a long term option.
8. Rob Newman (2001-03) - good player, nice bloke but sadly crap manager, who never got us competing.
9. Steve Wignall (2003) - good pedigree with the inbreds but crap manager who lacked the passion in his eyes and might have taken us into the conference.
10. Steve Tilson (2003-whenever) - Southend's player of the millenium.

By 2003 I was fed up with the revolving door at the Southend manager's office. 10 managers in 10 years had got us where? Down two divisions and staring at the possibility, with Drewe Broughton up front make that the probability, of conference football. We'd tried everything, from those highly regarded in the game (that joker Muphy), to those who had got teams promoted from that division before (Little, Wignall, Webby), to great players (Whelan), to ex-players (Peter Taylor), to players with no Southend connection whatsoever (Alvin Martin).

One thing became clear to me. Sacking managers just doesn't work. If we were going to do anything but bump around the bottom of the 4th division we needed to pick a manager and stick with them, through thick and thin. And out of those ten, I know which manager I'd like to stick with through thick and thin. Tilly cares about the club and is about as loyal as you'll get in this day and age. He's unlikely to be poached. If we were going to stick with anyone it might as well be him.

So I said back in 2003 that I'd be prepared to stick with him, as for the last decade we'd been a nothing club so we might as well be a nothing club with a club legend in charge, playing decent football for so long as our league status remains secure. As long as he fulfills those criteria he's got my backing. Let him learn from the mistakes his made. The fact that he's already saved the club from relegation to the conference, taken us to two national finals, won the play-offs, won only our second ever title and our only our second ever promotion to the second tier of English football and achieved our greatest cup result is merely the icing on the cake.

So I'm sticking to Tilly, even when we (because we will eventually) experience some hard times. If last season, containing one of the greatest moments of supporting Southend, is considered "thin" times, then Tilly certainly has the manager's job for life as far as I'm concerned.

1. Colin Murphy (1992-93) - crap manager, boring defensive long ball tactics never worked.
2. Barry Fry (1993) - as he wasn't Southend he betrayed us at the first opportunity, unsettling all the remaining players for the rest of that season and the following season.
3. Peter Taylor (1993-95) - crap manager, did he make a single decent signing? Certainly made plenty of duff ones. Teams were dull and lost a lot.
4. Ronnie Whelan (1995-97)- crap ****head manager, signed too many ****heads on big wages.
5. Alvin Martin - (1997-99) crap manager, kept signing players who combined crapness with not caring and nearly got us relegated into the conference.
6. Alan Little (1999-2000) - crap manager, playing the most dour football possible and not getting results either.
7. David Webb (2000-01) - absolute legend, but heart wasn't really in it, did an OK caretaker job but not a long term option.
8. Rob Newman (2001-03) - good player, nice bloke but sadly crap manager, who never got us competing.
9. Steve Wignall (2003) - good pedigree with the inbreds but crap manager who lacked the passion in his eyes and might have taken us into the conference.

By 2003 I was fed up with the revolving door at the Southend manager's office. 10 managers in 10 years had got us where? Down two divisions and staring at the possibility, with Drewe Broughton up front make that the probability, of conference football. We'd tried everything, from those highly regarded in the game (that joker Muphy), to those who had got teams promoted from that division before (Little, Wignall, Webby), to great players (Whelan), to ex-players (Peter Taylor), to players with no Southend connection whatsoever (Alvin Martin).

One thing became clear to me. Sacking managers just doesn't work. If we were going to do anything but bump around the bottom of the 4th division we needed to pick a manager and stick with them, through thick and thin. And out of those ten, I know which manager I'd like to stick with through thick and thin. Tilly cares about the club and is about as loyal as you'll get in this day and age. He's unlikely to be poached. If we were going to stick with anyone it might as well be him.

So I said back in 2003 that I'd be prepared to stick with him, as for the last decade we'd been a nothing club so we might as well be a nothing club with a club legend in charge, playing decent football for so long as our league status remains secure. As long as he fulfills those criteria he's got my backing. Let him learn from the mistakes his made. The fact that he's already saved the club from relegation to the conference, taken us to two national finals, won the play-offs, won only our second ever title and our only our second ever promotion to the second tier of English football and achieved our greatest cup result is merely the icing on the cake.

So I'm sticking to Tilly, even when we (because we will eventually) experience some hard times. If last season, containing one of the greatest moments of supporting Southend, is considered "thin" times, then Tilly certainly has the manager's job for life as far as I'm concerned.

Very well Said YB! Problem is though people want the club to move forwards, not side ways or downwards. And if Tilly isn't getting the results like any manager he will be under fire no matter how much a legend. Look at Nigel Worthington he is a legend at Norwich he had a bad season GONE! The fans and the board speak!

I honestly jokingly aside hope that Tilson doesn't go I think if he goes it will be another load of **** managers. I mean seriously if someone can name 5 names of managers who could take over and do a better job (managers that would take the job). Then I will hold my hands up and say I am wrong.

Having felt depressed for most of the day, I'm now going to bed in a good mood. What a top post.

Very well Said YB! Problem is though people want the club to move forwards, not side ways or downwards. And if Tilly isn't getting the results like any manager he will be under fire no matter how much a legend. Look at Nigel Worthington he is a legend at Norwich he had a bad season GONE! The fans and the board speak!

I honestly jokingly aside hope that Tilson doesn't go I think if he goes it will be another load of **** managers. I mean seriously if someone can name 5 names of managers who could take over and do a better job (managers that would take the job). Then I will hold my hands up and say I am wrong.

Nigel Worthington is hardly a legend at Norwich, he never played for them and took them up once and down once. More to the point what have Norwich achieved since sacking him?

I doubt you'll get a decent response to this. I'm fairly sure Finkelstein did some research on knee-jerk dismissals and proved (with limited evidence) that retention is better than replacement, on average.

Regardless of that, we're only two league games in. Two league games in. Two league games in. Worth saying thrice. Fair enough if you tell me I told you so when we're bottom in November but I reserve the right (that I haven't but could have exercised in the past!) to also mention in November how we're easily safe.

Well said YB.

You have to look over initial knee-jerk reactions sometimes (mine was that of dismay yesterday after the game). Nothing is decided after two games after all and neither of our league performances has been terrible. People screaming Tilly out need to have a long hard look at the themselves.

Great stuff YB, and for all our older readers I will add to the pot the names of the following luminaries who managed Southend who will still gives us nightmares.

Dick Bate, Peter Morris, Bobby Moore & Alvan Williams.

I shudder just typing those names. In my time supporting Southend good manages have been few & far between, Arthur Rowley, Dave Smith & David Webb. Steve Tilson has led this club to success from nothing, with no managerial experience, he took us to two cup finals, and two promotions.

The breathtaking hypocrisy of football "supporters" always makes me laugh. They demand total loyalty from players & managers alike, yet when a player or manager moves to pastures new, or a perceived better opportunity, they are accused of treachery, disloyalty etc etc (I'll make an exception with Barry Fry:D ). Yet we now see the same "supporters" calling for the head of our most successful manager in our history, surely loyalty is a two way street, and we owe loyalty to Tilly?

Let me remind you of a match Manchester United were playing in the FA Cup against Nottingham Forest in 1990. Ferguson was under immense pressure to deliver a trophy to Old Trafford, and it was suggested if they lost to Forest that day he would get the sack. Mark Robins scored a scrappy goal, ManUre went on to win the cup, the rest as they say is history.

Look at the positives at Roots Hall since Tilly has been in charge, we have a good youth set up for once, and players like Ademeno & Moussa have graduated to the first team squad, and Moussa seems a heck of a prospect. There are a lot of kids under Ricky Duncan who are thought of as good prospects. Crowds and interest in our club are up, we've been in the Championship, sadly we weren't good enough.

I feel that we are suffering from a relegation hangover, and I hope and am confident the slide will be arrested soon. And although I don't expect us to challenge for promotion, and people may not like this I think the club should consolidate it's position in League 1 before making the next step forward.

To the whingers & waverers, I say get behind the team and management, and keep the faith.

Thank Heavens for people like you on this board. I am sitting here at work on a sunday morning getting more and more despondent as I trawled through all the threads started after yesterdays match. Judging from the time of your post It would seem to me that you were actually at the game yesterday. One thing that has struck me about the hysterical rantings from posters, a vast majority posted from 5:00 pm through to 8:00pm yesterday, a vast mojority of these posters seemed to be reacting purely on the 4-1 scoreline (somewhat obviously supporters travelling back would find it difficult to post) but the posts I have read from supporters who did go to the game has suggested that the 4-1 scoreline was flattering in the extreme.

I wanted to read the comments from Shrimpers who were at Leeds yesterday before posting. I was at the Orient game but have missed the Cup game and yesterday at Elland road so I will refrain from any comments on the performance of the players at either of these two games.

I would like to ask however, one very simple question.

If, like some people on this board want, Tilly gets the heave-ho after Two games (laughs and shakes head) who would you have replace him...........................................

hmmmm,

Have we not learnt anything from the last 15 years? Manager after Manager has come and gone, most complete and utter bollox with little or no tactical nous and awareness. All making terrible signings that drove this club into the doldrums for seven long years. There are of course notable exeptions (Fry, Thomson) but they were to short lived and left for 'Bigger and brighter things'.

It makes me want to scream at my monitor when I read comments like:
TILLY MUST GO
WE MUST SIGN A PROVEN GOALSCORER
WHERE HAS THE MONEY FROM THE FREDDY TRANSFER GONE?

In the name of sanity, these people (whilst intitled to an opion) need to be shaken and slapped out of their hysteria.
I've said this before and I will say it again: Steve Tilson is the best we are ever likely to get, and oh..........hang on a minute...........isn't he THE most successful Southend manager of all time (no need for a question mark here. It is a fact.)
We went down last year. Okay, if someone had said to me in November 06 that we would be in with a shout of survival come April 07 I would have snapped their arm off at the shoulder. We had an awful last month, agreed, and it seems to have carried on into the new campaign, granted. We are Two games in. The team will gel and adjust to the new surroundings in time, and we will finish the season in a comfortable position in the league. The club needs a period of stability (preferbly in a league above league two,) as a club in the last 22 years we have been up and down more times than the trains on that other icon of our town that we all love.

Watching some of Tilly and Brush's in game desicions over the past few seasons has, at times, been frustrating. But I have also sat back and enjoyed some of the best, free-flowing, passing football I have ever seen served up at the Hall. Now that may not be true at this very moment in time but that can be blamed on the new league environment.
Tilly has not yet had a full two seasons managing at one level of the game, he is also young and learning his trade. By god, if we have achieved two promotions, two cup finals and won our highest ever accolade under a manager who is still learning his trade, we have a wonderful future ahead.

Please, lets all bear in mind that a few seasons at this level will do us no harm whatsoever. We can continue to build on our evergrowing fan base (perhaps with a few more Football league trophy runs) and competing towards the playoffs for a few seasons. Meanwhile the new Stadium will (god willing) begin to progress and THEN and only then should we be concerned if we are not competing for a spot in the championship.

I don't think I agree with "Tilly certainly has the manager's job for life " but I do agree he deserves the certanty of seeing out his current contract. As I said on this board when we were relegated, Tilly has the making of a great manager give him time.
I get angry with the results and some of the performances by the players but I've seen worse.
I'm sticking with Tilly and hoping he picks a winning team soon.

Although Tilly has with the except of Fred has not brought the best strikers to thge club, I still beleive it would be a mistake to loose him at the present time. A new manager would want his own players and could blow our Freddy nest egg money on another lot no better than we currently have. Lets also not forget what sucsess we have had over the last three years and not get spoilt on it, after all despite what we like to think we are a smallish club and have to spend wisely and patiently.

Thank Heavens for people like you on this board. I am sitting here at work on a sunday morning getting more and more despondent as I trawled through all the threads started after yesterdays match. Judging from the time of your post It would seem to me that you were actually at the game yesterday. One thing that has struck me about the hysterical rantings from posters, a vast majority posted from 5:00 pm through to 8:00pm yesterday, a vast mojority of these posters seemed to be reacting purely on the 4-1 scoreline (somewhat obviously supporters travelling back would find it difficult to post) but the posts I have read from supporters who did go to the game has suggested that the 4-1 scoreline was flattering in the extreme.

I wanted to read the comments from Shrimpers who were at Leeds yesterday before posting. I was at the Orient game but have missed the Cup game and yesterday at Elland road so I will refrain from any comments on the performance of the players at either of these two games.

I would like to ask however, one very simple question.

If, like some people on this board want, Tilly gets the heave-ho after Two games (laughs and shakes head) who would you have replace him...........................................

hmmmm,

Have we not learnt anything from the last 15 years? Manager after Manager has come and gone, most complete and utter bollox with little or no tactical nous and awareness. All making terrible signings that drove this club into the doldrums for seven long years. There are of course notable exeptions (Fry, Thomson) but they were to short lived and left for 'Bigger and brighter things'.

It makes me want to scream at my monitor when I read comments like:
TILLY MUST GO
WE MUST SIGN A PROVEN GOALSCORER
WHERE HAS THE MONEY FROM THE FREDDY TRANSFER GONE?

In the name of sanity, these people (whilst intitled to an opion) need to be shaken and slapped out of their hysteria.
I've said this before and I will say it again: Steve Tilson is the best we are ever likely to get, and oh..........hang on a minute...........isn't he THE most successful Southend manager of all time (no need for a question mark here. It is a fact.)
We went down last year. Okay, if someone had said to me in November 06 that we would be in with a shout of survival come April 07 I would have snapped their arm off at the shoulder. We had an awful last month, agreed, and it seems to have carried on into the new campaign, granted. We are Two games in. The team will gel and adjust to the new surroundings in time, and we will finish the season in a comfortable position in the league. The club needs a period of stability (preferbly in a league above league two,) as a club in the last 22 years we have been up and down more times than the trains on that other icon of our town that we all love.

Watching some of Tilly and Brush's in game desicions over the past few seasons has, at times, been frustrating. But I have also sat back and enjoyed some of the best, free-flowing, passing football I have ever seen served up at the Hall. Now that may not be true at this very moment in time but that can be blamed on the new league environment.
Tilly has not yet had a full two seasons managing at one level of the game, he is also young and learning his trade. By god, if we have achieved two promotions, two cup finals and won our highest ever accolade under a manager who is still learning his trade, we have a wonderful future ahead.

Please, lets all bear in mind that a few seasons at this level will do us no harm whatsoever. We can continue to build on our evergrowing fan base (perhaps with a few more Football league trophy runs) and competing towards the playoffs for a few seasons. Meanwhile the new Stadium will (god willing) begin to progress and THEN and only then should we be concerned if we are not competing for a spot in the championship.

So tell me C,S & W,

What would you prefer to see on the board? Endless praise?
It's just as well that a few people like to play devil's advocate on here otherwise it would be pretty boring. Dont you think?

So tell me C,S & W,

What would you prefer to see on the board? Endless praise?
It's just as well that a few people like to play devil's advocate on here otherwise it would be pretty boring. Dont you think?

Absolutly not, and this wasn't the intention of my post. I just feel that there is a massive over reaction at the moment on the state of team affairs. I am first to admit that, having watched the Orient game, Tilly made some tactically naieve decisions, but he is learning all the time. He is yet to manage a team in the same league for more than one season. Each time we got promoted or relegated an adjustment period is needed. It just concerns me that after yesterdays result, at a club who (at the moment) has a 'US against the world' metality, a large number of people are calling for Tilly's head. And it does beg the question, what good will getting rid of Tilly actually do?

Nicely put together YB but just a couple of points.......

I personally found last season harder to withstand than any of the previous 'hard times'. i assume your 'greatest moment' is beating manchester united in the carling cup? Thats fair enough i suppose, each to their own and all that. But, personally, i would have swapped that for a few more wins in the league and subsiquently a few more enjoyable saturday nights without the depression!
I'm no football guru, I cant even claim to play that football manager game but i can see that something just aint right and it has'nt been for a while now. Players or tactics, I dont know, on paper many of the individual players appear to be more than adequate but seeing them continually disintegrate on the pitch once the chips are down is worrying. So who is this down to? Manager, assistant, players themselves? Or us, the fans (as some posters will have us believe).

Absolutly not, and this wasn't the intention of my post. I just feel that there is a massive over reaction at the moment on the state of team affairs. I am first to admit that, having watched the Orient game, Tilly made some tactically naieve decisions, but he is learning all the time. He is yet to manage a team in the same league for more than one season. Each time we got promoted or relegated an adjustment period is needed. It just concerns me that after yesterdays result, at a club who (at the moment) has a 'US against the world' metality, a large number of people are calling for Tilly's head. And it does beg the question, what good will getting rid of Tilly actually do?

In answer to your last question......none at all in my eye's. (unless jose wants a new challenge ). However, He has managed us in a league for more than one season 1 believe (League 2 ) and anyway, i dont understand this 'adjustment period' you speak off. Adjust to what exactly?

In answer to your last question......none at all in my eye's. (unless jose wants a new challenge ). However, He has managed us in a league for more than one season 1 believe (League 2 ) and anyway, i dont understand this 'adjustment period' you speak off. Adjust to what exactly?

I'm referring to the drastically different styles and physical attributes of the teams and players in the various different divisions.
You could argue that one of the reasons the Ewes have done so well is that they have allowed themselves a period of stability and calm in league one and each new season building a strong foundation, allowing them to compete at a higher level. What has happened with us, is that we have stormed through the leagues, picking up silverware like a flock of magpies and sadly it has raised our expectations to an unreasonable level.

I'm referring to the drastically different styles and physical attributes of the teams and players in the various different divisions.
You could argue that one of the reasons the Ewes have done so well is that they have allowed themselves a period of stability and calm in league one and each new season building a strong foundation, allowing them to compete at a higher level. What has happened with us, is that we have stormed through the leagues, picking up silverware like a flock of magpies and sadly it has raised our expectations to an unreasonable level.

You could however argue, that the manager should prepare his team accordingly to which ever environment the team is playing in. I also dont buy that colchester 'allowed themselves a period of stability' thing. Are you suggesting that rather than try to get promoted in the preceding seasons they sat back in case they wer'nt ready?

You could however argue, that the manager should prepare his team accordingly to which ever environment the team is playing in. I also dont buy that colchester 'allowed themselves a period of stability' thing. Are you suggesting that rather than try to get promoted in the preceding seasons they sat back in case they wer'nt ready?

Ok, Ok. Maybe 'Allowed' was the wrong word, and I'm sure that given the chance of promotion earlier they would have taken it. However, I believe that had they have gone up two seasons earlier they would have suffered a similar fate to us last season. I am a firm believer in strong foundations, and whilst I enjoyed our wonderful rise up the divisions (and wasn't it marvellous!) it was never going to last given what we had in place. No, now is time to build again (this time from a much higher and healthier placing than 20th in league two) so we can eventually be considered a very good to excellent league one team/ average championship team. And from there-on in,who knows what might happen?

Last edited:
Ok, Ok. Maybe 'Allowed' was the wrong word, and I'm sure that given the chance of promotion earlier they would have taken it. However, I believe that had they have gone up two seasons earlier they would have suffered a similar fate to us last season. I am a firm believer in strong foundations, and whilst I enjoyed our wonderful rise up the divisions (and wasn't it marvellous!) it was never going to last given what we had in place. No, now is time to build again (this time from a much higher and healthier placing than 20th in league two) so we can eventually be considered a very good to excellent league one team/ average championship team. And from there-on in,who knows what might happen?

Fair enough,
There's not much in there to find defference to so i wont:) . However, As an' old fart' I remember with non too starry eyes, the pain and heartache following our previous free fall from div2 and how long it took me to come to terms with our sad demise. I hope i'm jumping the gun here but there does seem an element of 'deja vous'

Back