• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Winkle

Manager
Having grown up in the 70s/80s, I am just curious what other shrimpers liked or disliked about their youth! Here are some of mine!

10 Things I liked!

(1) 5p jambori bags!
(2) spud guns!
(3) saturday morning cinema!
(4) Scrumping!
(5) Staying out and playing runouts till the the street lights came on!
(6) lidos!
(7) Going swimming all day only to get out with your eyes stinging with clorene!
(8) Playing footie without any adults joining in!
(9) when something "racial" was only an argument over who had won a race!
(10) The innocence of youth!

10 things I hated about being a kid!

(1) Sharing bath water!
(2) Getting out of the chair to change the tv channel over!
(3) waistband trousers (I still have nightmares)!
(4) cod liver oil!
(5) T.C.P, For some reason it seems (and still does) be the miracle cure for every graze, open wound going...... but it stinged like hell!
(6) Brotherhood of man.....(dont ask)!
(7) Having to go to bed in the middle of summer when it was still daylight out!
(8) My elder brothers annoying habit of sitting on my face and farting!
(9) Parafin heaters that my nan used to own that would burn your retinas out and leave the whole house smelling of thinners! Also outside toilets!
(10) The way my mum would spit on a piece of tissue and then scrub the offending mark from my face like I was a lump of wood going through a belt sander.

school... no matter how bad it seemed at the time, it was so much dosier than work!

Saturday morning pictures is a good call.

I also miss Rosehill, Parrot Records, waiting for the new Madness record to come out, Airfix, Look-in magazine, watching Anglia on my b&w portable TV that had a dial to tune into the THREE channels available!

So many things.

I even miss the excitement of putting 50 pence pieces into the electric metre! How sad is that?

Oh! And Mr. Freeze.

From when I was a kid - teenager
I certainly don't miss
Bri-nylon....Shirts , underwear, sheets, you name it , it was made of this stuff and generally in loud colours

No TV between watch with mother at 11.30 and Childrens hour at 4.30

I miss
Proper record shops, with the new release box on the counter
Mr Byrites - The "fashion" shop for kids whose parents did not pay out top dollar
Have I ever mentioned white dog poo ??
Shoot magazine
Aztecs
3d bits
John Peel
The charts at 1 o/c on a tuesday
the "Road league" where your road had a football team and played other local roads on a saturday on the "green"

Look-in magazine, watching Anglia on my b&w portable TV that had a dial to tune into the THREE channels available!

Didnt Look In have a TV Advert & it went something like this? "La LaLa La Look in"

The youth of today would not believe TV back in those days, only had 3 channels - No Breakfast TV, Hardly any daytime TV & it Closed down at about midnight with the national anthem!

I miss

* Football Stickers
* Playing football in your lunch break
* No pressure to earn cash and do well
* The excitment of birthdays
* That buzz when you had the best trainers out your mates.
* Pulling your first ever bird.
* School Discos
* End of year day out
* Crap School football kits.

Yeah they won't be the same, must be less E numbers. I miss my grifter bike with a card stuck in the spokes to make it sound like a motorbike.

I miss the excitement of Christmas and birthdays.... now they're just rubbish.

From when I was a kid - teenager
I certainly don't miss

Mr Byrites - The "fashion" shop for kids whose parents did not pay out top dollar
That shop must have had the longest closing down sale in history!

I miss

* Football Stickers
* Playing football in your lunch break
* No pressure to earn cash and do well
* The excitment of birthdays
* That buzz when you had the best trainers out your mates.
* Pulling your first ever bird.
* School Discos
* End of year day out
* Crap School football kits.

No. 10 - Maths lessons? You only included nine....

That shop must have had the longest closing down sale in history!

It would have been so much easier if they hadn't have said that "everything must go". Otherwise they could have given up and closed down 20 years earlier.

Things I miss...

1. Summer holidays.
2. Putting the paddling pool in the back garden and filling it up from the hose-pipe. Fruck me, though, it was always freezing when you got in!
3. My Raleigh Rascal, on which I used to race around the Nobles Green area.
4. Half-penny sweets, especially black-jacks and tutti frutti.
5. Playing conkers.
6. Making cool things in woodwork at school - e.g. a sledge, a bird table, a key rack, stilts and a chair.
7. Playing playground football in winter and cricket with a tennis ball in summer.
8. Teetering around on the stilts I'd made in woodwork.
9. Cans of Quatro at Roller City on Aviation Way.
10. Most of all, playing with my Avagojo board game... bliss. :D

1. Imps.
2. Spanish Wood.
3. Saturday Morning pics at the Old Mascot then at the Odeon.
4. Bumping the penny slots down the seafront.
5.Taking Corona bottles back to the shop for about 3 old pence on the deposit, then going around the back of the shop to get some more.:o
6.Billy Smarts Circus arriving at Vic Station Southend and walking with the effalumps to Southchurch Park East.
7. The Talza Arcade at Victoria Circus.
8. When the pier had not burnt down at all ..The Jet and the Swift speedboats and the old Humber Bowling allley.
9.Kissing my first Girlfriend Jane Freeman and the innocence of those times.
10. Roots Hall in the days of Trevor Roberts,Phil Chisnell and Tony Bentley.

Last edited:
Marbles
Spud guns
Going Blackberry picking
Conkers
Playing knockdown ginger
Footie in the street
The intense excitement at Christmas

cant think of anymore at the moment.

Back