• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Massimo Giovanni

Old Timer⭐⭐
It is obvious to me that the ref using spray has helped in prem games.
Yesterday's game with Shrews saw a few disputes over getting the wall back and keeping it in place.
Don't the Football League and Ref's Association witness the improvement? AND why don't they get on board and introduce it in Football League NOW!

About the same i would say but without the attacking play or flair,it has to be seen to be believed how dire it is.

I'm not really sure it does a whole lot at the moment. Once the referee walks away, there's still nothing to stop a player encroaching.

So long as the ref keeps and eye on it then it will be a valuable aid, but if they just think "I've sprayed a line on the pitch and no-one is going to step over it" then it won't do a whole lot.

I'm not really sure it does a whole lot at the moment. Once the referee walks away, there's still nothing to stop a player encroaching.

So long as the ref keeps and eye on it then it will be a valuable aid, but if they just think "I've sprayed a line on the pitch and no-one is going to step over it" then it won't do a whole lot.

It works.We all saw that in the WC.

I didn't. I saw a referee spray a line, and then players step over it by about half a foot. I also saw the referee spray over players' feet, but not move them back.

Agree, I noticed that a lot too. It's as if the ref just assumes that defenders will not step across the line. Many do.

A week ago away at Nimes we had a lady ref and i felt it gave her a bit more power over the players at free kicks,but she did spray one line and the wall of players just left the area completely.

Agree, I noticed that a lot too. It's as if the ref just assumes that defenders will not step across the line. Many do.

Which goes back to my original point. If the ref actually uses the line to make sure no-one encroaches then great, but they can't do that because they're too busy dealing with the argy bargy going on in the area.

The ref has sprayed a line on the pitch, he's not built Hadrian's Wall. People will step over it.

Which goes back to my original point. If the ref actually uses the line to make sure no-one encroaches then great, but they can't do that because they're too busy dealing with the argy bargy going on in the area.

The ref has sprayed a line on the pitch, he's not built Hadrian's Wall. People will step over it.

Then once they've finished sorting out the argy bargy in the box they can shout at the players to get behind the line and book them if they refuse.

Then once they've finished sorting out the argy bargy in the box they can shout at the players to get behind the line and book them if they refuse.

But they have to keep an eye on the players in the area until after the ball has been kicked. They're not able to look in two places at once.

Well we'd better abolish off-side then.

Not really. The linesmen help out with that. The problem with a free kick around the box is that one linesman is on the half way line (or even further back if there are players there), and the other is indeed looking along the line for offside. The referee has keep his eye on the players as well as the wall. He can't do both, and the spray doesn't help him do that.

As I said, if there is a way to ensure the players don't encroach past the sprayed line then great, but at the moment there isn't, and I didn't see it as particularly effective. If there's no-one to police the line once it's been drawn then it might as well not be there.

Not really. The linesmen help out with that. The problem with a free kick around the box is that one linesman is on the half way line (or even further back if there are players there), and the other is indeed looking along the line for offside. The referee has keep his eye on the players as well as the wall. He can't do both, and the spray doesn't help him do that.

As I said, if there is a way to ensure the players don't encroach past the sprayed line then great, but at the moment there isn't, and I didn't see it as particularly effective. If there's no-one to police the line once it's been drawn then it might as well not be there.

It's the linesmen who need to look two places at once for off-side!

It's a lot easier to see if someone has stepped over a line than to see if someone moves when you're not looking, but I can see that you won't be won round on this argument.

A week ago away at Nimes we had a lady ref and i felt it gave her a bit more power over the players at free kicks,but she did spray one line and the wall of players just left the area completely.
Wow, a lady refereeing a League 2 game --- it would never happen in a country as progressive as England.:winking:

I agree with many posters that poor ref performances are too common & with the spray down the assessor can easily evidence and report/feedback on a ref not up to the task; and players can't argue (much!) if they are carded for not keeping the distance.
It IS progress and i want to see it introduced ASAP please FA!

It's the linesmen who need to look two places at once for off-side!

It's not as bad, but I accept that that is also a problem. It's therefore not surprising that once in a while they get it wrong.

Moreover, If you accept a linesman can't look in two places at once, why do you not accept a referee can't?

It's a lot easier to see if someone has stepped over a line than to see if someone moves when you're not looking, but I can see that you won't be won round on this argument.

Depending on where you're standing, but you still can't look in two places at once. If the ref is keeping an eye on the players in the box to ensure fair play he simply can't be looking at the wall as well. Moreover, the only way a referee can be 100% certain there is no encroachment is if they are square on to the wall/line, which (in all but one instance) is contrary to the FIFA guidelines for referees.

As I said, if they could find a way to ensure players don't encroach then great, but at the moment there is nothing to stop them.

Back