• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I remember his debut goal pretty well - good work by Goater from what I recall and a decent finish from Lawson although from a position where it would have been a terrible miss. I think it was Oldham? Not sure.

Anyway, I really think he was one of the very worst footballers I've seen play for us and certainly the worst striker. He was never prolific in the youths or on loan at any level, didn't have any real pace, was too weak to play as a targetman, couldn't really head the ball well. No idea how he ended up doing at Concord but I'd guess not very well as that is a couple of levels above his, IMO.

I remember his debut goal pretty well - good work by Goater from what I recall and a decent finish from Lawson although from a position where it would have been a terrible miss. I think it was Oldham? Not sure.

Anyway, I really think he was one of the very worst footballers I've seen play for us and certainly the worst striker. He was never prolific in the youths or on loan at any level, didn't have any real pace, was too weak to play as a targetman, couldn't really head the ball well. No idea how he ended up doing at Concord but I'd guess not very well as that is a couple of levels above his, IMO.

Whilst I agree he lacked any physical attribute to stand out and was pretty forgettable, there have been a fair few who had searing pace (Jason Harris, Yemi Abiodun), or were big (Drewe Broughton, Harry Crawford (I'm assuming he was an early developer who stopped growing), Jason Williams) or had reasonable technical skills (Matt Paterson) who managed to look far more out of place than Lawson did. His touch, movement and passing would rank him above Neville Roach or Mario Walsh as well. That's damning with faint praise but that side the season before managed to win with him in (and no Freddy) in a way that the team wasn't able to with that donkey Broughton's heavy touch, stream of free-kicks and off-sides hampering any progress. And that's just considering the forwards. He also deserves limited credit for not being Scott Ashenden, Ben Lewis, George Parris, Brett Darby or Rio Alderton.

Your earlier comments about Darryl's saves being routine for a competent keeper and how immense Spinner and Efe were that night were spot on though.

I know he went on to play for Real Madrid but I really think that after JCR totally raped Heinze, that is when Fergie decided he wasn't good enough and the writing was on the wall. I'd never seen Heinze run ragged like that before.

Just watched it again, a very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. We were magnificent in that first half, I don't remember us being quite that good.

Just watched it again, a very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. We were magnificent in that first half, I don't remember us being quite that good.

Spot on. Me and Em watched it last night and I didn't remember the football we played being that good! Freddie was just a different class upfront! Mad me a bit sad in a way!!

No. Lawson scored a few goals, look it up. I didn't say anything about his ability.

2 goals in 26 appearances. Thats a worse ratio than N'Diaye (2 in 19), Roach (2 in 19), Foran (2 in 23) and Tony Richards (2 in 20). And scored less than Graeme Jones (3 in 26); David Whyte (3 in 30); Neil Campbell (3 in 26) and Mario Walsh (3 in 28)....

This game had one of the two loudest goal celebrations I've ever experienced as a shrimper. The other being Pig's equaliser at Wembley. I'm told you could hear the crowd noise that night in Rochford, Hockley etc (not sure how true that is!!)

2 goals in 26 appearances. Thats a worse ratio than N'Diaye (2 in 19), Roach (2 in 19), Foran (2 in 23) and Tony Richards (2 in 20). And scored less than Graeme Jones (3 in 26); David Whyte (3 in 30); Neil Campbell (3 in 26) and Mario Walsh (3 in 28)....

It is indeed. You've proved your own point to yourself. I don't see any comments suggesting he was any good.

Back