• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
I assume most cricket fans on here have seen these latest proposals from the ECB. Thoughts?

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/668162/ecb-presents-100-ball-domestic-game-for-men-and-women

I'm all for thinking of new ways to get people in to cricket, but can't see that shaving 20 balls off an innings is one of them - I assume the broadcasters are involved here, seeking a game that can be squeezed in to as little time as possible.

Also, it would (I assume) be the only 100-ball league in the world. Hardly conducive to making better T20 players (which I concede probably isn't the aim. The aim is £££££).

Taking the format to one side, what do people make of the franchises anyway? As an Essex fan living in Herts I suppose the marketeers would have me down as someone who might want to watch the London team but I can't say I'd be interested. I'd possibly go to a game for a night out, but I couldn't ever see myself supporting them.

Read some interesting stuff today about how this won't be good for women's cricket either - https://crickether.com/2018/04/19/opinion-100-ball-cricket-a-nuclear-disaster-for-the-womens-game/

As for the franchise, I would support my closest team. I love IPL and BBL so would the England to have a similar competition with 4 overseas players in a team and money to attract the best of the best. I would rather it were the county sides with the extra overseas limit but places like Chelmsford and Taunton aren't going to generate the money

As a purist and follower of the longer game, I view all this hit and run stuff as killing the technical arts of batting and bowling. Little wonder the poor results at test match level and players getting themselves out unnecessarily on so many occasions by being so inept. Still, if it’s what ‘fans’ supposedly want (instant excitement) and there’s lots of dosh to be made then no doubt folk may welcome yet another limited ball competition.

To me its a crazy idea

Its only filling up the selected grounds coffers, might help Yorkshire buy a better drainage system and make it test ground status for 2020:smile:

I love T20 because its Essex and not South East Utd. I would not pay for the privilege to watch it at Oval /Lords but I suspect many will.Sky or ITV 4 will be licking their lips for rights

Back