• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

100 Best SUFC Players Ever

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Hoping to write an article for AAS on the 100 best SUFC players ever and need the help of the SZ public.
All you have to do is nominate 1 player, if they have already been nominated still put there name forward as it will help them to finish higher up the placings. You can nominate as many players as you want but please only nominate each player once.
It is based on their playing career and ability, even if they only played 1 game for the Blues, they could still win.
If there is over 100 players nominated (doubt it though) a poll will be run and eventually the top players may be decided by a poll also if necessary.
Hopefully the results will be revealed in AAS.
Thankyou.

Last edited:
Freddy Eastwood gets my first vote.

Quickest ever goal in Southend United history, 7.7 seconds on his debut. Two promotions, one LDV final appearance, his goal against Man Utd. Last player to score 20 plus goals in a season for us, and basically the guy that shot us up the Leagues.

Freddy was an incredible talent who came to us with "baggage" which had put Clubs like Charlton and Swindon off him, but Tilson took a gamble on him and after 7.7 seconds he started to pay that back. Freddy had that "X" factor about him, everytime he recieved the ball you expected something to happen, but you never quite new what. He scored goals with his right foot, left foot and his head. He scored free kicks, penalties, goals from the touch line, 1 yard tap ins and 30 yard screamers.

Gareth Risbridger, his performance against Darlington was one of the best performances I've ever seen in a Southend shirt.

Freddy Eastwood... 2
Dave Regis... 1
Gareth Risbridger... 1
Michael Ricketts... 1
Derek Spence... 1

Freddy Eastwood... 2
Dave Regis... 1
Gareth Risbridger... 1
Michael Ricketts... 1
Derek Spence... 1
Stan Collymore... 1
Mark Gower... 1

Remember this has to fill up 100 places so don't just vote for your top 1, vote for maybe your top 5! Thanks

Sam, surely this has been done through YB's Hall of Fame? I'm sure we had to nominate for that, so just find the original threads.

If you really want to do this all again, then I'd vote for Billy Best, Freddy Eastwood and Alan Moody as a top 3 - count them as you will!

From recent times:

Freddy Eastwood
Mark Gower
Nicky Baily
Kevin Maher
Adam Barrett

And if we are including loan players:

Dorian Devritte
Adam Federici

And, of course, how could we forget:

BART...

Chris Powell

powell2.jpg

Last edited:
I've been priviliged to see so many great players in my club's colours over the past 22 years. Eastwood, Marsh, Powell, Royce, Otto etc. If we include loan players you'd have to say Dervite too. I also loved watching Ansah when he was here, there was always a buzz when he got the ball. In terms of clever players the likes of Goater and Ian Benjamin must be mentioned, although in my opinion the cleverest we had was Mike Marsh. Shame he was a cut above everyone else at the club, the players around him were never quick enough in the head to react to his incisive play.

The best player ever was Collymore, no question. I doubt I'll ever see a more talented player at SUFC in my lifetime. Even playing in Division One he was almost certainly at that time one of the top 6 or 7 strikers in England. It's no wonder Turnip Taylor considered calling him up for that fateful night in Amsterdam.....

Back