• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ian Benjamin

Scorer of "that" goal at Bury, which took us to the promised land of the 2nd Division, for good measure he then scored our 1st goal in the aforementioned 2nd Division. A true legend.

Caddette and Sammy gone already? Bugger! Still, rules are rules, so I shall be nominating....

Simon Royce

Managed to oust the brilliant Paul Sansome from the side and eventually went on to play 169 times in seven years.

His last two years were with a truly rotten side - twice relegated and bottom each time - and he was more overworked than a prisoner in a Soviet Gulag. Had he not been between the sticks, things couldn't have got much worse - as I mentioned, we finished bottom twice in a row - but our woeful teams of 96-98 gave Roycie the chance to show what a great shot stopper he was.

Has gone on to enjoy a fruitful career in the top two divisions of English football and I still keep a eye out for his performance, whoever he's playing for,

ANTON OTULAKOWSKI - Midlfielder

Played for us between 1979 and 1983, came to us from the hamsters and left us for the Millwall.

Two things really stick out about this busy little midfielder, firstly on his debut there were the awful problems that the tannoy announcer of the time had trying to pronounce his name, in the end after several goes i think he just coughed out something that noone in the ground could understand and then moved on to the next player.

Secondly, in the 1980-81 season, when we won the 4th Division, he perfected a new type of throw in where he did a forward flip and the momentum launched the ball nearly half the length of the pitch. Unfortunately, Dave Smith, the manager of the time banned him from doing it as he said that he didnt want him to injure himself.

Anton alwsya gave his all even though he only scored 8 times in 187 games. (Thanks SUFC Database youre a star)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Aug. 25 2006,07:26)]Damon Searl

Damon played over 150 times for Southend including 7 sub apperances, Damon a player who was like a rock at left back who I still belive since Chris Powell to be our best left back.

Time and time again it was a pleasure to see Damon play with such passion and pride to ware the shirt, he was a player for me who always gave 110% for the team even though he was playing for a side in the dark days of the late 90's and early 21st century.

For me Searl would have been an Ideal choice for captain he was always vocal and was playing for the team not just himself.

Another great thing I personaly loved about Searl was his ability to play left back and then switch into a left wing back role taking possesion of the ball and driving the team forward from defence.

He may sound like a strange choice for alot of people but I could never question his commitment and his work rate for the team, it was a sad day when Wignall began the cull which included him, but he will forever remain a top player and top bloke to boot!
His volley against Rushden a few years back was class.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Aug. 25 2006,09:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Aug. 25 2006,09:55)]Jimmy Shankly
I didn't realise you were that old, FS?!
I may not have seen him in my lifetime but he has become a legend...........

Yeah ok i didn't read it properly
tounge.gif

Peter Taylor then

One of the few Southend United palyers to go on to play for England, an exciting winger who was one of my firrst RH heroes (Billy Best has already been done and I can't remember enough about Brian Albeson)

Cant believe I am the first to post this...

STEVE TILSON

An absolute legend as a player, worked endlessly for the team and even when he was forced out - his heart was always at Roots Hall (not Canvey!!) He was versatile - often going in goal after sending offs/injuries and off the picth had time for the fans and was a great ambassador for the club!! And he's still doing it all now.................................

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mrs P @ Aug. 25 2006,09:58)]Cant believe I am the first to post this...

STEVE TILSON

An absolute legend as a player, worked endlessly for the team and even when he was forced out - his heart was always at Roots Hall (not Canvey!!) He was versatile - often going in goal after sending offs/injuries and off the picth had time for the fans and was a great ambassador for the club!! And he's still doing it all now.................................
Has anyone else heard of this bloke?
rock.gif
tounge.gif
oops.gif

I was going to go for Tilson but was pipped at the post. Top shout Mrs P.

Derek Spence.

As a 10 year old surrounded by West Ham fans Derek was my hero a hat-trick against York at the start of 80/1. When we would play at school, park or in the garden I would always be the Irish International.

All these selections would be good in a book.

100 Great players from the first century of Southend United F.C. by members of Shrimperzone.com

How could we get this published?

Would be a great keepsake for all SUFC fans.

The All At Sea team could get involved too.

RONNIE WHELAN: Slightly controversial as I know a lot of people carry a lot of negativity towards the man for his spell in charge of the club- and certainly, his comments towards us in various commentary positions leave something to be desired. But as a player, he oozed class- who else could have hit enough good through-balls for Gary Jones to score 11 non-offside goals in a season?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Aug. 25 2006,10:11)]All these selections would be good in a book.

100 Great players from the first century of Southend United F.C. by members of Shrimperzone.com

Sounds like a good idea ... but Peter Miles and David Goody have already written a book about our 100 greatest players so i think it'll be a non-runner tbh

Stuart Thurgood for the goal he scored at Great Wakering Rovers in the ESC

OK, I choose

Dave Martin

Hard as nails, scored goals, sold dodgy stuff to his team-mates. A true lower league player.

Ricky Otto

Undoubtedly one of the most exciting wingers ever to grace our team. An extraordinarily gifted player with lightening quick pace and an eye for goal that always had us on the edge of our seats.

Pat Scully

Oh Pat Scully is an International, An International, An International
biggrin.gif

Formed part of the squad when we were last where we are today and was a strong part of the Back Line. Moved on to Huddersfield where he done well before Moving back to his native Ireland and playing in the Irish Premierleague with Shelbourne. Top Bloke as well
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BLUEBLOOD @ Aug. 25 2006,10:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Aug. 25 2006,10:11)]All these selections would be good in a book.

Sounds like a good idea ... but Peter Miles and David Goody have already written a book about our 100 greatest players so i think it'll be a non-runner tbh
True, but this would be just by members of SZ.

Mickey Stead.

Because firstly he was in our Championship winning team of 1980/81 and secondly he gave Gary Megson a good Right Hander in the FA Cup 3rd Round game vs Sheffield Wednesday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Aug. 25 2006,10:30)]
[b said:
[b said:

I'm not sure if they copyrighted the idea though, i could find out if they have or not if anyone is interested in taking it further.
In fact i know that the guys were contemplating publishing their next book themselves, so they may even be able to offer some suggestions on how to get the project off the ground

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BLUEBLOOD @ Aug. 25 2006,10:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Aug. 25 2006,10:30)]
[b said:
[b said:

I'm not sure if they copyrighted the idea though, i could find out if they have or not if anyone is interested in taking it further.
In fact i know that the guys were contemplating publishing their next book themselves, so they may even be able to offer some suggestions on how to get the project off the ground
Yeah would be worth finding out.

Would be good to have a SZ.COM publication.

Peter Taylor - Class and a True Blue

Billy Best - Just up the road (Northampton) - The Jimmy Greaves of the 4th Division

Freddy Eastwood - The best is yet to come. With us - Who Knows!

Alan Moody - Best defender ever at SUFC.

Kevin Maher - For sticking with us through the bad times - Man & Boy !

Sorry,

How could I forget Daryll !

My wife loves him - remember the flag !

Back