• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Xàbia Shrimper

Co-founder of ShrimperZone
Let's start our own ShrimperZone centenary celebrations by picking 100 players who have turned out for Southend United. But let's choose them on a personal level in YOUR lifetime - first come, first served (no repeats) - with your reason WHY you choose this player. We all have different tastes, I'm pretty sure we can come up with 100 different players.

I'll start with:

ALAN MOODY
He is my selection simply because he was my first sporting hero. He was well established when I first started watching the Shrimpers in 1976 and well on his way to those 500+ appearances. He was almost always in total command and an absolute rock in defence; he was also rather good at penalties and I dare say most of his 44 goals came from the spot.

SELECTIONS

1. Alan Moody (XS)
2. Adam Barrett (Mr Wooly)
3. Freddy Eastwood (shrimper4life)
4. Darryl Flahavan (fredheim_holm)
5. Billy Best (Norwichsufc)
6. Paul Clark (Tony The Kray)
7. Chris Powell (gilbo)
8. Stan Collymore (Beefy)
9. Richard Cadette (zulu_shrimper)
10. Peter Butler (pboreham)
11. Damon Searle (True Blue)
12. Mervyn Cawston (canveyshrimper)
13. David Crown (MrB)
14. Jimmy Shankley (The Ancient Firestorm)
15. Mike Marsh (The Eternal Optimist)
16. Paul Sansome (Matt the Shrimp)
17. Ian Benjamin (Billericay Blue)
18. Simon Royce (Uxbridge Shrimper)
19. Anton Otulakowski (weststander)
20. Steve Tilson (Mrs P)
21. Derek Spence (SUFCEssex)
22. Ronnie Whelan (loz)
23. David Martin (Napster)
24. Ricky Otto (Technician)
25. Pat Scully (EastStandBlue)
26. Micky Stead (ldnfatso)
27. Peter Taylor(Banksy)
28. Rob Newman (Slipperduke)
29. Ron Pountney (hullbridge shrimper)
30. Spener Prior (Hong Kong Blue)
31. Gary Bennett (The Bloke in the Pram Shop)
32. Martin Ling (gbshrimper)
33. Roy McDonough (Rayleigh Weir)
34. Dave Cusack (Prodigal Son)
35. Julian Hails (Stodge)
36. Steven Hammell (shrimper2thecore)
37. Dave Worthington (Suffolk Shrimper)
38. Steve Yates (SteveYatesSocks)
39. Mike Lapper (Eastwood Shrimper)
40. John McKinven (Snowy)
41. Steve Phillips (SUFCLiam's Dad)
42. Mark Bentley (OneDreweBroughton)
43. Leon Cort (swanseashrimper)
44. Kevin Maher (leeblue)
45. Colin Morris (The Big Shrimp)
46. Martin Robinson (wardy)
47. Mark Gower (ASHRIMPER)
48. Wayne Gray (jcrcr)
49. Che Wilson (shrimper loz)
50. Chris Guthrie (chrisguthrie)
51. Terry Gray (sussexbythesea)
52. Drewe Broughton (Matty the Shrimper)

Updated: 29-08-06 11:05 CET

Adam Barrett

In my (relatively) short period of following Southend, Adam Barrett has epitomised what this current SUFC side is all about - passion, commitment, consistency and determination. Despite being blessed with no great pace, not being as dominant in the air as he should be and a sometimes frightening tendancy to go on Franz Beckenbauer type raids from the back, he's still played an amazing part in Southend's rise over the last two seasons. Not just his desire to throw his body in front of shots, and being a generally good, solid defender, but his knack of popping up with vital goals from set plays. 11 goals for a centre back in our L2 promotion season was an amazing achievement - including 3 games in which he netted twice (Macclesfield, Notts County and Northampton).

Despite not being captain, Barrett continues to offer great leadership qualities and his fist-pumping antics and individual player motivation before each game displays his fierce affection with Southend United. Freddy may get the adulation, and deservedly so, but Barrett has been just as vital in Southend's rise back to the big time.

Freddy Eastwood

His name says it all. Whether he leaves before close of transfer next week or not, he will always be remembered as the prolific goalscorer helping us to 2 promotions. Undoubtedly without him we would probably not be in the championship right now. His 53 (or 52?) odd goals in 2 and a half seasons shows how lucky we really are at having such a prolific goalscorer. Whatever happens to him in the future, he will definatley be a legend in my eyes

Darryl Flahavan

The small tiger between the sticks. In my view, he wouldn't be playing for Southend if he was a few inches taller, his ability is up there for the premiership. He was one of the defining players in our 2 successive promotions as i saw a stat last year that Southend had less shots than most teams, but scored more and had more saves than any other/most (??? memory is going). He's been trully great recently and is the only keeper for me.

tounge.gif

Darryl Flahavan

Well what can you say about this man that's not already been said.

Not the tallest of goalkeepers by any means, but what a shotstopper.  He's the same height as Fabien Barthez (5ft11).
What he lacks in height, he sure makes up for in bravery, agility and reflexes.

Initially signed on a free in 2000 by David Webb from non-league Woking, he put in some commanding displays.  Then he was mysteriously released by a manager who did nothing but bad for Southend (Steve Wignall).  Seeing the error of his ways, and the fans bitter dissapointment, Wignall re-signed him.

Flahavan just carried on from where he left off.

He has been one of the major factors of The Shrimpers rise up from League two.  The game's he kept us in with important saves, and excellent saves from the odd penalty.  Darryl is truely one of the all time great goalkeepers for Southend United.

He rates alongside greats like the ever dependable Paul Sansome and the hugely agile Simon Royce.

Tragically in 2001, Darryl lost his elder Brother 'Aaron' in a car crash.  Aaron was also a goalkeeper who played for Portsmouth, ironically one of Darryls former clubs was Southampton (Portsmouth's rivals).

Darryl called his baby boy Aaron after his Brother, and what price his son following in the footsteps of his Father and late uncle?

Darryl is a hero and long may it continue.  His brilliance was awarded at the 2005/06 PFA awards dinner, where he was voted the League One goalkeeper of the year and quite rightly so!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fredheim_holm @ Aug. 24 2006,23:44)]Darryl Flahavan

The small tiger between the sticks. In my view, he wouldn't be playing for Southend if he was a few inches taller, his ability is up there for the premiership. He was one of the defining players in our 2 successive promotions as i saw a stat last year that Southend had less shots than most teams, but scored more and had more saves than any other/most (??? memory is going). He's been trully great recently and is the only keeper for me.

tounge.gif
Ooops didn't notice your post before i posted my piece on Darryl
oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Aug. 24 2006,23:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fredheim_holm @ Aug. 24 2006,23:44)]Darryl Flahavan

tounge.gif
Ooops didn't notice your post before i posted my piece on Darryl
oops.gif
Don't worry yours is better.

laugh.gif

Paul Clark

For my money, the best ever centre half and captain i've seen play for Southend!

Was strong in the tackle, and just a no nonsense player.

Ok he wasn't the quickest around, but he sure read the game well!

In my opinion, Clark was the defining factor of our promotion to the second level of the English game for the first time.

He was your rugged and traditional looking centre half that wore the Blue of Southend with huge pride, he was Mr 100% and never let anyone down.

To say how versatile he was, he also took the reigns of managing the club, although this wasn't as a success to what he was a player for the club. He also steered the ship in troubled times as a caretaker manager, this he done to the best of his ability and never failed anyone.

He can now be heard sometimes on BBC Essex sport as a co-commentator on Southend matches.

Chris Powell

For 6 years this guy patrolled and controlled the left flank, running the entire length of the pitch before whipping a cross in. Linked up well with Tilson on the left wing, and was a good dead ball taker.

Derby stole him for £800k, which was a bargin!!! Went on to play in the premiership and still does, and won 5 england caps.

This guy was awesome!

Stan Collymore

I feel quite guilty for choosing Stan, firstly because he's an easy pick and secondly because I feel sure that someone else would have been able to give him a far more eloquent entry and one far more deserving of the man.

On the other hand, does it really matter who took this pick and what they said? For if any name in this list was a given it was that of Stanley Victor Collymore.

Quite frankly, Stan Collymore is the finest footballer ever to have worn a Southend United shirt. From the moment he burst onto the scene with a debut brace against Notts County, Southend fans knew that what they had on their hands here wasn't any old footballer. It was something special. Someone special. Big, strong, implausably quick, two footed, as lethal from six yards as he was from 25. Stan, along with Barry Fry, dragged this club from certain relegation to Division Two and allowed us to fight another day in Division One.

I think sometimes we forget just how good Stan was. His former Villa manager, John Gregory once claimed that he had the same ability that Thierry Henry now shows most weeks for Arsenal. He was the most gifted English striker of his generation - ahead of Shearer, Wright, Ferdinand, Sheringham, Fowler and the rest. And he was never better than those seven short months he spent at Southend United.

Stan played just 31 games for Southend, scoring 18 goals along the way. That was 13 years ago but it feels like yesterday. Whatever else you can say about Stan Collymore the footballer and Stan Collymore the man, what is undeniable is that his footballing genius will live in the memory of those who saw it up close until the day that they die.

RICHARD CADETTE

One of the, if not the, best strikers we have ever had at Roots Hall . . . what he lacked in height, he certainly made up for in speed and his eye for goal.

Richard played over 100 games for the Blues in the mid 80's (1985-1987) scoring 56 goals in this time (0.54 goals per game) . . . while this ratio is bettered by Stan Collymore (0.58 goals per match), Cadette had a longer spell at the club. Incidentally, Cadette really burst onto the scene with Southend, hitting 4 goals on his league debut against Leyton Orient.

While he never really progressed to greater things, like Stan Collymore did, Richard Cadette will remain long in the memory of those fortunate enough to have witnessed him playing during his oh too brief stay - a gent on and off the pitch, Cadette in his prime would walk in to todays starting 11

Al

Peter Butler

Peter Butler is one of the first 'heros' I remember from supporting Southend since 1986.

I started going regularly to Southend matches in 1987 so when Butler joined in 1988 I was a totally dedicated young fan and looking for a hero. Butlers bustling perfomances in midfield caught my eye!

He went on to be an important part of David Webbs squad during the promotion season of 89/90 to the 3rd Division and again in the following successive promotion to Division 2 in 90/91.

Looking back, Butler was very much the 'water carrier' in that young side, looking all over midfield for the tackle like a snapping dog and when he got the ball it was rarely wasted, making him a valuable part of the team.

One last memory of Butler was when he suffered a bad knee injury - IIRC in the 91/92 Division 2 season and I travelled up to Sunderland on my own just to see his return to the team as a sub!

After leaving Southend, Butler moved on to West Ham and spent some time playing in the top flight - an opportunity he duly deserved.

Paul

Damon Searl

Damon played over 150 times for Southend including 7 sub apperances, Damon a player who was like a rock at left back who I still belive since Chris Powell to be our best left back.

Time and time again it was a pleasure to see Damon play with such passion and pride to ware the shirt, he was a player for me who always gave 110% for the team even though he was playing for a side in the dark days of the late 90's and early 21st century.

For me Searl would have been an Ideal choice for captain he was always vocal and was playing for the team not just himself.

Another great thing I personaly loved about Searl was his ability to play left back and then switch into a left wing back role taking possesion of the ball and driving the team forward from defence.

He may sound like a strange choice for alot of people but I could never question his commitment and his work rate for the team, it was a sad day when Wignall began the cull which included him, but he will forever remain a top player and top bloke to boot!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Norwichsufc @ Aug. 24 2006,23:59)]Billy Best

Sorry Canvey if I beat you to it.
Here's his record for us,courtesy of sufcdb.co.uk.

Billy Best

Still my all time favourite.
laugh.gif

I am sure he would have got a few other votes as well, and Chris Powell has also been spoken for.

Therefore I will opt for Mervyn Cawston, IMO probably the best keeper we have had, although Sammy runs him close. A good line & shot stopper, and excellent coming for the high ball. Also a fairly good record saving penalties. One memorable save was against Bolton (Neil Whatmore) into the North Bank in a League Cup game. Blues had won the 1st leg 2-1 and that save took us through to the next round. Bolton were a 1st Division side at the time (Premier League these days).

Also special praise for the 4th Divison Championship side when he did not concede a goal at home in over 1000 minutes of play, he was an integral part of that team which broke many records that season and bought the first ever trophy to Roots Hall.

DAVID CROWN

Signed effectively as a replacement for Richard Cadette (a tough act to follow, Crown was our top scorer 3 seasons running in the yo-yo times of the late 80's. He scored one of the goals in the 4-0 win against Blackpool that kept us up, managed 29 goals in our relegation season of 88/89 and followed that up with 23 goals as we were promoted again in 89/90 before he left for Gillingham (and we signed a certain Brett Angell).

My main memories:
a) the aforementioned Blackpool game where the pitch was invaded after the match and with the crowd chanting 'Jobson out' at full force, Crown appeared from the directors box (I assume this was a Jobson ploy), threw his shirt into the crowd and everyone was happy again!
b) The Spurs home game. Having lost the away leg 1-0 we were unfortunate to go out onm away goals after beating them 3-2 at our place. I was standing right behind the goal when Crown's shot beat the keeper but agonisingly struck the post and rolled away to safety depsite the best efforts of the North Bank to suck it in!

Mike Marsh

Ronnie Whelan pulled off a masterstroke when he, the current Southend United manager, paid a club record fee of £500,000 to lure Marshy away from Turkish side Galatasary in August 1995.

Marshy soon became a Roots Hall favourite with his dazzling performances. He was the creative midfielder that hopefully Gutts will emulate. He captained the side and inspired the blues to some notable victories. His career at the blues was cut short by injury when he was forced to retire from the professional game after making almost 100 appearances for the club.

I still think he was the best penalty taker the blues have had because no keeper got anywhere near his penalties which were dispatched with force into the top corner of the net.

Marshy scored 13 times for the blues and my pick of these was the last gasp 35 yard lop against Ipswich to seal a well deserved 2-1 victory.

Paul Sansome

Well, my all time favourite player (as most of you know, Chrissy P) has already rightly been snapped up, so I'm going to pick Sammy as the next best player I've ever seen in my time at Roots Hall.

How Webby persuaded him to come from Millwall - then very much a Div 1/2 yo-yo side (that's the Premiership for our younger readers) - to Southend United, then very much a Div 3/4 yo--yo side, and at that time in Division 4, I'll never know.

However, since I post-date Mr. Cawston's time at the club, I can certainly say in all confidence that Sammy is the best keeper I have ever seen in the colours of Southend.  When Sammy was "between the sticks", there was an aura of confidence that permeated around the Southend area, between a tip-top defence... and a sublime keeper.

There have been other excellent keepers since - Roycey and Darryl (latterly) are no slouches in the number 1 shirt.  But neither had Sammy's all-round control of the area, his anticipation, his claiming of crosses and his unremittingly huge (and accurate) goal kicks... and even if Darryl's shot stopping is incredible, Sammy's wasn't far behind.

So I nominate Paul Sansome - for me, Southend United's all-time number 1.

biggrin.gif

Back