• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mine is my 2nd fav as Billericay Blue has swiped mine best is as follows.

Mitchell Cole vs Colchest-aahh  29-Aug-2005.

Sure nearly everoyne on here was at the game but it was so special for me. Cole goals come around less often than a lunar eclipse and against Colchest-aahh always makes it special.

Loved the way he had so long to think about where to put it and I can only imagine the worry with all the farmers as he got closer. They were so cocky having just come back and it for me was a great way to kill em off.

DtS  
glare.gif

As ORM has said how can you select a goal from donkeys years of them.

However I will nominate one, as it was both spectacular and came from such an unexpected source.

Owen Simpson v Northampton 25/9/70 (thanks sufcdb) in front of 9000+. IIRC it was a totally drab game. Owen Simpson was a tubby northern left back with no neck, who enjoyed overlapping but seldom if ever scored. This particular night he was steaming over the half way line and the ball bobbled invitingly in front of him. Whereupon he swung his trusty lefy foot from about 40 yards out, everyone in the North Bank were alarmed and all ducked in a reflex action, as the ball smashed into the top corner of the goal. To the astonishment of all, not least Owen.

I worked with Owen some years later and he absolutely swore down he meant it. Great goal and a good bloke as well.

Brett Angell v Swindon Town November 9th 1991

A half-volley from fully 40 yards. Probably best remembered as well because it was one of the few goals - if not the only goal - scored by Angell OUTSIDE of the six-yard box!
laugh.gif

Dont know when it was or if i am even aloud to vote twice but i remember when we had a bit of rivalry a few years back with brighton and we played them at preistfield . we were trailing 1-0 with time about up when we qualise. Cant remember who scored that , but i do remember that whilst we were still celebrating the game kicks off and jerome boere of all people cracks a belter from about 20 yards. To send us absoloutely mental. Great day out.

I like the way goals get a lot better when they're being recalled in this way (including my own pick I bet, if ever I saw it again).

Freddy took about two paces with the ball at Bristol City before smashing it in (admittedly in some style), not the 15-yard run described above and Brett Angell's goal against Swindon was from just outside the box (it was also a volley btw). I know this because I always swore blind it was from 30 yards away because I've had it down as one of my all time best as well. Then I saw it on the 91 season video a few years back - on the coach to Grimsby! - and he's just outside the box when he strikes it. I felt confused and quite frankly let down
upside.gif
which was a feeling that was to grow considerably that day
down.gif

Still a cracking goal though, as all those mentioned were (I'll have to take your word for it on Owen Simpson's)

OK, really random... but I'm going for Jonny Hunt's goal in a 2-1 defeat to promotion-bound Crystal Palace at Roots Hall on 6th April 1994.

I remember it being an almost surreal evening as I approached the game.  Carlton TV were either covering the game live or providing extended highlights, and so the game was surrounded by ultra-bright lights and loads of TV cameras.

In a crowd of nigh-on 10,000, Palace had brought loads - they filled the South Stand and half the East - well over 2,500, I reckon - and well they might.  With Bright and Armstrong up front, manager Alan Smith was taking the Eagles back up to the top flight.

Sure enough, the head-banded Eric Young put Palace 1-0 up in an evenly fought first half from a corner in front of the North Bank.  Palace went delirious, Alan Smith danced on the pitch, and I felt miserable.

However, after half time, the Blues came out buzzing... and 5 minutes after the restart, we had a sweeping move up the pitch.  The ball broke to Jonny Hunt on the edge of the area, near the East stand, and he lashed it into the top corner in front of the North Bank.

The North Bank erupted.  We had been tightly packed in there anyway, but with that goal - a true Roy of the Rovers net-busting larrup, as I recall it - we went bananas.  We were standing cheek by jowl, we surged forward as the ball went in the net, and I was screaming myself hoarse.

Suddenly, I became aware that the periphery of my vision had gone black, and the bit in the middle - that I could see - was swimming.  This didn't seem right... what was going on?  Oh, I thought, after a couple of seconds of trying to work it out...

I'm bloomin' well fainting!

oops.gif

My knees buckled, although luckily my mate Will - all 6'5" of him - was alongside me on the terrace.  I grabbed on to him, trying to work out what was going on and how to fix it, when it dawned on me.

With all the surging, all the screaming, all the leaping up and down... I had forgotten to breathe in well over a minute!

oops.gif
laugh.gif

I took in a lungful, whereupon my eyesight was restored and my knees stopped buckling.  To be honest, it didn't really matter that Armstrong later scored Palace's winner... after that goal, and that celebration, I knew I'd had my money's-worth that evening.

Only one other goal has come close, and that was Freddy's goal at the Millennium Stadium.  Plenty cite Juppy's goal as their "moment" from the play-off final, but for me, it's Freddy's goal.  In a similar vein to the Jonny Hunt goal, when it went in, I actually had a "white out".  I couldn't see for about 5 seconds.  Instead, all I could do was feel... perceive.  And all I felt was simply:

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>"YES!"</span>

It is slightly scary when it happens, but truly amazing and awe-inspiring when it does.  I've had two such occurrences in 15 years, which ain't bad going.

But I'll leave someone else to claim Freddy's play-off goal - my all-time favourite SUFC goal is Jonny Hunt's against Palace.

smile.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ Aug. 30 2006,16:05)]Dont know when it was or if i am even aloud to vote twice but i remember when we had a bit of rivalry a few years back with brighton and we played them at preistfield . we were trailing 1-0 with time about up when we qualise. Cant remember who scored that , but i do remember that whilst we were still celebrating the game kicks off and jerome boere of all people cracks a belter from about 20 yards. To send us absoloutely mental. Great day out.
We might have had a rivalry with Brighton and they did play at Priestfield, but that was definitely Gillingham we did that to.

Regis Coulbault got the equaliser.

I think Gillingham led for 87 minutes and still lost&#33;

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Aug. 30 2006,15:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BILLERICAY BLUE @ Aug. 30 2006,14:50)]David Crown

Home against Wigan Athletic

1/4/88.

Picked up the ball on the half way line just in front of the dug-outs, weaved past a couple of players and belted it into the top left-hand corner of the North Bank net from about 35 yards, to seal a come from behind 3-2 win and to start my suppport of The Shrimpers.  Thanks Crowny  
smile.gif
I cannot believe I spent 20 mins working out from a list of 10 my fav goal only for you to beat me too it.....

Not playing now.....
down.gif
If its any consolation this is my favourite too
down.gif

So many fantastic goals down the years its so hard to pick one but as Crowns was my pick i will choose another of his, details are sketchy so if someone can fill in the date for me i'd be grateful

Gillingham away in the absolute pouring rain, i had a cold too and was really suffering
sad.gif

One down (which helped my mood no end.. not !!) till about 10 minutes from time when we were awarded a free kick about 25 yards out, Crown just ran up and belted it, it went like a tracer bullet and virtually ripped the net
biggrin.gif

In that split second i didn't feel the cold, wet and rain as the away end went mental, and i realised there is no better medicine than seeing Southend United score a goal

yep your right was gillingham . Thanks for putting me right (making me look a plum)

That was about March &#39;88... how sad am I
oops.gif

I have a really attractive girlfriend.... honest&#33;
smile.gif

Saturday 23rd March 2002.

Southend 2 - 0 Scunthorpe

Back in those days there were 4 of us that had season tickets, me, blues_r_best, shrimpersarmy and another lad that doesn&#39;t post on here, anyway blues_r_best decided he wasn&#39;t goning to watch rubbish 3rd division football that day and decided to go to Highbury instead. Needless to say he missed my favourite goal, I can&#39;t remember the build up very well, but i do remember Newman scissor kick our second goal into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

It was a brilliant goal for a few reasons, first of all Newman wasn&#39;t exactly the smallest bloke yet manage to get horizontal at around chest height. He was also a centre back, yet managed to finish like that, and of course the best reason it was a good goal was because blues_r_best missed it

Alexis

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alexis_SUFC @ Aug. 30 2006,17:00)]anyway blues_r_best decided he wasn&#39;t goning to watch rubbish 3rd division football that day and decided to go to Highbury instead.
goning?

If he went to Arsenal instead surely it should be gooner?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BLUEBLOOD @ Aug. 30 2006,16:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Aug. 30 2006,15:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BILLERICAY BLUE @ Aug. 30 2006,14:50)]David Crown

Home against Wigan Athletic

1/4/88.

Picked up the ball on the half way line just in front of the dug-outs, weaved past a couple of players and belted it into the top left-hand corner of the North Bank net from about 35 yards, to seal a come from behind 3-2 win and to start my suppport of The Shrimpers.  Thanks Crowny  
smile.gif
I cannot believe I spent 20 mins working out from a list of 10 my fav goal only for you to beat me too it.....

Not playing now.....
down.gif
If its any consolation this is my favourite too  
down.gif

So many fantastic goals down the years its so hard to pick one but as Crowns was my pick i will choose another of his, details are sketchy so if someone can fill in the date for me i'd be grateful

Gillingham away in the absolute pouring rain, i had a cold too and was really suffering
sad.gif

One down (which helped my mood no end.. not !!) till about 10 minutes from time when we were awarded a free kick about 25 yards out, Crown just ran up and belted it, it went like a tracer bullet and virtually ripped the net  
biggrin.gif

In that split second i didn't feel the cold, wet and rain as the away end went mental, and i realised there is no better medicine than seeing Southend United score a goal
Damn, beaten to it. Crowny's v Wigan is also my favourite. Sealed a 3-2 win from 2-0 down in a game we had to win to have any chance of staying up.

Had forgotten his Gillingham goal. What a cracker and what a pitch - in this day and age (god, I'm sounding old) the game would definitely have been called off.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 30 2006,17:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alexis_SUFC @ Aug. 30 2006,17:00)]anyway blues_r_best decided he wasn&#39;t goning to watch rubbish 3rd division football that day and decided to go to Highbury instead.
goning?

If he went to Arsenal instead surely it should be gooner?
To be fair, my dad had got free tickets and it was the FA Cup Quarter final or Semi final against Newcastle.

Arsenal were awesome that day, winning 3-0.

Went wearing my Southend shirt and met another shrimper there who said that his missus was dragging him along to that game.

Mine has to be Drewe Broughton diving header against Luton Town in the LDV Vans 2 years ago nutmegging the keeper on the way.

Back