• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hmmm. I somehow suspect any detailed analysis of one of the below's own goals against (/for
biggrin.gif
) Orient would be a fruitless exercise, unless sufcintheprem is prepared to adopt a sense of humour for number 100
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ldnfatso @ Aug. 31 2006,10:56)]I'm surprised Freddie's acute angle goal at home last season against i can't remember is not listed yet!
Hartlepool. That was a bloody good goal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Big Shrimp @ Aug. 30 2006,19:16)]So many to choose from & I would have to chose between Freddy's goal at Cardiff vs Lincoln in the Play Off Final, purely for the relief to score there & to put us on the way up. My other to choose from is Brett Angell vs Oxford on Boxing Day 1991, at the Manor Ground. If I remember correctly, we were outplayed & under extreme pressure for 89/90 minutes, when direct from an Oxford corner, we broke away down the right wing. Angell ran down the centre of the pitch like a giraffe on speed to meet a perfect cross & head in for 1-0. Cue the ref to then blow for full time at the restart. Merry Christmas! & I was!

Which one do I choose?? Angell's just coz we'd totally outplayed & their fans were not very nice (I'm being polite!) beforehand!
IIRC this was the game when Darryl Smith took an acoustic guitar with him and was playing little ditties throughout the game.. oh how we laughed
blush.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BLUEBLOOD @ Aug. 31 2006,11:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Big Shrimp @ Aug. 30 2006,19:16)]So many to choose from & I would have to chose between Freddy's goal at Cardiff vs Lincoln in the Play Off Final, purely for the relief to score there & to put us on the way up. My other to choose from is Brett Angell vs Oxford on Boxing Day 1991, at the Manor Ground. If I remember correctly, we were outplayed & under extreme pressure for 89/90 minutes, when direct from an Oxford corner, we broke away down the right wing. Angell ran down the centre of the pitch like a giraffe on speed to meet a perfect cross & head in for 1-0. Cue the ref to then blow for full time at the restart. Merry Christmas! & I was!

Which one do I choose?? Angell's just coz we'd totally outplayed & their fans were not very nice (I'm being polite!) beforehand!
IIRC this was the game when Darryl Smith took an acoustic guitar with him and was playing little ditties throughout the game.. oh how we laughed    
blush.gif
Well it spurred us on to a victory didn't it!

And it was a Spanish guitar
tounge.gif

As SouthendNeil (Below), has just stolen mine!!
tounge.gif

I am going for the most sureal goal ever, the one that made me laugh and jump around the most:

Nicky Nicolau direct from a corner!!

Swindon LDV

Get in the Greek!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneDreweBroughton @ Aug. 30 2006,22:26)]Another 100 list: has Shrimperzone been takenover by Channel 4
rock.gif

Whilst I go and prepare my 100 favourite top 100s (should 100 top non-goals come in above top 100 transfer suggestions?), can we just make this one a bit easier and automatically include all 18 of Stanley's?
Yeah, great idea. Except for the fact that only one person has opted to put in any of them so far.

Of course, there is a chance that 100 lists seem fitting given that it is our centenary year. If you don't enjoy reminiscing over old memories of Southend then perhaps you should manually censor these from your sight.

J_S, to be honest we're probably not getting 100 as it is and this site does profess to being accomodating to rival fans so go for it.

Lincoln in the cup a few years back, 3-0 win.

Constantine came off the bench, and produced an amazing lob to seal the deal.

Wasn't that in the 4-0 win over Rochdale in Tilly's first gamein charge?

I'll go for Peter Daley against Col U at Layer Road, 16/4/1990. He was from Liverpool I think, a bit round and played hardly any games but in this match he picked up the ball somewhere near the halfway line (memory may be playing tricks here) and ran and ran with the ball seemingly unchallenged until he slotted it past the keeper in front of our fans. That defeat virtually sealed their relegation out of the league and helped gain us promotion at the end of the season

Freddy Eastwood vs Cheltenham Town (away).

Already 2-0 up courtesy of a Wayne Gray brace, Eastwood volleyed in the third from what looked like the edge of the box after some good work from Gray into the corner of the net leaving the keeper with no chance. Being at the opposite end of the ground, it was difficult to get any great level of perception on the goal but it defineatly looked a stunner from where I was stood. It was also the sixth game in succession in which Freddy had scored in - he went on the equal IIRC the record for consecutive games scored in with a goal in a 7th consecutive match against Rochdale.

Freddy Eastwood vs Cheltenham Town away
3-0 Southend
Saturday 19th March, 2005

Scott Houghtons 40 yard screamer in i think the 98/99 season against once again i think leyton orient anyone remember that?
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bluesmanager @ Aug. 31 2006,15:39)]You want to take over match report duties Spike?  
biggrin.gif
I have no idea what you meen Rob mate!!!

Have to say, some of your posts are truely aweful lol!

But it is indeed true, I know an awful lot more than you do...

Tommy Horsfall v York City
Friday 6th April 1973
His one and only goal for the Blues in his two year stay (11 starts and 5 as sub) but a real Boy’s Own wonder goal. Picked up the ball deep in his own half, ran the length of the pitch beating 5 or 6 players on the way (it seemed like more) before coolly slotting the ball home. We were 2-0 up thanks to goals from the cool centre half Brian Albeson and yet another from the amazing Billy Best and this sealed the 3-0 win.

[b said:
[b said:

blush.gif
I'd forgotten all about Darryl's guitar at that game. Almost as funny as the jumper he bought that was too tight even for his skinny little body. I might have a photo somewhere. If I can find it I will get it on here!!

John Nielsen's volley against Bolton is the best goal I've seen from a Southend player and Mike Marsh's against Ipswich is my favourite. But they've gone, as has Drewe's against Col******r.

So its a toss-up for me between Ronnie Whelan's debut free-kick against Bristol City and Paul Byrne's spectacular drive against Norwich. With an honourable mention for Tes's overhead kick against Luton too.

But I'm going to go for Byrne's goal, partly because it gets further and further out every time I think about it. It was almost from his own corner flag, wasn't it?

biggrin.gif

Paul Byrne, SUFC vs Norwich City
Division 1
2nd March 1996

Some Top goals already mentioned that I would have chosen. So i'll pick Tilly's v Grimsby Dec '90 a volley from right in front of the West Stand.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFC_Spike @ Aug. 31 2006,17:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bluesmanager @ Aug. 31 2006,15:39)]You want to take over match report duties Spike?  
biggrin.gif
I have no idea what you meen Rob mate!!!

Have to say, some of your posts are truely aweful lol!

But it is indeed true, I know an awful lot more than you do...
Mainly because you can remember the goals. The best I can do is the result and who scored.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Big Shrimp @ Aug. 31 2006,19:06)]
[b said:
[b said:

blush.gif
I'd forgotten all about Darryl's guitar at that game. Almost as funny as the jumper he bought that was too tight even for his skinny little body. I might have a photo somewhere. If I can find it I will get it on here!!
Top lad Darryl, a great source of entertainment...

Funniest i remember was when he got on a coach full of CS lads instead of our much more sedate minibus to Chesterfield for a cup tie a few years ago

He was white as a sheet when we rescued him
biggrin.gif

Back