• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
So, topic is quite simple. One goal each in a similar style to the other thread. It might be the quality of the goal or the significance. Perhaps it was just the randomness of the goal. Either way, put down the scorer, date, venue (H/A) and opposition as well as a justification of it. Obviously only one person is allowed to choose one goal...

Also, I would suggest that those with longer memories of Southend delve further back to give it a bit of variety.

I'm going to start with a reasonably obscure one to keep it open!

Leo Roget, 28th-Nov-00, Torquay (H)

I don't know why this is one of my favourite memories but as I only started going regularly in our second successive relegation season, I had been a little starved of success. We had earned a replay with a draw away at Torquay and the replay was tied after a tense ninety minutes.

In the 96th minute, we were awarded a free kick outside the box and committed men forwards from the back. As Roget was jogging forward, he had a remarkable moment of invention and took the free kick with the keeper completely out of position. Unfortunately his technique was not exactly Beckhamesque and the ball was heading well within the diving keeper's range until it deflected off of the wall and went in to the open side of the net.

The game was up for Torquay after that and what a cheeky way to seal it.

Now. Who's going to take Bury away first.... GO

- Owen Simpson, 25th-Sep-70, Northampton (H) (canveyshrimper)
- Peter Taylor, Feb-12th-72, Brentford (H) (Firestorm)
- Andy Polycarpou, 18th-Dec-78, Watford (H) (adam barratt is best)
- Dave Cusack, 9th-Jan-81, Darlington (A) (Soton Blue)
- Peter Johnson, 20th-Mar-87, Col******r (A) (Flashing Blade)
- Richard Cadette, 20th-Mar-87, Col******r (A) (SteveYatesSocks)
- Roy McDonough, 22nd-Sep-87, Derby C (H) (Napster)
- David Crown, 1st-Apr-88, Wigan (H) (BILLERICAY BLUE)
- David Crown, 25th-Feb-89, Gillingham (A) (BLUEBLOOD)
- Ian Benjamin, 4th-May-91, Bury (A) (weststander)
- Brett Angell, 9th-Nov-91, Swindon T (H) (Xabia Shrimper)
- Brett Angell, 26th-Dec-91, Oxford (A) The Big Shrimp)
- Stan Collymore, 13th-Mar-93, Oxford (A) (TonyTheKray)
- Brett Angell, 7th-Apr-93, West Ham (H) (*ORM*)
- Jonny Hunt, 6th-Apr_94, C Palace (H) (Matt the Shrimp)
- Mike Marsh, 20th-Apr-96, Ipswich (H) (gilbo)
- John Nielsen, 7th-Sep-96, Bolton W (H) (Jai)
- Leo Roget, 28th-Nov-00, Torquay (H) (sufcintheprem)
- Ben Abbey (both), 20th-Jan-01, Orient (A) (Uxbridge Shrimper)
- Rob Newman, 23rd-Mar-02, Scunthorpe (H) (Alexis_SUFC)
- Damon Searle, 22nd-Feb-03, Rushden & D (H) (tommytwoholes)
- Jay Smith, 19th-Nov-03, Canvey I (A) (TrueBlue)
- Drewe Broughton, 9th-Dec-03, Luton T (H) (jg90)
- Drewe Broughton, 17th-Feb-04, Col******r (H) (Matty the Shrimper)
- Freddy Eastwood (1 of 3), 16th-Oct-04, Swansea (H) (Marky_Gower)
- Mark Gower, 12th-Apr-04, Darlington (H) (blues_r_best)
- Mark Gower, 15th-Feb-05, Bristol R (A) (Shrimpbizkit)
- Alan McCormack, 19th-Apr-05, Macclesfield (A) (southendneil)
- Duncan Jupp, 28-May-05, Lincoln (N) (ldnfatso)
- Mitchell Cole, 29th-Aug-05, Col******r (H) (Dave the Shrimper)
- Freddy Eastwood (3 of 3), 29th-Oct-05, Bristol C (A) (EastStandBlue)
- Freddy Eastwood, 17th-Apr-06, Barnsley (A) (fredheim_holm)
- Freddy Eastwood, 29th-Apr-06, Swansea (A) (maldonblue)
- Wayne Gray, 6th-May-06, Bristol C (H) (smith southend shrimper)

(to Aug 31st 11:39)

(All dates courtesy of www.sufcdb.co.uk)

I am going to go for damon searle against rushden . Damon is a player of quite limited skill , but yet he has looked up with nothing on and rifled the ball from all of 40 yards into the top corner. Came out of nothing and had me off my seat . There has been plenty more but because he never did anything remotely similar he gets my vote.

David Crown

Home against Wigan Athletic

1/4/88.

Picked up the ball on the half way line just in front of the dug-outs, weaved past a couple of players and belted it into the top left-hand corner of the North Bank net from about 35 yards, to seal a come from behind 3-2 win and to start my suppport of The Shrimpers.  Thanks Crowny  
smile.gif

Mark Gower vs Bristol Rovers away in LDV 2005

Had hardly done anything in the game, then picked up the ball on the left wing, all the shrimpers fans willing him to have a crack then he skipped past a challenge or 2 and BANG, flew into the top corner. Cue ecstatic scenes on the away terrace as the players came over to celebrate a truly breathtaking strike. Worth the freezing cold and long coach journey.

Either of Stan's brace against Bristol Rovers along with Otto's brilliant volley from the touchline at Barnsley.

Anyone remember Donut's overhead kick against Blackpool also in 1988? I'm sure ORM does......

biggrin.gif

Peter Johnson v Col******r 1987 won 2-1.

Remember it for being my first ever away game, Friday night, and couldn't believe that Col******r could get a safety certificate for their ramshackle stadium (and it's hardly changed since then!!!!!).

1-1 when Johnno picked the ball up from his left back position from which he never ever moved or advanced from (usually) dribbled the ball all the way across the field to the right hand side then cut back inside and, with a lack of options and getting fed up with being on the ball for so long, drilled it into the top corner from what seems like 40 yards from memory, but was probably nearer 25 in truth.
Just remember going mental and felt like an adult for the first time (at 13!) when one of Southend's known thugs (who went to my school) hugged me.
I also remember North Essex police bringing dogs on to control us.

Freddy Eastwood... Vs. Bristol City at Ashton Gate Last Season.

Already on 2 Goals to put us 2-0 Up against a much fancied Bristol City, Rejuvenated under Gary Johnson, Freddy seals the 3 points with a fantastic goal. Freddy picks the ball up about 40 yards from the Goal and dribbles it in till hes within 25 yards... Catches the ball beautifully and rocks a curving shot straight into the Top left hand corner with his Right Foot...
Always Going away from the Keeper, Always going into the Roof of the Net.

Looked almost Orgasmic when you were standing directly behind it...

Happy Birthday Dear Freddy, Happy Birthday To You
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flashing Blade @ Aug. 30 2006,14:59)]Peter Johnson v Col******r 1987 won 2-1.

Remember it for being my first ever away game, Friday night, and couldn't believe that Col******r could get a safety certificate for their ramshackle stadium (and it's hardly changed since then!!!!!).

1-1 when Johnno picked the ball up from his left back position from which he never ever moved or advanced from (usually) dribbled the ball all the way across the field to the right hand side then cut back inside and, with a lack of options and getting fed up with being on the ball for so long, drilled it into the top corner from what seems like 40 yards from memory, but was probably nearer 25 in truth.
Just remember going mental and felt like an adult for the first time (at 13!) when one of Southend's known thugs (who went to my school) hugged me.
I also remember North Essex police bringing dogs on to control us.
20th March 1987 ... and it snowed!

John Nielsen, Danish midfielder who played for the club for a season or so when we were on our way out of Division One.

We were at home to league leaders Bolton, and we had started the season very badly. I think the score was 1-1 when a shot was blocked and looped up towards Nielsen, around 35 yards out to the left of the goal, without letting the ball bounce he met it with the top of his left boot with fantastic technique and it flew across the goalkeeper and into the top corner. Still the best goal I've ever seen (it was similar to Searle's, but I was away at university for that
sad.gif
)

Mark Gower's winner against Darlinton in the 3-2 game, two nil down at half time and to come back was something special, and the goal itself was quality, a hard hit shot from a tight angle straight into the top corner stanchion of the opposite side of the goal.

Still can't believe we won that and that I was there to see it.

For Phil's benefit it was on the 12-04-2004

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Aug. 30 2006,14:59)]This is going to be a bit tricky if people don't give the dates
No it's not - just link up to the SUFC Database - all the details will be there. Database

Oh dear Angell - I can't remember Donut scoring that goal against Blackpool. Must have been a rare non-appearance for me.

How do you pick a favourite goal from 33 years of watching ?

I think I'll have to opt for Brett Angell against the Hammers 7th April 1993, set up nicely by Stanley in front of 12,813 fans (and I seem to remember there was still plenty of room). Unfortunately it didn't prevent them from being promoted. I'll never forget jumping up and down like a maniac in the North Bank (west side) looking behind me seeing 50 or so Spammers with long looks on their faces.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flashing Blade @ Aug. 30 2006,15:06)]... and I think Wayne's winner was in May 2006
biggrin.gif
Cheers.

suspect.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm fine with the ones from the last couple of years but when people start throwing older ones at me then it's going to take a lot longer!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No it's not - just link up to the SUFC Database

What have I signed up for......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BILLERICAY BLUE @ Aug. 30 2006,14:50)]David Crown

Home against Wigan Athletic

1/4/88.

Picked up the ball on the half way line just in front of the dug-outs, weaved past a couple of players and belted it into the top left-hand corner of the North Bank net from about 35 yards, to seal a come from behind 3-2 win and to start my suppport of The Shrimpers.  Thanks Crowny  
smile.gif
I cannot believe I spent 20 mins working out from a list of 10 my fav goal only for you to beat me too it.....

Not playing now.....
down.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blues_r_best @ Aug. 30 2006,15:14)]Mark Gower's winner against Darlinton in the 3-2 game, two nil down at half time and to come back was something special, and the goal itself was quality, a hard hit shot from a tight angle straight into the top corner stanchion of the opposite side of the goal.

Still can't believe we won that and that I was there to see it.

For Phil's benefit it was on the 12-04-2004
All I remember from this goal is Leeboy running down to the front of West Stand V Block and jumping up and down with all the 8 year olds.
laugh.gif

Was at the Rushden game when Damon Searle scored his screamer - would have to agree one of the best goals I have seen at the hall. Remember they were top at the time, we won 2 - 1 with Mark Rawle netting the winner. Good game in an otherwise forgettable season.

Back