• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

1000th Home Match Commemorative Cover

blake

Youth Team
I'm attaching a copy of a Commemorative Cover and of the Information Card that was in the envelope when posted to me in 1972, over 50 years ago. I wouldn't imagine that its worth a lot but I'm willing to pass for the highest bid received by the full time whistle at Hartlepool tomorrow. All proceeds to Shrimperzone

Attachments

• SUFC Cover2.pdf
    589.5 KB · Views: 235
There were no bids by the close. I guess the cover can go back into the draw from whence it came.

Thanks @blake and as @Strykr says one day we may well have an appropriate process for displaying stuff like this so please keep hold! I was at Exeter yesterday learning from what they do and we are now at the very start of our 'preserving history' journey to work with our new owners - lots of news on that to follow as we go ............

Thank you Strykr and Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset. In view of what you both say I'll hold on to the Cover. If the Club or the Trust is assembling stuff for display as you suggest, then I would be happy to let them have the Cover now to add to their collection.

Incidentally in the same drawer where the Cover lived I found an old photo of the SUFC Team 1919-1920. I wouldn't imagine that this is a rarity but there may be someone who hasn't seen it before. I am attaching a copy for those who haven't

Attachments

• SUFC 1919-20.pdf
    223.2 KB · Views: 54
Trust us to celebrate such an auspicious occasion with a 0-0 draw. Even Billy Best didn't score !

Could have been worse; the 2,000th (excluding playoffs), if my hasty calculation is correct, was the 1-0 defeat by Oldham in the middle of a 5 defeat run at the end of the 2015/6 season where we went from promotion chasers to mid-table.

I'm attaching a copy of a Commemorative Cover and of the Information Card that was in the envelope when posted to me in 1972, over 50 years ago. I wouldn't imagine that its worth a lot but I'm willing to pass for the highest bid received by the full time whistle at Hartlepool tomorrow. All proceeds to Shrimperzone
Is it still for sale? thanks

No Cerbera45, its not now for sale. Strykr and Suffolk Shrimper in Dorset both suggested that it can go on display at Roots Hall with other similar stuff and I am happy with that. idea. Thanks for your interest.

Trust us to celebrate such an auspicious occasion with a 0-0 draw. Even Billy Best didn't score !
At the end of the previous season of 1971-72 BILLY BEST had made 203 appearances for the club and scored an amazing 111 goals in league and cup matches. Then in the 1972-73 in what turned out be Billy's final season at the club Arthur Rowley in his ultimate wisdom had decided he wanted Billy to play in a more withdrawn role just behind the front three of Terry Johnson, Gary Moore and Bill Garner (sold to Chelsea) who was then finally replaced by Chris Guthrie in the November with his debut being our the above 1,000th. home match in the football league in the 0-0 draw against Bristol Rovers..
Certainly seemed quite a bizarre thing for the manager to try after Billy had been such a brilliant scorer of goals for the club as Billy himself once told me..

No Cerbera45, its not now for sale. Strykr and Suffolk Shrimper in Dorset both suggested that it can go on display at Roots Hall with other similar stuff and I am happy with that. idea. Thanks for your interest.
The reason I ask is that I'm looking for a special gift for my Dad - he's 80 in June and his first Blues match was in 1953

I'm not sure that it will be suitable as a birthday present for your father as my name and address are written on the envelope. I blocked them out on the copy. However I don't like going back on my word. If you get the Cover for your father do you think that he'll put it on display if and when an exhibition is set up?

Back