• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Irate Ian

Members
Here is a follow up message sent to Christina Ongley, News Editor of Evening Echo Re: posting "A Seat for Life" - refer to thread last week & Questions raised last week.

Ms Ongley, has confirmed having now appointed a reporter to look into the
issue and to seek comment from the club management [who have been unprepared yet to respond to the direct questions rasied at the clubs official website circa 3 weeks ago]

"Further to my forwarded message herewith, it has been brought to my attention across the Shrimperzone website, that the clubs recent prospectus for the sale of shares carries some minor [but non clarified] reference to the subject.

My understanding is that conditional upon supporters first [1] buying shares, they will be granted options to the "buy" [2] "seat for life" and [3] season card/ticket to enable one to access the seat one "owns".

This seems to represent a triple whammy [/U][/B] and one which supporters like myself would like Mr Martin to comment upon and provide fuller information. As is often the case, the devil may be in the detail.

Effectively 3 x charges might arise, where one would suffice.

Every-ones budget could and should be catered for: 1/2/3/4/5 10, 15, 20, 25 year [a] life or perpetual season tickets/cards would surely be a simpler and more cost effective solution to the buyer ?

The advance revenues would surely make financial sense all round, particularly if the price were "fixed" at the outset of purchase - as with ones mortgage.

My concern is that ordinary supporters may be priced out under the existing proposals, by the perceived pre-condition to 1st purchase shares; the secondary cost of "leasing of a particular seat for life", and thirdly to then buy a season ticket/card to enable one to access the ground to sit one's posterior on the seat "owned".

If it were an all-inclusive arrangement [as with ones holidays] many might be encouraged to take a loan to fund their advance season cards, as any interest incurred would be off-set against protection against entrance price increases over the period. By also repaying singular loans quicker, would potentially give one a "free" period of watching football once the loan had be repaid.

The capital injection from 4 - 8,000 potential supporters to SUFC could be enormous, if pitched at an temptingly attractive price range. For example at say an average of say £1,000 x 8,000 = £8 million - that is a lot of money in any ones language.

Some might only pay 1 year, other 3 or more and I would think the average £1K may be on the low side, so the sky is the limit, if supporters can be given the time to get their finances into order to generate the funds in advance"

Mr Martin is invited to clarify the fine detail of his proposals.

12345 etc

If you don't buy the evening echo, you heard it on Shrimperzone 1st.

I admire your fortitude on this subject, but it's a little heavy for me at this time of day on a Sunday.

Here is a follow up message sent to Christina Ongley, News Editor of Evening Echo Re: posting "A Seat for Life" - refer to thread last week & Questions raised last week.

Ms Ongley, has confirmed having now appointed a reporter to look into the
issue and to seek comment from the club management [who have been unprepared yet to respond to the direct questions rasied at the clubs official website circa 3 weeks ago]

"Further to my forwarded message herewith, it has been brought to my attention across the Shrimperzone website, that the clubs recent prospectus for the sale of shares carries some minor [but non clarified] reference to the subject.

My understanding is that conditional upon supporters first [1] buying shares, they will be granted options to the "buy" [2] "seat for life" and [3] season card/ticket to enable one to access the seat one "owns".

This seems to represent a triple whammy [/U][/B] and one which supporters like myself would like Mr Martin to comment upon and provide fuller information. As is often the case, the devil may be in the detail.

Effectively 3 x charges might arise, where one would suffice.

Every-ones budget could and should be catered for: 1/2/3/4/5 10, 15, 20, 25 year [a] life or perpetual season tickets/cards would surely be a simpler and more cost effective solution to the buyer ?

The advance revenues would surely make financial sense all round, particularly if the price were "fixed" at the outset of purchase - as with ones mortgage.

My concern is that ordinary supporters may be priced out under the existing proposals, by the perceived pre-condition to 1st purchase shares; the secondary cost of "leasing of a particular seat for life", and thirdly to then buy a season ticket/card to enable one to access the ground to sit one's posterior on the seat "owned".

If it were an all-inclusive arrangement [as with ones holidays] many might be encouraged to take a loan to fund their advance season cards, as any interest incurred would be off-set against protection against entrance price increases over the period. By also repaying singular loans quicker, would potentially give one a "free" period of watching football once the loan had be repaid.

The capital injection from 4 - 8,000 potential supporters to SUFC could be enormous, if pitched at an temptingly attractive price range. For example at say an average of say £1,000 x 8,000 = £8 million - that is a lot of money in any ones language.

Some might only pay 1 year, other 3 or more and I would think the average £1K may be on the low side, so the sky is the limit, if supporters can be given the time to get their finances into order to generate the funds in advance"

Mr Martin is invited to clarify the fine detail of his proposals.

allready got my shares from 30odd years ago , 1 mortgage all my working lifeis enough for me. my finances will never be in order so no deal.

I admire your fortitude on this subject, but it's a little heavy for me at this time of day on a Sunday.

The secret to being able to cope with all lifes problems is to get up earlier than anyone else and get your brain into gear !!!

The secret to being able to cope with all lifes problems is to get up earlier than anyone else and get your brain into gear !!!

If you look at some of my posts this morning, I was up around 4 o'clock! I ain't getting up earlier than that I can assure you!

Triple Whammy

I would like to think the perceived triple whammy will be confirmed by Mr Martin to not be on his agenda.

But the club/his silence remains deafenning on the subject, which does not assist to dispel concerns that this may well be what is planned.

A quick retort would have been expected had it not been the case.

It is the lack of formal statement from the club, that is of primary concern.

What are you on about! I'm sure there will still be normal season tickets available. For an 'extra' charge people will be able to reserve seats for life or a set period. Where's the problem?

I dont see a problem, its a debenuture system by the sounds of it. It gives you the right to buy a season ticket for a certain seat for a certain period of time, Wembley, Twickenham, Wimbledon and some of the bigger premier league clubs do it. Its usually when there is going to be a high demand for the seats that it is done, however, anyone can do it. If you dont want to do it you dont have to, you'll still be able to buy your season ticket , you'll still be able to but your match ticket, it sounds like its a perk of being a Shareholder, i dont see anything sinister in it at all.

Who suggested anything sinister ?

[1] you are invited to buy shares - they could have passed the tin round at Roots Hall if they wanted donations. Everyone knows football club shares are not a sound investment.

[2] you may be invited to rent the seat and make a further donation

[3] you make a third whammy payment to access the ground [season card]

Why not simply have a one off payment instead of 3, by allowing purchase of season cards for one or more years, up to life ?

If you want to pay three times for the same product, then fine by me.

[1] you are invited to buy shares - they could have passed the tin round at Roots Hall if they wanted donations. Everyone knows football club shares are not a sound investment.

[2] you may be invited to rent the seat and make a further donation

[3] you make a third whammy payment to access the ground [season card]

Why not simply have a one off payment instead of 3, by allowing purchase of season cards for one or more years, up to life ?

If you want to pay three times for the same product, then fine by me.

I really dont see the problem.

If you dont want to pay for 3 things then dont.

Theres lots of options and its hardly lilkely all the seats are going to be sold.

If you want to buy shares to have a stake in your club and a season ticket then do so.

Im just buying a season ticket and thats it.

Your dismissive reply

How are the football club going to get anywhere near the capacity of the proposed new ground ?

How do you think we are going to add 200% to our normal/average gate ?

How would you sell to and retain the interest of a whole generation of new supporters ?

What do you think the atmosphere may be like in a ground that is say 1/3rd full ?

Will we ever become a non-selling club of our best talent without increasing the

Mutiple other questions arise, but suggest you might read the thread "A seat for life" + "12345" etc to first gain a greater understanding.

How are the football club going to get anywhere near the capacity of the proposed new ground ?

How would you sell to and retain the interest of a whole generation of new supporters ?

What do you think the atmosphere may be like in a ground that is say 1/3rd full ?

Will we ever become a non-selling club of our best talent without increasing the

Mutiple other questions arise, but suggest you might read the thread "A seat for life" + "12345" etc to first gain a greater understanding.

Probably won't get many capacity crowds at the new ground. Although there have been a few crowds over the past few seasons that would have been close, games against Yeovil, Bristol City, Man United, Leeds, Norwich, Ipswich would all have been very big crowds.

I don't think we will add another 200% to our current support not in League 1 thats for sure. Probably only another 2,000 max (based on our current position & form).

The retention of supporters has been pretty good over the past few years, more kids going etc lets hope most carry on supporting Southend for life.

The atmosphere at the new ground will I'm sure be better than at Roots Hall even if only a third full. More singers grouped together will help.

I doubt we will ever become a non-selling club.

Will the new ground ever get built? Not long to wait now.

Lets just take a step back here and think about the recent past.......

Firstly points 1 and 2,

In 2002/3 only 5 years ago we had an average crowd over the season of 3951 !
Last season we had an average of 10065. Correct me if i'm wrong but that is a 254% increase isnt it.

I know that we were in the Championship last season but if someone had said to me in 2003 that in 5 years time we'd have an average crowd of 10000+ i'd have them committed ! Even if i'd have known we'd be in the Championship because the first time we were in that division we only averaged around 6000ish.

To me the current regime has done a fantastic job of increasing the clubs profile and customer service and lets be honest a lot of the credit has to go to Ron.

Lets think about 5 years time, we should be in a brand new stadium, we could be in the upper reaches of the Championship, its FACT that crowds normally increase by around 20% in a brand new stadium, coupled with the fact that the likes of Ipswich, Norwich, Leeds etc would not be limited to 2000 tickets then i believe that we could be looking at average crowds of 14/15,000 which means that the ground will be 2/3rds full and not 2/3rds empty.

Point 3, even if the ground was only 1/3rd full it would probably sound much better than it currently does at the Hall because the accoustics would be much better. (i hope)

Point 4,

We will always be a selling club, and lets be honest here there are only 4 clubs in this country that arent selling clubs Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal & Liverpool. So we have to make the best of it and it is unfortunately a fact of life.

Now Irate Ian, i dont know you from Adam and i dont know how long you have supported the club but you seem to be a very negative person. Look at things this way, you have a choice ! You can either spend your money at the club or you can spend it elsewhere. Nobody is forcing you to buy shares, noone is forcing you to buy a season ticket and nobody is forcing you to spend money in the club shop.

I have purchased some shares in the club, and i am fully aware that my £120 will never ever be realised, its just like me spending £120 in the club shop,and only getting a piece of 'worthless' paper in the form of a share certificate. Still when it is framed on the wall at home it'll be a talking point for visitors.

They may allow you to. As I understand it the shares will give you somekind of priority in choosing your seat - I'm not not sure that non shareholders will be excluded from any debenture type scheme. For many fans it may suit to have multiple payments at different stages e.g., a payment upfront to become some kind of member and then an annual payment to gain access to the seat, rather than a large upfront payment.

Back