• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

18.02.2023 - last home game??

I’m all for protests but only if they’ll actually achieve anything. Surely by leaving a big protest until like 10 days before the debt needs to be cleared is far too late to make any difference?

I agree that filling Roots Hall for our last ever game would be fitting. But I suppose it’s the lack of clarity over whether it will be that will affect whether that happens.

That’s what I don’t understand about this whole situation. If we were really on our deathbed with no way out then you’d think the Club would have been desperately appealing for anyone to help. £1.5 million is a lot of money. But it’s not totally insurmountable. For instance that’s asking 1500 people to donate a grand to keep a club going that is a huge part of their lives. Given in League One we were regularly pulling in 7k crowds that doesn’t sound completely out of the question. Obviously some people would have deeper pockets than others but you take the point.

But none of this has happened and I just wonder if it’s because there is actually a plan in place.

Also there’s been no fire sale of the squad or coaching staff. Collymore and Tom Lawrence are still in place. Maybe it’s hope more than expectation but if we do end up going under next month without even trying to raise the funds ourselves that would probably be the most heartbreaking part of it all for me.
This is pretty much exactly what I said a few weeks back and is what has kept me from going mad.

I remember - as many do - the dark days of the mid 1980's when we were half an hour from going under. Even more will remember the days when Paul Sturrock created a squad out of nothing when we had 4 registered players, and one of them wasn't wanted.

This time it's different. There is a togetherness at the club on the playing side, there is a proper management structure that is still intact, we have a CEO in place so it isn't all on RM's shoulders... so many strides and improvements have been made over the last year.

Yes, it's been **** but it's getting better. The training ground is nearly finished. Fossets Farm is not far away. Tom Lawrence said earlier in the season it would be very, very difficult to get through to February (I can't recall the exact phrase or date but I'm sure someone on here will) and he wasn't wrong!

People know there's trouble and they are still here.

This is not the behaviour and vibe associated with a club about to go under. It's hugely different.

And to me, that indicates it will be ok in the end. And as they say in that film "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"... "It'll be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, then it's not the end."

But hey, what the hell do I know? What do any of us know? And those that do know can't share for confidentiality reasons.

This is why I just have to trust the process, trust the management team and trust my own instincts.

This is pretty much exactly what I said a few weeks back and is what has kept me from going mad.

I remember - as many do - the dark days of the mid 1980's when we were half an hour from going under. Even more will remember the days when Paul Sturrock created a squad out of nothing when we had 4 registered players, and one of them wasn't wanted.

This time it's different. There is a togetherness at the club on the playing side, there is a proper management structure that is still intact, we have a CEO in place so it isn't all on RM's shoulders... so many strides and improvements have been made over the last year.

Yes, it's been **** but it's getting better. The training ground is nearly finished. Fossets Farm is not far away. Tom Lawrence said earlier in the season it would be very, very difficult to get through to February (I can't recall the exact phrase or date but I'm sure someone on here will) and he wasn't wrong!

People know there's trouble and they are still here.

This is not the behaviour and vibe associated with a club about to go under. It's hugely different.

And to me, that indicates it will be ok in the end. And as they say in that film "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"... "It'll be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, then it's not the end."

But hey, what the hell do I know? What do any of us know? And those that do know can't share for confidentiality reasons.

This is why I just have to trust the process, trust the management team and trust my own instincts.
Careful, you’ll get shot down for not doing enough to save the club!!

Don't worry. In Ron we trust. He's just got the money he just finds it funny winding everyone up over it. He's got a few hundred million in an offshore account. He just forgot the login details. He's also got a few hundred bitcoins but he's forgotten what hard drive they're on.
Some bloke in a pub told me this after a 10 our drinking session. No reason not to trust them.
I'm all up for filling the ground though. I can see many put off but would be great to see it rocking. Hope people follow your thoughts Jon. 👍

Will be over in March. Already got my tickets for a couple of away games. Am concerned about the state of my club. Not a good look, will make going forward difficult.

However, very confident that this will not be the end.

Back