• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
I'm in contact with a Russian supporter of Zenit Saint Petersburg (formerly Zenit Lennigrad). We played Zenit in 1972-73 in a friendly at Roots Hall ending 1-1. He has the programme for this but I wonder if in the following programmes there would have had any photos? Has anyone got the programmes for;

10th Nov 1972 Southend v Walsall
18th Nov 1972 Southend v Aldershot (FAC)

If so could you look to see if there are photos of the Zenit match

Also prior to the game we played

21st Oct 1972 Southend v Brentford

Was their any mention of the Zenit game in this?

im sure ive got all 3 progs Peter,will pop up in the loft tomorrow and have a "butchers"

Hi Peter,
although i was at all 3 games,i have only the prog from the Walsall game(10.11.) and nothing,no pics in there,

Hi Peter,
although i was at all 3 games,i have only the prog from the Walsall game(10.11.) and nothing,no pics in there,

Thanks Oz I'm not surprised it was Tuesday to Friday in those days that was a tight schedule, perhaps something in the Aldershot programme 8 days later, but then again probably not

Check with Beaver, Pete, he's got all the Trust programmes logged for that era - it's the more recent ones that haven't been done!

I blame The Blue Voice and TrueBlue

Haha!!! All a twinkle in the eye as you were!
:smile:

Was there any trouble?

The Southend v Aldershot game was stopped for a couple of minutes when some Aldershot supporters walked across the pitch during the game , because they were being chased by some Southend boys .

Check with Beaver, Pete, he's got all the Trust programmes logged for that era - it's the more recent ones that haven't been done!

I have checked our database, we have the Walsall one which has already been checked but not the Aldershot FAC Programme.
We do have the Brentford one but I won't be able to check it until next Monday.

I have checked our database, we have the Walsall one which has already been checked but not the Aldershot FAC Programme.
We do have the Brentford one but I won't be able to check it until next Monday.

Many thanks I don't think there will be any pictures but thought it worth checking. My next task is to go Southend Library and get him a match report.

Many thanks to all for your help.

Many thanks I don't think there will be any pictures but thought it worth checking. My next task is to go Southend Library and get him a match report.

Many thanks to all for your help.

Do they hold all old Evening Echo's at Southend Library?

Do they hold all old Evening Echo's at Southend Library?

I'm sure they do. They have all the Southend Standards back to the late 1800s when it started (I have personally researched them all from 1919 to 1955) They also have the Southend Pictorials all on Microfilm (when I was in my early 20s in the old library they had them in hard copy but after they were microfilmed I believe the hard copies were thrown away).

I've seen others looking at the Echo's on microfilm, I would be surprised if they did not have them all.

This isn't football related, but it is about Russia so thought the following might be of interest, and should be another reason to be proud to be a Southender.

STALINGRAD HOSPITAL DECISION
It was decided at a meeting of the Southend Anglo-soviet and China committee to raise the money still needed to complete a Southend ward in the Stalingrad Hospital, about £250 out of the proceeds of the Russia Flag day early in August. Proposed Aid to China Week Although warned that an Aid-to-China week would be a big job but it was said that China had been against the common enemy longer than we had and that we should do everything possible for her, especially as so much had been done for Russia.
From the Southend Standard 9thMarch 1944

CHINA MUST HAVE £1,000
During the summer months the Southend Anglo-Soviet and China Committee will try and raise £1,000 for China. This decision was made at a meeting on Friday. It was stated that they had raised £4,000 for Russia but less than £100 for China, Stalingrad Hospital – About £300 was required to complete the £1,500 needed for a Southend ward of the Stalingrad Hospital and it was expected to raise this sum from a flag day in August.
From the Southend Standard 20th April 1944

SOUTHEND WARD IN STALINGRAD HOSPITAL
Payment Now Completed – One of the finest buildings in the world after the war will be the hospital erected at Stalingrad as that immortal city emerges from the chaos of a historic battlefield. In the entrance hall of that hospital there will be an album created by the foremost artists and craftsmen available, and one page of that album will depict the coat-of-arms of Southend and printed in English and Russian this inscription. “the people of Southend gave this ward as a tribute to the service and sacrifice of the people of Stalingrad in their struggle for world freedom”.
From the Southend Standard 28th September 1944

Do like that,i do hope that ward..hospital wing is still there or in a new hospital still remembered

No photos sadly, but a full page report on the match in Keith Roe's excellent book "The Southend United Chronicles 1906-2006 - A Century of Local Press Reports". Pages 312-313 if you are interested. PM me if you are interested as I could photo-copy the relevant pages for you.

No photos sadly, but a full page report on the match in Keith Roe's excellent book "The Southend United Chronicles 1906-2006 - A Century of Local Press Reports". Pages 312-313 if you are interested. PM me if you are interested as I could photo-copy the relevant pages for you.

Many thanks Stuart, Nobbler just phoned me to tell me the same thing and I have the book upstairs, so many thanks but I don't need copies. He also tells me that in the Echo there were three photos as well. so its off to the library for me when I get a chance.

The Southend Anglo-soviet society lives on :winking:

Back