• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

....Other than in 81 we won the championship.

I may be tempting fate, counting my chickens etc. I wasnt watching Southend in 81, took me another three years before my first trip to Roots Hall. For those that were I was wondering how does this season compare? Crowds, players winning sequences etc.

At home we were invincible letting in only 6 goals all season.
We went for almost 1000 minutes (nearly 11 games) without conceding at one stage

We lost 9 away from home which prevented us from Romping away with the league....

The defence of Cawston, Stead , Yates, Moody and Cusack is the best I have seen in 38 years of support.

I was 11 years old for a start, never went to an away match, watched every home game standing up, was in the West Stand and was not allowed to drink in the Spread before a match.

So i would say it is completely different. And i much prefer this season then 80/81.

biggrin.gif

BC, you surprise me. If asked I would have said you would have been at least 20 in 81 and therefore could have been served in the pub now worries.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ April 22 2005,13:25)]Ok then, would any of todays players get into that team? Barrett, Bentley, Freddy?
Freddy could have done it in most teams down the years but in 80/81 we had Spence and Mercer up front. Spence was a Northern Ireland International and prolific and Mercer made a formidable duo. In the midfield we had the likes of Poutney who was the 'dogs'. Garry Nelson was more than just a promising addition and in Hadley we had Mr. Utility personified. One thing similar to this season is the feel of the teams togetherness and how it promoted the feel good factor to the fans.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ April 22 2005,13:25)]Ok then, would any of todays players get into that team? Barrett, Bentley, Freddy?
Barratt could be on the fringes of the team, But Cusack and moody were colossal

Bentley would not get a sniff.
Anton and Super Ron was superb in the middle of the park

Eastwood probably would have got in. I would think at the expense of Keith Mercer

IIRC this was the last season (before Tes and Monserrat) that a current Southend Player was capped (or did Ronnie Whelan get selected in his breif time with us) Derek Spence being the international

I seem to recall that it was our home form that carried us through that year.  We were awesome at the Hall, dropping our first points on 23/1/81 against Northampton in a 0-0 draw having won the first 15 home league games.  Our final home record was:

P 24 W19 D4 L0 F47 A6

Crowd wise we were only getting 5500 - 6000 right up until 3 home games left, which was against Lincoln, who finished as runners up.  That game saw 11195 at the Hall (bear in mind it was the last season of 2 points for a win and it was terracing at the Hall with the only seats being in the East).  The last 2 games against Bournemouth and Rochdale attracted 7372 and 10668 respectively.  Quite disappointing actually.  There seems to be far more passion and euphoria now.

We clinched the title against Rochdale.  Us and Lincoln were far and away the best 2 teams in the division and they took 3 points off us as well.

There wasn't the uncertainty then that surrounds us now because we actually clinched promotion in early April as we were so far ahead.  The only question was whether or not we won the title.

The closest I can ever remember to this season was in 1989/90 when with 4 to go we sat in an automatic promotion place (3rd) and then lost 2 games on the trot to Grimsby at home (who were 2nd) and then to the eventual champions Exeter away.  This knocked us down to 4th (there was only 3 up then so that was the playoffs) with Maidstone in 3rd (better goal difference).  We then beat Halifax 2-0 on a Friday night, puting us 3 points clear of Maidstone but they had York (mid table and nothing to play for) to play away on the Saturday.  Any win would have put them in 3rd but they could only draw 0-0 and so that left us in the position of having to win at Peterborough on the last day to go up.  David Crown scored 2 early goals to settle the nerves and then we had to survive a 2nd half onslaught as Worrall Sterling got one back for them.  They had to win to have a chance of getting in the play offs.  However we held on (what a day that was) and went up in 3rd.  If Posh had got an equaliser Maidstone would have gone up as they thumped Carlisle 5-2 and their goal difference would have edged it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ April 22 2005,13:37)] That game saw 11195 at the Hall (bear in mind it was the last season of 2 points for a win and it was terracing at the Hall with the only seats being in the East).  
Friday nights were made for Standing on the North Bank.

Then a quick dash to Prittlewell, dive on the train to Billericay, and a cab just in time for a few quick beers in the Kings Head.

Happy days

Of course now its all seats at RH, no public bar at the Kings Head and I am in no fit state to quick dash anywhere
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ April 22 2005,13:33)]IIRC this was the last season (before Tes and Monserrat) that a current Southend Player was capped (or did Ronnie Whelan get selected in his breif time with us) Derek Spence being the international
Whelan got capped in a 0-0 draw away from home against someone like Lietchenstein whilst still at Southend. Can't remember who exactly it was, but it was one of the Rep of Ireland's worse international results in the last 15 yeards.

I was young lad then and went to the last few games with my brothers... funny I thought the Crowds where alot larger than that ??

Rochdale at home Im sure we had 13,500 plus ??

One Team In Essex
SUFC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ April 22 2005,13:33)]
[b said:
Barratt could be on the fringes of the team, But Cusack and moody were colossal

Bentley would not get a sniff.
Anton and Super Ron was superb in the middle of the park

Eastwood probably would have got in. I would think at the expense of Keith Mercer

IIRC this was the last season (before Tes and Monserrat) that a current Southend Player was capped (or did Ronnie Whelan get selected in his breif time with us) Derek Spence being the international
Don't forget Mike Lapper.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ April 22 2005,13:37)]I seem to recall that it was our home form that carried us through that year.  We were awesome at the Hall, dropping our first points on 23/1/81 against Northampton in a 0-0 draw having won the first 15 home league games.  Our final home record was:

P 24 W19 D4 L0 F47 A6

Crowd wise we were only getting 5500 - 6000 right up until 3 home games left, which was against Lincoln, who finished as runners up.  That game saw 11195 at the Hall (bear in mind it was the last season of 2 points for a win and it was terracing at the Hall with the only seats being in the East).  The last 2 games against Bournemouth and Rochdale attracted 7372 and 10668 respectively.  Quite disappointing actually.  There seems to be far more passion and euphoria now.

We clinched the title against Rochdale.  Us and Lincoln were far and away the best 2 teams in the division and they took 3 points off us as well.

There wasn't the uncertainty then that surrounds us now because we actually clinched promotion in early April as we were so far ahead.  The only question was whether or not we won the title.

The closest I can ever remember to this season was in 1989/90 when with 4 to go we sat in an automatic promotion place (3rd) and then lost 2 games on the trot to Grimsby at home (who were 2nd) and then to the eventual champions Exeter away.  This knocked us down to 4th (there was only 3 up then so that was the playoffs) with Maidstone in 3rd (better goal difference).  We then beat Halifax 2-0 on a Friday night, puting us 3 points clear of Maidstone but they had York (mid table and nothing to play for) to play away on the Saturday.  Any win would have put them in 3rd but they could only draw 0-0 and so that left us in the position of having to win at Peterborough on the last day to go up.  David Crown scored 2 early goals to settle the nerves and then we had to survive a 2nd half onslaught as Worrall Sterling got one back for them.  They had to win to have a chance of getting in the play offs.  However we held on (what a day that was) and went up in 3rd.  If Posh had got an equaliser Maidstone would have gone up as they thumped Carlisle 5-2 and their goal difference would have edged it.
Make that played 23
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ April 22 2005,13:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ April 22 2005,13:37)]I seem to recall that it was our home form that carried us through that year.  We were awesome at the Hall, dropping our first points on 23/1/81 against Northampton in a 0-0 draw having won the first 15 home league games.  Our final home record was:

P 24 W19 D4 L0 F47 A6

Make that played 23  
biggrin.gif
Yup. DOH!

Incidentally, the crowd figures were as published on Robin Michels database. I was unfortunately involved with work committments for the Rochdale game and missed us clinching the only Silverware we have ever won. I think it was the only game I missed that season.

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ April 22 2005,13:37)]We then beat Halifax 2-0 on a Friday night, puting us 3 points clear of Maidstone but they had York (mid table and nothing to play for) to play away on the Saturday.  Any win would have put them in 3rd but they could only draw 0-0 and so that left us in the position of having to win at Peterborough on the last day to go up.
Ah, brings back memories. Was at York University then so of course went along and stood in the home end. We'd beaten Halifax on the Friday night so needed Maidstone to slip up for a win on the last day at Peterborough to guarantee promotion.

Awful game, with Butler of Maidstone missing an open goal in the final minute. At the final whistle my celebrations were mental whilst the home fans booed York off and the Maidstone fans trudged out dejected. I got some very strange looks!

Had a similar experience near the end of the following season. Couldn't get down to Exeter from York so went to see our promotion rivals Bolton against already relegated Rotherham. Again went mental as Clive Mendonca scored a last minute equaliser for Rotherham. Got back to the car to find out Andy Ansah had scored a late winner at Exeter.

Happy days indeed.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

The crowds reflected a massive Southend apathy of the time. It has to be remembered this was well before we went to the giddy heights of Div 1 football. We were renowned as a team that resembled a yo-yo. Most supporters were convinced that promotion was merely a forerunner to subsequent relegation. Consecutive promotions were a pipe-dream where as now we have tasted higher league football we all hope we can savour it again.

Back