• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

caseysea

First post just looking back on database trying to work out first game i saw probably v shrewsbury 1964 won 1-0.Dad lifted me over turnstile and bunged operator 2 bob (10p) to get into paddock(east stand).Vivid memories of two wingers John Mckinven thinnest whitest legs ever saw and Derek woodley best hair and ray smith scary centre forward and classy andy smillie.Good memories, good team never won anything though.Looking forward to tomorrow as much as last 47 seasons- cant wait come on you blues

Welcome to the Zone! I used to have a season ticket in the Paddock many moons ago! Although not quite as early as you seem to have been going.

Welcome to the zone young`un you seem to be of similar vintage to myself and share very similar memories of earliest days supporting the blues.

Welcome to the board mate. 1964, you're a youngster Cricko on here attended our first league match in 1920. There's a lot of "memory lane" threads on here that are worth checking out.

Yeah welcome - I too was in the paddock about then and had a soft spot for Mckinven and Woodley (my two favourite Blues players so far)

First post just looking back on database trying to work out first game i saw probably v shrewsbury 1964 won 1-0.Dad lifted me over turnstile and bunged operator 2 bob (10p) to get into paddock(east stand).Vivid memories of two wingers John Mckinven thinnest whitest legs ever saw and Derek woodley best hair and ray smith scary centre forward and classy andy smillie.Good memories, good team never won anything though.Looking forward to tomorrow as much as last 47 seasons- cant wait come on you blues

How much was admission for a junior in 1964?

For the benefit of younger zoners a tanner was sixpence ( thats six old pence) now two and a half pence except of course we no longer have half pences. Put another way a modern 5p piece would get two of you in.

Of course in those days we had to work down pit for 23 hours a day, kids had respect etc etc........

Last edited:
Hey, My first memory was seeing Southend play at home with my Dad (I guess it was around 1996/1997). It was the last game of the season I believe and we were sitting in the West Stand near the South Stand and everyone was holding up P45 signs. When the game ended, the majority of fans ran on the pitch and someone sat on the goal post and caved it in.

Any one else remember that game (the year could be out a little bit)?

Hey, My first memory was seeing Southend play at home with my Dad (I guess it was around 1996/1997). It was the last game of the season I believe and we were sitting in the West Stand near the South Stand and everyone was holding up P45 signs. When the game ended, the majority of fans ran on the pitch and someone sat on the goal post and caved it in.

Yeah I remember it was the last game of the 1997/8 season against Wrexham we were already relegated and we lost 3-1.
It was the North Bank crossbar that people were swinging on and it caved in. It was a bit of a protest against Vic Jobson.

I was the second person on the pitch after ozzie shrimper or whatever your name on here is now Andy. Anyway managed to get a Wrexham shirt and got some funny looks protesting while wearing it

Back