• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2 Minutes Silence

Ignorant sweaty-sock b*stards!

I don't call buses/trains still running & people sat at their desks clicking away on their keyboards a suitable level of respect for marking the 12pm 2 minutes silence.

DISGUSTING

It could just as easily be Glasgow or Edinburgh that gets attacked, then just listen to them!

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I've unfortunately had similar experiences of the '2 minutes silences.'

We had one last Friday which was diabolical - although it was quiet(ish) people were eating, using their computers and a specific department (risk management) decided it was a good idea to carry on with phone calls etc - being an open plan office it wasn't the best.

Today was better, however, we undertook the 2 minutes silence outside the front of the building. Bang on the stroke of 12 a goon from UPS pulled up and proceeded to unload a van in an extremely noisy manner although he could see exactly what was going on.

It just goes to show that Football fans are very respectful because the silences at Roots Hall are always immaculately observed.

Have to say that, the odd white van continuing to trundle along, the silence was impeccably observed in Vauxhall. Lots of people standing along the banks of the river and on the bridge, and a boat went past with the whole crew standing to attention on the deck.

Impressive and moving; and then, in typical British fashion, a whistle was blown and everyone headed back into the office in orderly fashion. Good show.

Matt

Same here at Liverpool Street, and Old Broad Street. the area was rammed with people, buses and taxis. Me and my mate left the office to join everyone on the street, it was quite emotional to be standing where people where brought up from the bombing last week and today to see thousands of people to be standing there to show solidarity with those who survived as well as perished.

Oh for the record my mate is from Glasgow so not sure you can label all Scots as being ignorant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ July 14 2005,13:19)]Oh for the record my mate is from Glasgow so not sure you can label all Scots as being ignorant.
I am not saying they are all ignorant, my wife is Scottish after all, but it just bothers me that the Madrid rememberance last year was observed a whole lot more than today which was to commemorate & respect those who were victim to an atrocity in our own country!

That was partly why I commented on the trains/buses issue as these were all pulled over (certainly in Strathclyde) for the 2 minutes silence last year, not today it would seem!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 14 2005,13:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ July 14 2005,13:25)]in our own country!
That might be the issue, though, might it not...?

oops.gif
It would be a shame if it was, at a time when the world need to start working together to bridge stuipid religious/cultural divisions.

We should celebrate our differences and enjoy what they bring rather then use them to distance ourselves further.

By doing this the threat of terrorism will diminish slightly.

It comes as no surprise that the bombers came from that part of the country, as recent events point to a possible cauldron of hate spilling out to the rest of the country. BNP increasing votes, race riots and gang warfare between white and asian breaking out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 14 2005,13:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ July 14 2005,13:25)]in our own country!
That might be the issue, though, might it not...?

oops.gif
Hence my use of the term ignorant.
As Bob has said this is not the time for divisions, this is the time to come together against a common foe. Scotland lost a great many men & women in the 2 World Wars (in fact Rememberance Sunday up here always appears to be far more organised & observed than in the South-East of England) so what's now different?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ July 14 2005,13:35)]It comes as no surprise that the bombers came from that part of the country, as recent events point to a possible cauldron of hate spilling out to the rest of the country. BNP increasing votes, race riots and gang warfare between white and asian breaking out.
But that's the odd thing - there has always been a great deal less racial tension in Leeds & Dewsbury, where these bombers hailed from, than in places like Oldham or Bradford.

Alas, this isn't a white v. black war; this is a war being waged by people who utterly reject the values of the west. And in that sense, I'm not sure local tensions have that big a part to play.

Instead, it's time for the moderate Muslims to throw open their doors, get involved with the local communities, ensure their kids go to normal local schools... that's the only way you prevent the next generation of kids being brainwashed into hating the society that has, in fact, formed them.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 14 2005,13:54)]Alas, this isn't a white v. black war; this is a war being waged by people who utterly reject the values of the west. And in that sense, I'm not sure local tensions have that big a part to play.
From little acorns, Matt.

Firstly I did not say it was white v black war, just pointed out that has been a lot of gang clashes between the white and the asian population in that area. Maybe I know more about the issues there due to a friend coming from Leeds who tells me about the problems that have been growing where there are areas becoming no-go areas for people of a different background to those who live in that area. And this is pointer of things going awry and possible implications spiralling out of control.

Local tension could be the seed that the main forces behind the global issues prey on. You need something to nuture, if we all lived in harmony with each other, then these seeds would not be there to exploit.

My main point is that this will not just need the muslim communities to open up but all neighbouring communities need to do likewise. I have always believed Unilateral is never as efficient as multilateral to getting problems resolved.

sorry i was v angry when i saw that... apologies again
i must admit it is pretty poor though? they are our neighbours for god sake, we fight side by side in the services.. it should of been common decency to respect those who dies

At the end of the day somebody has sat with a few people who have carried on typing (people did that in my office and I'm not in Scotland).
Can you really expect a train to stop in the middle of it's trip? maybe/maybe not some may say it wouldn't be the safest of things to do, only takes one train along the line to carry on and it's goodnight.

So I don't think you can say a whole country has no respect just because a few didn't observe the silence.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Usual_Suspect @ July 14 2005,16:01)]At the end of the day somebody has sat with a few people who have carried on typing (people did that in my office and I'm not in Scotland).
Can you really expect a train to stop in the middle of it's trip? maybe/maybe not some may say it wouldn't be the safest of things to do, only takes one train along the line to carry on and it's goodnight.

So I don't think you can say a whole country has no respect just because a few didn't observe the silence.
You can't stop trains to observe the silence. Rescheduling the trains would be a nightmare and let's not underestimate the potential for a terrorist attack on a time when a previous one is being remembered. How would this affect those on the stationary tubes?

As for the silence, there were still people in our office that didn't leave to observe the silence but from what I could tell, those who stayed inside leaned out the windows and certainly stopped working.

The silence down at the Piccadilly end of Regent Street was perfectly observed. Five minutes earlier, the junction by our office was a cauldron of cars cursing at ecah other and praying for lights to stay green. In the silence, everything stopped. It's strange how remarkable it is to see a traffic light change in central London in the day but no-one drives through it. A coupole of people seemed to be walking around but looked rather bemused at what was going on. God knows what they've been doing lately!!

It's also odd that even when you can't hear a single distinguishable sound, London still has a constant murmur emanating from an unknown source.

Back