• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Struth we will be playing a different side on Saturday. Tranmere just brought in 2 more from Hull on loan! Will Aimson centre back and Calaum Jahraldo Martin ( both youngsters ) Accrington brought in Crooks from Huddersfield and Dunkley on loan to Oxford.
You can bring in loan players for 28 days or up to a maximum of 93. The latter is good as the 3 month deal carries you over to the main transfer window opening up again. Premier League clubs of course cant bring any one in except for goalies on 7 day emergency loans, so they love to send out their talented youngsters to gain experience. Football league clubs can then take advantage of top flight talent!! and many are! We were so unlucky with Lee, but fingers crossed for news soon?
Phil says he has a healthy problem in choosing defence for Saturday with 8 available, I think he also has a problem in choosing from 10 in midfield. Not so much a problem upfront though with 2 out of 3 to choose from?

Yeh I saw that HB, interesting isnt it, wonder how Kane will go . down there ? I wish him well, but not against us. The 6th loan signing of the day to our league, is it hotting up?
Strengthening for the busy Xmas period is vital and can make so much difference to the final promotion outcome. Getting in a couple now would be very useful, although a last chance occurs if we can stay in contention when January window opens

22 players captured in league 2 on loan in just under 3 weeks. Accrington, Bury and Tranmere now lead the way with 9 brought in between them in 2 weeks! C'mon Phil , think of that juicy 4 year contract and promotion if you could just bring in a few blokes upfront who can kick a ball into a net and up the competition a bit for striking roles?

7 more loan deals already today. Tranmere are a bit like the Tories here locally throwing everything at it! ( UKIP won Rochester/Strood) Tranmere signed 4 on loan in 3 days ( 2 strikers). Be interesting to see whether that causes us a problem?
14 clubs now strengthened their ranks during November , prior to the Xmas campaign. Tranmere lead the race with 4 in, Bury 3, Hartlepool 3, Accrington 3 with 4 other clubs bringing in 2. Eight clubs have brought in 21 new players in just 3 weeks. Southend one of 10 clubs not to do anything yet with just 6 days left.

You're looking at this wrong - it's a question of who we need to OFFLOAD. In the time I've been a Southend fan, I've seen two promotion winning teams, Webbs and Tilsons. Both had fairly small squads, settled teams, not too many players milling around the edges not getting much playing time, and not many opportunities for the manager to chop and change when we got a bad result.

Currently we have players like Connor Clifford who can't make the match day squad, and Adam Thompson who doesn't know if he's first choice or fifth choice centre half. The manager needs to work with what he has and if anything thin the squad a bit. We also need to acknowledge that he's been well supported by the chairman, although god knows how.

Tranmere have signed Shamir Fenelon on loan from Brighton. A striker who has made 8 appearances (3 for Brighton, 5 for Rochdale) and scored no goals so far this season. Brighton recalled him from his (season long) loan at Rochdale because he wasn't getting enough games.

He made 12 appearances for Torquay last season (where he played alongside Coulthirst and Elliott Benyon!) and scored 1 goal.

The two lads from Hull are a couple of kids that Hull took a punt on from non-league. One of them made a couple of substitute appearance in the League and FA Cup last year, the other hasn't appeared at all.

Hardly signings to set the world on fire! (Watch them score hat-tricks against us now!)

You're looking at this wrong - it's a question of who we need to OFFLOAD. In the time I've been a Southend fan, I've seen two promotion winning teams, Webbs and Tilsons. Both had fairly small squads, settled teams, not too many players milling around the edges not getting much playing time, and not many opportunities for the manager to chop and change when we got a bad result.

Currently we have players like Connor Clifford who can't make the match day squad, and Adam Thompson who doesn't know if he's first choice or fifth choice centre half. The manager needs to work with what he has and if anything thin the squad a bit. We also need to acknowledge that he's been well supported by the chairman, although god knows how.

Fair point, which I take, but with such an ongoing scoring problem, I think the balance of the squad needs to shift towards strengthening goalscoring capability for the second half of the season and pressure for places. Do we need 10/ 11 midfielders and just 2 current strikers? when the majority of clubs in league 2 have between 4 to 6 strikers?. Even if we bring Barnard back AND another striker we would still be light upfront and our squad would also remain quite small in comparison with others

Hartlepool seem to be the only side making a loan signing today ( Their 4th this month) Striker Ironside from Sheff Utd.
They certainly need some cavalry!! Read somewhere on here that Chris Phillips had tweeted that word of a signing for us is imminent. Any one seen this.? 5 days left to do the business . Hope there is some truth in the tweet, ( I know not to trust them, but CP often right on this stuff) Liked the comment that Phil is a midfield shopaholic, so given his recent statement about how lightweight we are upfront, looking forward to seeing OToole and Gascoigne turn up

Fair point, which I take, but with such an ongoing scoring problem, I think the balance of the squad needs to shift towards strengthening goalscoring capability for the second half of the season and pressure for places. Do we need 10/ 11 midfielders and just 2 current strikers? when the majority of clubs in league 2 have between 4 to 6 strikers?. Even if we bring Barnard back AND another striker we would still be light upfront and our squad would also remain quite small in comparison with others

How would we be light up front with 4 strikers?

We have two strikers and only play one so that Payne can play, we dont need another two to sit on the bench.

We certainly do need another one and Lee being injured scuppered our plans to have one, but with Payne playing that deeper position we can only play one at any time anyway.

Hopefully we will bring someone in, but the problem is anyone we sign now is only until January.

Chris Phillips did tweet something, but retracted it straight after...

Deegan may not sign and JBW will presumably go back, so that's 2 down. Add to that Coulthirst - I can't believe Spurs sent him down to sit on our bench and the longer that goes on the more likely I suspect that he'll be recalled. Sokolik surely can't stay as we have 4x centre halves already so unless we offload one of those, he'll be back to Yeovil. If we reunite Barnard, the squad then has a more solid feel.

Bentley, Smith, Smith
White, Thompson, Bolger, Ibenfeldt, Prosser, Coker
Leonard, Clifford, Timlin, Atkinson, Hurst, Worrall, Payne, Weston
Corr, Barnard

add to that Layne, Williams, Brown if we recalled them from loan.

It's still too big! I think we could lose another 1/2

Deegan may not sign and JBW will presumably go back, so that's 2 down. Add to that Coulthirst - I can't believe Spurs sent him down to sit on our bench and the longer that goes on the more likely I suspect that he'll be recalled. Sokolik surely can't stay as we have 4x centre halves already so unless we offload one of those, he'll be back to Yeovil. If we reunite Barnard, the squad then has a more solid feel.

Bentley, Smith, Smith
White, Thompson, Bolger, Ibenfeldt, Prosser, Coker
Leonard, Clifford, Timlin, Atkinson, Hurst, Worrall, Payne, Weston
Corr, Barnard

add to that Layne, Williams, Brown if we recalled them from loan.

It's still too big! I think we could lose another 1/2

is weston a midfielder or a forward...:smile:

I think Phil now has moved on to calling them the front four. Anything to avoid the term striker? Although recently he was saying we didn't have an abundance of forwards .The club officially lists Weston as a midfielder, a STRIKER he definitely isn't!
Only 3 days left to take advantage of the loan window. will we do any business to strengthen for the Xmas period? Maybe waiting in hope of a longer deal on Elliot Lee after January?
If we get Layne, Williams and Brown back will they even see the bench under Brown this season?
im beginning to really enjoy Phil's remarkable capacity for inconsistent weekly mutterings, it must be something to do with being a regular T.V / radio pundit, starting to make me crack up! Seriously good fun

I think Phil now has moved on to calling them the front four. Anything to avoid the term striker? Although recently he was saying we didn't have an abundance of forwards .The club officially lists Weston as a midfielder, a STRIKER he definitely isn't!
Only 3 days left to take advantage of the loan window. will we do any business to strengthen for the Xmas period? Maybe waiting in hope of a longer deal on Elliot Lee after January?
If we get Layne, Williams and Brown back will they even see the bench under Brown this season?
im beginning to really enjoy Phil's remarkable capacity for inconsistent weekly mutterings, it must be something to do with being a regular T.V / radio pundit, starting to make me crack up! Seriously good fun

Dont think thats possible unless the loan was actually cancelled and didnt exist. He was loaned under the emergency loan system, so 93 days maximum.

As for Layne/Williams/Brown , I doubt Layne and Brown will make any impact on the first team at all this season, if Williams does well whilst at Chelmsford then he may be introduced slowly, but I wouldnt expect to see him starting many, if at all , this season.

Wolves have made Leon Clarke available for loan, who would have him back?

I think Leon had his moments but I also remember him for getting quite some stick for lackadaisical performances. He scored some spectacular goals early on, but I will never forget the worst number of sitters I have seen in a 1-1 draw at Gilingham. W

So shortly 48 hours left before closing that loan window and we look like bringing in yet another midfielder. Wondrous!

If a good striker is NOT recruited a mid table finish will seem optimistic. N

So shortly 48 hours left before closing that loan window and we look like bringing in yet another midfielder. Wondrous!

If a good striker is NOT recruited a mid table finish will seem optimistic. N

We are 5th without one, how is that optimistic ?:smile:

Back