• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who will win the 2010 Ryder Cup?

• Europe by +6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Europe by 2.5 > 5.5

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Europe by 0.5 > 2

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • 14 all draw

• USA by 0.5 > 2

• USA by by 2.5 > 5.5

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • USA by +6

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor is now just over 3 weeks away, and both teams are now confirmed, with Corey Pavin having handed a wildcard to Tiger Woods. I can't help thinking that Pavin has made a massive **** up in picking Woods. He's certainly not the player he was, he'll probably get plenty from the galleries and he just isn't a team man. Under Azinger 2 years ago the Americans deserved to get the jug back, although it might have helped if Faldo's European "big hitters" had pick up a few more points.

It's often been felt that Woods is disruptive in the team, as previously it's generally been what Tiger wants Tiger gets. Maybe his fall from grace will have knocked some of the arrogance out of him, although I doubt it. I'm hoping that Pavin will follow Hal Sutton and pair Woods with Mickleson.

Both teams include 5 rookies, but I think the European side looks the stronger on paper, although Westwood won't play before the tournament because of injury, and hopefully home advantage will tell in the favour of the Europeans.

I personally think the biggest mistake was Monty picking Harrington, who's massively out of form at the moment. Sure, he's won majors before and has Ryder Cup experience, but Casey has been playing considerably better than him over the last sive or six months. Good call on Donald, though, who showed his credentials this weekend in the Fed-Ex.

I would've actually called up both Molinaris before last weekend's Euro PGA event... You won't find a pair more in sync than those two, which will be perfect for the foursome and fourball events.

In terms of Tiger's selection... I'm indifferent to it. His form is all over the place at the minute, but he's still been showing these odd glimpses of utter brilliance you tend to associate with him. I'd imagine Pavin would've consulted with prior captains and the more experienced players, such as Mickelson, before selecting Woods, and the fact he's in would suggest that none of them have any major gripe with him. It would've been interesting had Anthony Kim been fully fit and firing, as he's a more likeable character.

I too have the Europeans strong on paper. I think we're more consistently talented across the board in comparison to the US having their weak points... I'm just glad I don't have to put up with Boo Weekley acting like an arse for the week.

You may be right about Harrington, he was very poor at Valhalla two years ago, and Casey or for that matter Justin Rose have been in much better shape, particularly Rose with a couple of wins.

On the subject of Woods theres a nice piece by Derek Lawrenson in todays Mail.

I will be glued to the TV all weekend.

Casey's omission was mystifying, Harrington can't buy any form at the moment but as usual you have to wait until after the event to judge. He certainly didn't look a major winner two years ago though. Slight worry about Donald, while he no doubt played well last weekend, as soon as Hoffmann put a run of scores together in the final round he seemed to lose all his consistency (which is a big part of his game as he's not a long hitter).

Agree about the Molinaris, looking forward to seeing them play in tandem. We definitely have the stronger team on paper, many of those on the American team have done too much outside of the US.

Watching Woods recently, he seems to be all or nothing. Wild drives followed by amazing approaches followed by misjudged putts. Or the other way round. I'm erring towards being happy about him being there.

I think I'm one of the few golf fans outside of the US (and probably including, for that matter) that has a lot of time for Woods... No, he's not the most elegant (for want of a better word) on the course with his occasional shouts, but it's my personal opinion that the likes of Norman and Watson are probably a little too precious about the "sanctity" of the sport. You couldn't say that Woods' behaviour on the course is disgraceful and, much like Rooney, his antics off the field shouldn't be a stick to beat him with while he's competing.

Compared to some of the golfers on the tour (Yes, JD, I'm looking at you), He's a saint.

In some respects, he's a victim of adolescent stardom and a father who was sandwiches, crisps and a hamper short of a picnic, and he's a spectacular golfer.

Last edited:
I think I'm one of the few golf fans outside of the US (and probably including, for that matter) that has a lot of time for Woods... No, he's not the most elegant (for want of a better word) on the course with his occasional shouts, but it's my personal opinion that the likes of Norman and Watson are probably a little too precious about the "sanctity" of the sport. You couldn't say that Woods' behaviour on the course is disgraceful and, much like Rooney, his antics off the field shouldn't be a stick to beat him with while he's competing.

In some respects, he's a victim of adolescent stardom and a father who was sandwiches, crisps and a hamper short of a picnic, and he's a spectacular golfer.
At his prime he was doing things you couldn't see any other golfer doing, spectacular and more. Always enjoyable to watch. The game needs him back to his best, it's a bit sad to see the US TV coverage following him around the course diligently no matter how far off the pace he is. He was always the benchmark for other golfers, you finish ahead of Tiger you're more than likely going to win the thing. It would be a shame to see one of the best sportsmen of his generation drift into a perennial backmarker.

Well, apparently Mickelson won the first battle of the stars... Pavin consulted both him and Tiger as to who to include as the fourth Wildcard entry, Woods favouring his practice partner Sean O'Hair and Mickelson choosing to endorse Ricky Fowler.

I can't say there's too much between the two golfers to be honest, what Fowler lacks in consistency he makes up for in his excellent short game, but I think Pavin might've missed a trick by failing to pick who's probably the only golfer who'll genuinely be happy to be paired with Woods for the foursome events.

I personally think the biggest mistake was Monty picking Harrington, who's massively out of form at the moment.

Didn't do too badly yesterday, though... Although I still think Donald will be the more important player for Monty this weekend.

Excited about this now, the Sky HD man is coming tomorrow to set everything up in time for Friday which should be perfect.

Wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advise... I have managed to bag a pair of Corporate VIP tickets for the Thursday practice session and Opening Ceremony but I have no idea about what to take with me or what to wear etc. Has anyone been to any Golf tournaments before and could offer any help?

Well it depends, do you plan on being out on the course much?

Smart dress will be imperative, but a pair of slacks with a shirt and belt/shoes should suffice. If you plan on being out on the course, then a rainproof jacket and umbrella will be vital. Also, some form of club or bat, purely to knock seven shades out of any American who chances the "Get in the hole" shout.

Cheers for that ESB. I have packed my "American hitting" bat, but will decide whether the rest of it is important enough later :)

Yeah, we are a little stumped at the moment on dress codes as we don't get the tickets with all the info on till Wednesday evening, so it isn't really leaving us much time to get sorted, but shouldn't need to much I wouldn't have thought.

Just two days to go now and I'm excited for this... I'll be racing home from the Lincoln game to get in front of the TV.

Can't help but think that somebody should have reined in McIlroy before his rather poorly-timed comment regarding Woods losing his aura as a player, though. He's a young player and he was probably goaded into the comment by the journalist, but you can't give the American's any more ammunition like that, especially to a player who has a history of making opponents regret comments.

Still, the partnerships look pretty solid at the moment. Molinaris are a given, McDowell/McIlroy is too by my reckoning although pairing Poulter with Jimenez is a little bizarre... I can't see them having much to talk about.

Should have been paired with Casey but hey ho........

Can't wait, afternoon off tomorrow and then camped up in front of the TV for the weekend.

Don't buy that, at least he was up there whilst Harrington has been bumming around on the European Tour not doing much. Sure he had a decent final round on Sunday but he was never in contention in the first place. Simple fact, 24 players on show and the World No. 8 wasn't selected despite being a proven matchplay player. There's politics behind it I'm sure, Casey is known to be a loner (and therefore allegedly unpopular) on tour and it's also been suggested that Montgomerie was 'forced' to pick Harrington as he's the darling of the European Tour as opposed to Casey who almost never travels back over.

Who knows......

MrB said:
Don't buy that, at least he was up there whilst Harrington has been bumming around on the European Tour not doing much. Sure he had a decent final round on Sunday but he was never in contention in the first place. Simple fact, 24 players on show and the World No. 8 wasn't selected despite being a proven matchplay player. There's politics behind it I'm sure, Casey is known to be a loner (and therefore allegedly unpopular) on tour and it's also been suggested that Montgomerie was 'forced' to pick Harrington as he's the darling of the European Tour as opposed to Casey who almost never travels back over.

Who knows......
Let's hope Pod is as successful as the "wrong pick" from last time out....

I think the first 4 pairings will be Molinari Brothers, Mcdowell and Mcilroy, Westwood and Kaymer, Poulter and Donald. Harrington for me doesnt deserve to play every match, would maybe pair him with Jimenez in the afternoon and get Fisher playing with Westy maybe and Kaymer with Hanson.

Back