• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LB:
Gilbert 2012 - Keep as 2nd choice LB
Herd 2011 - Release

Not much point in keeping Gilbert as back-up. I doubt he walked out on Northampton because of his love for Peter Pans Playground. Either he's our starting left back or we might as well get rid.

GK:
Evans 2011 - Get rid.
Morris 2011 - Keep

RB:
Clohessy 2012 - Keep
Comminges 2011 - Keep

LB:
Gilbert 2012 - Keep
Herd 2011 - Get Rid

CB:
Mohsni 2012 - Keep
Barker 2012 - Keep
Phillips 2012 - Keep
Coughlan 2011 - Keep, If retires, Asst/Coach
Prosser 2011 - Keep

CM:
Anthony Grant 2012 - Sell
Craig Easton 2011 - Keep
Kane Ferdinand 2013 - Keep
Lee Sawyer 2011 - Keep
Adam Bouzid 2011 - Get Rid

W:
Ryan Hall 2011 - Keep
Louis Soares 2011 - Get Rid

F:
Barry Corr 2012 - Keep
Blair Sturrock 2011 - Keep
Harry Crawford 2012 - Keep
Matt Paterson 2012 - Get Rid

Ihave no way of knowing if Southend players have either not been paid, or have been paid late on numerous occasion, but if this is true, then many of them might well be looking to duck out of there contracts, in the same way many left last season. Next season imo PS if he doesnt walk anyway, might well have to start all over again with a nearly new squad.

GK:
Evans 2011 - Get rid.
Morris 2011 - Keep

RB:
Clohessy 2012 - Keep
Comminges 2011 - Keep

LB:
Gilbert 2012 - Keep
Herd 2011 - Get Rid

CB:
Mohsni 2012 - Keep
Barker 2012 - Keep
Phillips 2012 - Keep
Coughlan 2011 - Keep, If retires, Asst/Coach
Prosser 2011 - Keep

CM:
Anthony Grant 2012 - Sell
Craig Easton 2011 - Keep
Kane Ferdinand 2013 - Keep
Lee Sawyer 2011 - Keep
Adam Bouzid 2011 - Get Rid

W:
Ryan Hall 2011 - Keep
Louis Soares 2011 - Get Rid

F:
Barry Corr 2012 - Keep
Blair Sturrock 2011 - Keep
Harry Crawford 2012 - Keep
Matt Paterson 2012 - Get Rid

So you're pretty much happy with 14th again next season then ?

I'd be ecstatic with 14th next season. I suspect we're in for a major struggle.

I'd be ecstatic with 14th next season. I suspect we're in for a major struggle.

Agreed. If you offered me 14th now I'd probably snatch your hand off. We're not really in a financial position to start demanding rapid progress.

Agreed. If you offered me 14th now I'd probably snatch your hand off. We're not really in a financial position to start demanding rapid progress.

And we never will be until we climb out of this dire division.....14th ?? please NO!...I would rather not bother going at all if that is the sum total of our ambition.

And we never will be until we climb out of this dire division.....14th ?? please NO!...I would rather not bother going at all if that is the sum total of our ambition.

It's not so much a question of ambition as it is coping with the financial constraints. If we can mount a challenge on the budget, then great, but it'd be a ridiculous piece of management to play fast and loose with the budget in an attempt to gain promotion to the more lucrative divisions ahead of us. RM tried it once and it backfired spectacularly, and it's a decision most are very quick to criticise him for and rightly so. If we tried it again, and it failed, then it really could be the death knell.

As long as we have a skint chairman and the redevelopment is up in the air, we have no option but to attempt to live within our means and consolidate.

can someone provide me (or work) out through our history the amount of seasons spent in each level of the football league. i.e. 25% 2nd tier, 50% 3rd tier, 25% 4th tier.

can someone provide me (or work) out through our history the amount of seasons spent in each level of the football league. i.e. 25% 2nd tier, 50% 3rd tier, 25% 4th tier.

You do it you laxy git :raspberry:

Top of my head i'd say 8% Tier 2
35% we were in 3(S) so i dont know how you'd equate that
32% Tier 3
25% Tier 4

total guesses on my part these ...

You do it you laxy git :raspberry:

Top of my head i'd say 8% Tier 2
35% we were in 3(S) so i dont know how you'd equate that
32% Tier 3
25% Tier 4

total guesses on my part these ...

I would but I don't have available to me the dates when the league structure changed and also the dates when we got promoted and relegated. With these you could work it out.

Plus I'm a lazy git!

It appears that we're going to have a lot of young players on the books next season in an attempt to get the wagebill down as low as possible. Unless something miraculous happens to clear up our cashflow problems we'll inevitably be hit with winding up petitions and periods in which the players won't be getting paid. Our saving grace is the number of rubbish teams in this rubbish division but I think we'll be relying on some good management to keep our heads above water.

Ok, since 1920 and counting the old Div 3N/S as 3rd tier, we've spent 6 seasons in the 2nd tier, 63 seasons in the 3rd tier, and 22 seasons in the 4th

Ok, since 1920 and counting the old Div 3N/S as 3rd tier, we've spent 6 seasons in the 2nd tier, 63 seasons in the 3rd tier, and 22 seasons in the 4th

So in modern terms:

69% spent in League One.
24% spent in League Two.
7% spent in Championship.

So in your average 10 year spell, we would be playing League One football for almost 7 of those, just over 2 seasons in League Two and less than 1 season in the Championship.

How does that compare to the last 10 years?...

50% spent in League One
40% spent in League Two
10% spent in Championship

So in other words we have spent longer than "usual" in League Two over the last 10 seasons. Or dare I say "underachieving?" despite a great run under Tilly?

Last edited:
From those who are out of contract, I'd offer new contacts to Morris, Coughlan, Prosser, Easton, Sawyer, Hall and maybe Sturrock, undecided on Blair. Release the others who are out of contract and keep the ones who are under contact as I doubt we can afford to be terminating contracts. If someone comes in with a few grand for Grant then take it.

So in the 53(?) seasons since the end of regionalisation (which was half third division, half fourth division), we'll have been 22 seasons in the 4th, 25 seasons in the 3rd and 6 seasons in 2nd tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back