• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2012 celebration - was it reflective of modern Britain?

seany t

President
I thought that the point of 2012, according to the BBC coverage and Seb Coe, was to give the youth of today a memorable Olympic Games. The handover ceremony was handled well I thought, being a bit quirky and an ok mix of old and new, but what the hell was that travesty on tv afterwards? If that represented modern Britain, I'm emigrating. Nessum dorma, Sophie Ellis Bextor badly covering a Bond theme out of her vocal range, what seemed like the dying carcass of a once great band called Queen, the smegging Feeling and Heather Small. All in front of Buckingham Palace.

Where was contemporary Britain in all that? Had we hosted the games 24 years ago, would that have been an overly different affair?

I wasn't expecting any of the bands I love, but with Dizzee Rascal in the top 5, Notting Hill carnival and Creamfields on up the road and a raft of better presenters on the circuit (Claudia Winkelmann?!?), surely the planning team could have done better?

And there was me thinking it'd be Boris embarassing us today...

Boris, for me, was magnificent but I have long been a fan. I haven't seen any of the London celebrations today due to work but I have watched the repeat of the closing of the olympics and was filled with enormous pride with what to expect from 2012.

The red bus, lollypop ladies, umbrellas, zebra crossings, all almost unique to the UK. The 10 year old chosen from a kids programme, what a thing for her, the girl who sang, great voice, and Jimmy Page on guitar, genius as far as I'm concerned. We can't even begin to match what the Chinese have put on but I reckon we are going to deliver one hell of a games in four years time. I can't wait.

It could have been more realistic. It could have gone-
Boris Johnson gets the flag then gets mugged by a hoodie, who tries to escape on the underground, but they are on strike so he gets the bus. Once on the bus it keeps on stopping due to roadworks and on the bus pregnant women and OAP's are made to stand up as all the seats are filled up by middle aged people.
Also the cyclists cut up the bus and other traffic and the bus pulls out infront of cars when leaving every bus stop.

I thought that the point of 2012, according to the BBC coverage and Seb Coe, was to give the youth of today a memorable Olympic Games. The handover ceremony was handled well I thought, being a bit quirky and an ok mix of old and new, but what the hell was that travesty on tv afterwards? If that represented modern Britain, I'm emigrating. Nessum dorma, Sophie Ellis Bextor badly covering a Bond theme out of her vocal range, what seemed like the dying carcass of a once great band called Queen, the smegging Feeling and Heather Small. All in front of Buckingham Palace.

Where was contemporary Britain in all that? Had we hosted the games 24 years ago, would that have been an overly different affair?

I wasn't expecting any of the bands I love, but with Dizzee Rascal in the top 5, Notting Hill carnival and Creamfields on up the road and a raft of better presenters on the circuit (Claudia Winkelmann?!?), surely the planning team could have done better?

And there was me thinking it'd be Boris embarassing us today...
Smirk at Boris,thats what livingstone did,and what happened.

Boris' administration is collapsing already (his administration has had 3 resignations in 3 months, Ken had 1 in 8 years). I reckon he will stand again in 2012, win and lead London during the olympics. On the olympic ceremony, I thought our part was very "britain" and not boring like so many ceremonies. The party afterwards wasnt on the otherhand

Boris' administration is collapsing already (his administration has had 3 resignations in 3 months, Ken had 1 in 8 years). I reckon he will stand again in 2012, win and lead London during the olympics. On the olympic ceremony, I thought our part was very "britain" and not boring like so many ceremonies. The party afterwards wasnt on the otherhand
Now thats a thought,good old red ken back at the helm,maybe Bob crow could organise the competitors transport,perfect.

Boris' administration is collapsing already (his administration has had 3 resignations in 3 months, Ken had 1 in 8 years).

Ken Livingston's cronies were quite happy to stay and milk as much as they could for 8 years rather than resign. Millions are still unaccounted for and no one is being held accountable. Old Labour, New Labour, Same Labour.

Ken Livingston's cronies were quite happy to stay and milk as much as they could for 8 years rather than resign. Millions are still unaccounted for and no one is being held accountable. Old Labour, New Labour, Same Labour.

No, the difference was that Livingstone was in control of his administration whereas Boris has delegated most of his work to avoid being accountable himself

Excuse me while I choke on my breakfast! Livingstone....in charge?!

There are a lot of labour ministers I dislike (Blears, Milliband, Balls etc) but Ken did a lot for London and was well respected around the world whereas Boris is just embarrassing

No, the difference was that Livingstone was in control of his administration whereas Boris has delegated most of his work to avoid being accountable himself

The difference is that Livingstone could not account for something in the region of 15 million given to so called minority and focus groups and that has been brushed under the carpet. Also, when he was questioned about it he accused other councillors of not representing their contituants (sp) correctly. That says to me that he was and is as bent as an hairpin.

The difference is that Livingstone could not account for something in the region of 15 million given to so called minority and focus groups and that has been brushed under the carpet. Also, when he was questioned about it he accused other councillors of not representing their contituants (sp) correctly. That says to me that he was and is as bent as an hairpin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7183929.stm

You should also remember that these "allegations" were made by the Evening Standard who ran a very anti-ken campaign (probably stemming from the row with the jewish reporter)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7183929.stm

You should also remember that these "allegations" were made by the Evening Standard who ran a very anti-ken campaign (probably stemming from the row with the jewish reporter)

Lee Jasper resigned soon after this piece.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3485940.ece

I would suggest that there is no smoke without fire, and as ever Jasper plays the racist card when it appears he is caught bang to rights. Furthermore both can sue the Standard or other papers if they so wish, as far as I am aware neither have done so.

Livingstone is a nasty vindictive hypocritical anti semitic weasel, and I for one am pleased that he is no longer in office.

Boris Johnson perpetuates the image of a bumbling buffoon which I am sure he isn't, but the jury is out on his performance as Mayor thus far.

Lee Jasper resigned soon after this piece.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3485940.ece

I would suggest that there is no smoke without fire, and as ever Jasper plays the racist card when it appears he is caught bang to rights. Furthermore both can sue the Standard or other papers if they so wish, as far as I am aware neither have done so.

Livingstone is a nasty vindictive hypocritical anti semitic weasel, and I for one am pleased that he is no longer in office.

Boris Johnson perpetuates the image of a bumbling buffoon which I am sure he isn't, but the jury is out on his performance as Mayor thus far.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7255574.stm

And those who made the claims could have gone to the police and presented the evidence that he was some fraudster. The Evening Standard still have a bee in their bonnet about the Nazi jibe (which Ken was cleared of by a high court judge) which is hypocritical considering the Daily Mail groups support of the Nazi regime at the time. The improvements he brought to London were excellent and he was a good ambassador for the city.

Extract from Wikipedia -

Rothermere (editor of Daily Mail) was a friend and supporter of both Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler, which influenced the Mail's political stance towards them up to 1939. During this period, it was the only British newspaper consistently to support the German Nazi Party.[7][8] Rothermere visited and corresponded with Hitler on many occasions. On 1 October 1938, Rothermere sent Hitler a telegram in support of Germany's invasion of the Sudetenland, and expressing the hope that 'Adolf the Great' would become a popular figure in Britain.
In 1937, the Mail's chief war correspondent, George Ward Price, to whom Mussolini once personally wrote in support of him and the newspaper, published a book, I Know These Dictators, in defence of Hitler and Mussolini. Evelyn Waugh was sent as a reporter for the Mail to cover the anticipated Italian invasion of Ethiopia.

Last edited:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7255574.stm

And those who made the claims could have gone to the police and presented the evidence that he was some fraudster. The Evening Standard still have a bee in their bonnet about the Nazi jibe (which Ken was cleared of by a high court judge) which is hypocritical considering the Daily Mail groups support of the Nazi regime at the time. The improvements he brought to London were excellent and he was a good ambassador for the city.

The Standard do indeed have a bee in their bonnet about the concentration camp guard jibe, but to say the Mail Group is hypocritical for a stance they took 70 odd years ago is wrong. That is history.

We'll have to beg to differ on the "improvements" that Livingstone bought to London, and I don't think he is or was a good ambassador for our capital city.

The Standard do indeed have a bee in their bonnet about the concentration camp guard jibe, but to say the Mail Group is hypocritical for a stance they took 70 odd years ago is wrong. That is history.

We'll have to beg to differ on the "improvements" that Livingstone bought to London, and I don't think he is or was a good ambassador for our capital city.

I think to brush such an extreme anti-sematic stance under the carpet, saying that it is history is wrong, especially as they still appear to be institutionally racist with their constant articles on immigrants and muslims but we will have to agree to disagree!

Very much enjoyed the debate, have to do it again sometime!
icon12.gif

I think to brush such an extreme anti-sematic stance under the carpet, saying that it is history is wrong, especially as they still appear to be institutionally racist with their constant articles on immigrants and muslims but we will have to agree to disagree!

Very much enjoyed the debate, have to do it again sometime!
icon12.gif

I don't think you can call a paper institutionally racist because it reports on immigration and muslims, all newspapers report on this. If for instance a paper took a stance that sided with the BNP then that is different.

Likewise enjoyed the debate.

I'm sorry BiaL, I have never been able to stand Livingstone, and like so many politicians in ALL parties he's another perpetrator of do what I say not as I do. I have to confess to a soft spot for Boris, at least he's got a personality - and I really enjoyed his "Who do you think you are" programme last week confirming Nanny Butter's belief that they were related to royalty, in no less a form than George II.

Back