• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2015 election TV debates

I really like this post. Maybe it could be converted into a set of questions for (potential) UK voters:

1. Do you want your PM to have been born into significant wealth and public-school educated?
2. Do you want your PM to have made millions working as a banker in the city, and then moved to become a career politician?
3. Do you want your PM to have a foreign wife who worked for her husband, and pocketed a disproportionate salary for a job that could have gone to a UK citizen?
4. Do you want a PM who is anti-Europe but happy to pocket a six figure sum from the EU?

Not necessarily saying I'm yes or no for any or all of these, but the hypocrisy of UKIP and the blind loyalty of some UKIP supporters who see Farage as the saviour for the working man because he talks a good talk and drinks a pint is really worrying.

Frankly none of this interests me in the slightest just as I'm indifferent if Miliband can eat a bacon sandwich. There is an irrational obsession today with where someone went to school. The questions should be exclusively on policies and whether they would improve the lot of this country.

I would love this to be changed to a debate between the deputy leaders. The idea of Farage sitting in a pub, watching some knob making up policy on the hoof would be nearly as good as the Apprentice. There'd be further fun watching the interviews later where he debunks everything said in the name of his party.

I sort of agree with some of that but at the same time are any of the others any better or come from any different background. None of them would be what you might call the same as us, are they. At the same time , I probably wouldn't feel particularly comfortable with Joe Blogs the ex steel fixer becoming the next man in charge.

Yeah I agree.

The point is that a lot of people see Farage as something he isn't - which is really worrying. He anti-Europe but feeds off it, he's against immigration unless it's his wife, he's the voice of the working man except he's very far removed from that, he's not racist but he hangs out with some despicable racists in Brussels.

He's hypocritical in a lot of respects. However lots of politicians across lots of parties are also hypocrites.

Last edited:
Frankly none of this interests me in the slightest just as I'm indifferent if Miliband can eat a bacon sandwich. There is an irrational obsession today with where someone went to school. The questions should be exclusively on policies and whether they would improve the lot of this country.

We've already seen plenty of examples of "UKIP supporters" who don't know what their policies are! UKIP are a party which is founded on the personality of one man. It's right to attack that personality as well as the policies which UKIP have.

We've already seen plenty of examples of "UKIP supporters" who don't know what their policies are! UKIP are a party which is founded on the personality of one man. It's right to attack that personality as well as the policies which UKIP have.

Better to question the policies then. If they stand up, they stand up. Playing the man not the ball is never a good tactic. It's maybe one reason why they are gathering so much support.

Better to question the policies then. If they stand up, they stand up. Playing the man not the ball is never a good tactic. It's maybe one reason why they are gathering so much support.

As I understand it, UKIP have two main policies.They're anti-EU and anti-immigration.

Maybe the "reason why they are gathering so much support" is that these "policies" are relatively simplistic and easy to understand.

As I understand it, UKIP have two main policies.They're anti-EU and anti-immigration.

Maybe the "reason why they are gathering so much support" is that these "policies" are relatively simplistic and easy to understand.

They want immigration controlled which is not the same as being anti immigration.

Their policies on NHS, maternity and paternity leave, fox hunting etc etc would be a lot less popular but they get round this by not seeming to make any policies official and Farage himself declaring their last manifesto was drivel. Amazingly a lot of voters just don't seem to mind.

Indeed. The opposition including the opposition press are totally to blame for this. I now know that Farage obviously went to public school, as if I care a hoot, but have to look elsewhere for their policies. Crazy situation. BTW they are anti HS2 and Heathrow expansion which are 2 reasons I'd not vote for them.

Indeed. The opposition including the opposition press are totally to blame for this. I now know that Farage obviously went to public school, as if I care a hoot, but have to look elsewhere for their policies. Crazy situation. BTW they are anti HS2 and Heathrow expansion which are 2 reasons I'd not vote for them.

They're also pro-Grammar schools,which would be a good enough reason for me not to vote for them.

What are Labours policies on HS2 + the Heathrow epansion?

Back