• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not spotted a similar thread so thought I'd start it for a bit of quick reflection before we properly get going with 2017. Have seen something similar I think in previous years and always find it interesting - we all have a common bond in SUFC but outside of that all have different lives with all of the sh it and joy that goes with it.

For me lots of things went right but with my Dad dying in June I certainly wouldn't want to give the year a rating - Dad was 84 and had been ill for years and the last couple in particular were immensely difficult so in many ways it was a blessed release, but it was Dad who first took me to Roots and that gave us a special bond. I rushed to get my book published by end April as I'd dedicated it to him and it was an emotional moment to hand him a copy and to hear him just about being able to read the dedication.

Family life was steady - the bigger test comes this year as two of my boys leave Uni and college respectively and have to start finding their way outside of the closeted world of education.

Work was good - my gardening business gives me all I want from it and it continues to be the best decision I made in leaving the office and in many ways false corporate world behind in 2014.

Socially it has been a year dominated by football - book aside (which has allowed me to meet so many new folk and has been great), doing the 92 at last, the last ground visit in April at Blackpool with the 14 of us having a wonderful weekender, striking up a friendship with Derek Spence (I should be getting him down to The Hall in March - more news to follow on that soon I hope), getting the rather surprising award of supporter of the year (I know there are so many more of you that deserve that than me) and attending the gala dinner to get it in May (and presenting Jack Payne with an award which I'm sure was a set up given he's two foot smaller than me), returning to be a season ticket holder again and all of the joy that comes from getting to know your immediate seat neighbours etc as the season goes on, leading the teams out in our first match v Gills and hosting Ed wood recently on his recent world record attempt visit to us.

Wonder what 2017 will bring .....

It's was pretty good - moved house from a money pit into a far better house, took my daughter on her first foreign holiday, paid of some debts, won the prediction league and got relegated the following group of matches :hilarious:

2016 wasn't bad for us, I know some people had a really bad year but ours was pretty stable with lots of nice happy stuff. 2017 starts with my daughter about to move out into her own new home so that's going to be a massive change.

Daughter got into Westcliff High for girls.
Do let me know which house she ends up in! Loved my time there, remember it all with great affection and much happiness. Well done to her, you must be very proud (I was catchment plus it was much easier back then!).

Wasn't too bad to be fair:

Passed my motorbike test and after years of wanting one bought myself a motorbike and love it.

Went to see my first ever live boxing match after all the money I've spent watching on PPV. Saw Joshua get crowned World Champion.

Had a good year at work which will hopefully lead to promotion this year.

Got to more Southend games than I did in 2015.

And saving the best until last the birth and good health of my son Harry.

A mixed one in truth. Left my job as Production Planner, at a large local manufacturing company, was totally fed up there.
Always a risk at my age, had 8 weeks off, re decorated Flat, walked 8 miles 4 times a week in May, when weather was great.
Got a new job in June, which is going well.
Lost my 'estranged' wife to Cancer day after Boxing Day, she lasted more than 3 weeks longer than 'experts' predicted, but still gut wrenching. Had known her for 42 years, we met on the Brother Grimm coach going to Plymouth in 75. RIP Jan x.
Expecting another 2 funerals this year, alas. Suppose it's the price you pay for parents living to an old age?.
Health wise ok, still go out running & walking (dos'nt get any easier at my age!).
We look safe for another season in League 1, after a dodgy start to this one.
And hope to go back to Florida for 8th year running in Sept.
Onwards & upwards hopefully.

Well my mum passed away aged 69 in March, after being unwell for many years. So it didn't start off well.

Went on the trip of a lifetime for 3 weeks in april/may, visiting the wife's family in Arizona before going to Disneyland & LA, then up the West Coast to San Francisco, Portland & Seattle.

With regards work, I continued to make my own artwork, had a couple of exhibitions, sold some stuff but still not making enough money. I looked for a part-time job to supplement my income but was frustrated at not being able to find anything.

2017 could be exciting though, my US visa application is currently being processed, so all being well we could have a fresh start in Arizona/California in a few months time where unlike here we should be able to afford to buy our own home much easier.

Drastic™;1930815 said:
Well my mum passed away aged 69 in March, after being unwell for many years. So it didn't start off well.

Went on the trip of a lifetime for 3 weeks in april/may, visiting the wife's family in Arizona before going to Disneyland & LA, then up the West Coast to San Francisco, Portland & Seattle.

With regards work, I continued to make my own artwork, had a couple of exhibitions, sold some stuff but still not making enough money. I looked for a part-time job to supplement my income but was frustrated at not being able to find anything.

2017 could be exciting though, my US visa application is currently being processed, so all being well we could have a fresh start in Arizona/California in a few months time where unlike here we should be able to afford to buy our own home much easier.

Good luck mate, exciting times! See if you can get a place in Monterrey or Big Sur. :winking:

Started off badly - cousin died suddenly at the swimming pool. But let's see: cat is showing signs of old age (he's 16!). Got a new dog who is amazing. Went to Marrakesh for a few days in April. Youngest daughter went to Scotland with my wife for a week to see her best friend. Eldest went to China for a week with school. My work - my boss has just been made redundant. My wife's business has doubled its revenue and staff. Booked a holiday in Florida for October 17.

Oh and this year starts well - youngest is singing at the O2 tonight in some school thing.

What a great year. Got a new job ten minutes from my house with a four day work week. Then Brexit, then Trump. What a time to be alive.

Back