• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm not sure if many would agree, one because he's ex-Col U, two because he's at the latter stages of his career. But I'd love to have Johnnie Jackson at the club in the middle of the park.

George Francomb wouldn't be a bad shout... Good crosser & FK taker... Could be a good & inexpensive replacement for Worrall.

Only request....please move early rather than hang on until August (as usual) :headbang:

Easier said than done for a club like us I'm afraid. Our targets will wait for a better offer than one from us. Only when they're satisfied one isn't coming in will they sign. Always tough for smaller clubs to get quality in early.

Any goalkeepers about?

I see the goalkeeper issue as a difficult one for the club. Opinion seems to be divided on this forum as to whether or not Ted Smith is ready to step up to being first choice goalkeeper. We certainly need another, experienced goalkeeper in the squad and I don't really see Paul Smith filling that role. Probably one of our best goalkeeping situations was when we had the experienced Paul Sansome and the up-and-coming Simon Royce both vying for the first-team jersey. I think that Ted Smith would be helped by having a Paul Sansome equivalent in the squad.

Of course, we are all assuming that Bentley will leave but what if no one comes in for him who will offer him a better deal than we have offered? My guess is that Ron isn't going to take on another goalkeeper until Bentley has definitely left, which may mean us missing out on some of the more useful experienced goalkeepers who are looking for a new club.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to available and experienced goalkeepers capable of doing a good job in League 1 that we might feasibly be able to afford to sign?

There are always good keepers around - this is one position I'm not worried about. Agree that as Paul Smith hasn't played for 3 years he should no longer be considered a player. I also think Ted Smith should be given the number one shirt - we just need an experienced pro who could step in if Ted crumbles! As his basic role is to sit on the bench he doesn't have to be a world-beater. Someone like Brian Murphy at Portsmouth - but there will be many others.

George Francomb wouldn't be a bad shout... Good crosser & FK taker... Could be a good & inexpensive replacement for Worrall.

Totally agree. Really impressed me twice I have seen him. Guess a lot will depend on how Wimbledon get on in the play offs.

Defence has to be our #1 priority as we've been leaking goals all over the shop recently. As mentioned on another thread I'd like to take a serious look at Orient's Baudry and Zakuani from Posh (who implied on twitter he's leaving), while Rhys Bennett and Reece Brown could be worth at least a trial.

He is interested in Southend. So watch this space.

There's no doubting he is a quality defender at a division one standard. But would he really leave Gillingham for Southend, I would be pleased to see him back at the Hall, but purely taking into account the final positions both clubs finished in? I would think he would have bigger club options available to him, than Southend. Fingers crossed though.

Just found this recent news article today, that questions whether he either had some kind of non promotion clause in his contract or he knows he will be wanted by clubs at a championship level.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/edinburgh-preparing-for-key-departures-95553/

I see the goalkeeper issue as a difficult one for the club. Opinion seems to be divided on this forum as to whether or not Ted Smith is ready to step up to being first choice goalkeeper. We certainly need another, experienced goalkeeper in the squad and I don't really see Paul Smith filling that role. Probably one of our best goalkeeping situations was when we had the experienced Paul Sansome and the up-and-coming Simon Royce both vying for the first-team jersey. I think that Ted Smith would be helped by having a Paul Sansome equivalent in the squad.

Of course, we are all assuming that Bentley will leave but what if no one comes in for him who will offer him a better deal than we have offered? My guess is that Ron isn't going to take on another goalkeeper until Bentley has definitely left, which may mean us missing out on some of the more useful experienced goalkeepers who are looking for a new club.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to available and experienced goalkeepers capable of doing a good job in League 1 that we might feasibly be able to afford to sign?

Steve Mildenhall :unsure:

There are a few veterans, would be good for a season, whilst we develop Ted; including - Paul Robinson, and Robert Green, but i think we have more chance of catching sunstroke on a rainy day than being able to afford their salaries...

Didn't realise Akinde was out of contract. Would be a cracking signing but I imagine he'll have a queue of clubs trying to sign him.

I couldn't agree more, he would be an awesome signing for us. I've been harping on about him for what seems like years.

I Also agree that i'm sure there will be a queue of clubs looking on bigger budgets for his signature, however he seems to prefer playing for southern / local clubs to us, ie Gravesend / Ebbsfleet / Daggers ... (although that being said, money talks at the end of the day) but there is no doubting he has certainly raised his game as he has progressed up the leagues. 57 goals in 88 games for Barnet (23 this season alone in Division 2). Despite his previous record at league 1 level, his now older & I think he understands the game a little better & at a faster pace, I still think he is capable of somewhere around 12 - 15 goals a season at division one level.

All being said though, given his London / Kent roots, and if all contracts that were offered to him was of a similar nature, I'm guessing he would probably choose Gillingham (if Bradley Dack leaves) or Millwall (if they fail to make promotion to the Championship league) over us.

Note that this site has market values of Dan Bentley (£375K) and Jack Payne (£75K), I really hope these are not acccurate.

Some very interesting players on those lists, I hope PB can convince RM to part with some cash... Loads of options

Rob Green's been released by QPR, someone mentioned him.

Personally, I wouldn't sign a back-up, give it to Paul Smith and use the money in the squad elsewhere.

Rob Green's been released by QPR, someone mentioned him.

Personally, I wouldn't sign a back-up, give it to Paul Smith and use the money in the squad elsewhere.

When Ted has been away with England, Paul hasn't even sat on the bench at times.

Interested to see the release of 9 by Coventry today ! Might be some worth a look in there?
Our list should comprise Hurst, Weston, Mooney, Timlin and Hunt, with goodbyes to all the loanees apart from possibly Barnett and Kamara, add in the likelihood of Bolger ( sadly ) and Prosser. Frees up around 10 wages, then add in Payne, Bentley and possibly Worrall. Lovely, 13 new ones to bring in. , ok lets call it 10 of quality. Hire Sturrock as backroom consultant for 2 months to settle em all in?:winking:

Interested to see the release of 9 by Coventry today ! Might be some worth a look in there?
Our list should comprise Hurst, Weston, Mooney, Timlin and Hunt, with goodbyes to all the loanees apart from possibly Barnett and Kamara, add in the likelihood of Bolger ( sadly ) and Prosser. Frees up around 10 wages, then add in Payne, Bentley and possibly Worrall. Lovely, 13 new ones to bring in. , ok lets call it 10 of quality. Hire Sturrock as backroom consultant for 2 months to settle em all in?:winking:

Regardless of people's opinion of Mooney, and I rate him, he signed a two-year deal when we signed last summer. He'll be here next season.

Would love to see Rueben Reid sign. Been a prolific scorer for Plymouth, and always been a handful when we've come up against him. I think Reid, Mooney, Hunt & Barnett would be a good collection of frontmen.

Mooney is still under contract and on his day can be superb for us. His face doesn't seem to fit with a lot of people but I rate him tbh. Timlin has had a injury ridden season but apart from that has been quality for us, I can't see why anyone would want to ship him out. He shows exactly what was missing for the second half of this season (passion and fight). I'd much rather look elsewhere them spend good money on Barnett, started brightly but looked laboured and lazy for the last couple of months now. Almost as if he felt he had proven his point and couldn't be bothered anymore. It's easy to see why Shrewsbury who have been below us all season didn't fancy him for themselves. Pretty much agree with all the others although I'd be doing a lot to keep hold of Bolger, and offering hunt a pure pay as you play deal. Feel hunt would be valuable for experience, and we've all seen he was head and shoulders above the rest when he was fit. Just can't justify paying a yearly salary for so little games.

theres some real quality on the championship out of contract list, id take all of these please Phil

probably couldnt afford them but i can dream...
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leon-best/profil/spieler/28244
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jerome-thomas/profil/spieler/3560

i'd imagine we could get both of these...
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/greg-halford/profil/spieler/42062
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dean-gerken/profil/spieler/42055

and this one for the pure desire and commitment...
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alex-revell/profil/spieler/41745

Back