• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 Ashes

Nice to see some football clichés have made it to the Ashes thread.

47 degrees it was in Sydney today.

47!! :omg:

I went to the Perth test for 4 days a while back. That was around the 40+ mark and was almost unbearable. Just one of the reasons I could never live in Auz.

Nice to see some football clichés have made it to the Ashes thread.

"Other series have been absolutely disastrous, but this doesn't feel like that," said Anderson, 35, who has twice been whitewashed 5-0 in Australia."We've actually played some good cricket along the way. We've not been blown away in every game."

First Test, Brisbane: Australia won by 10 wickets
Second Test, Adelaide: Australia won by 120 runs
Third Test, Perth: Australia won by an innings and 41 runs
Fourth Test, Melbourne: Draw
Fifth Test, Sydney: Australia won by an innings and 123 runs

I'm confident we can turn it round!

I also think the absence of Otis Gibson ,going to SA team just before the Ashes didnot help re our bowling, like football just shows what a backroom team can bring to a side on the pitch

Watched SA over past four days out play India, and the bowling was spot on, Otis looked very pleased when the camera panned on him

UTE

Hope Strauss follows him, comes across very arrogant on TV and someone who encouraged the ODI format at what cost now ?

Though I wish his wife a speedy recovery and back to full health soon

Agreed, we should get rid of all of the moronic selectors who for years have been picking absolute crap for years.

I hear Phil Brown might be free?

Be interesting to see the tour squad for NZ.

That and the upcoming summer tests would be a good grounding for resting certain players and trying some younger guys.

Somehow, I think we'll just revert to type, sadly.

Agreed, we should get rid of all of the moronic selectors who for years have been picking absolute crap for years.

I hear Phil Brown might be free?

It's amazing James Whitaker still had a job even before this series.

Fraser and Newell should go anyway regardless of their poor selections as they have a clear conflict of interest.

Bayliss making a pre-emptive move to try and ward off being this Ashes' sacrificial (Allan or as it's the ECB, Tim) Lamb. It remains to be seen if that ploy works.

Be interesting to see the tour squad for NZ.

That and the upcoming summer tests would be a good grounding for resting certain players and trying some younger guys.

Somehow, I think we'll just revert to type, sadly.

I think you may be correct Andy, but if after a test or two certain regulars are not doing well then I can see whole sale changes.
Directors/management like Strauss easily forgot what a great squad they had underneath them when playing and in their prime regarding playing days,but tend to forget they grew old to- gether and left at the same time, leaving a huge gap in the team.

We need to blood the likes of Porter , Lawrence, Curran brothers, Jason Roy and if it takes 6 or 7 tests then so be it.

Can you imagine Graham Gooch into days game, he would be out after two tests on his start to test match arena his first test a pair, so lets give Habib a chance with Stoneman if Cook cannot improve his batting .

Root is 23, Graeme Smith was 21 for SA when captain and inherited a team in disarray, he didnot do too bad:smile:

The one day is the future for money spinning gates, I know that but lets not forget the beautiful game over five days, we need more countries to come and make Internationals more competitive, again take The Tigers of Bangladesh team is learning, but the crowds they bring add colour and noise to what would be an awlful game on paper, tests seems to be only focused on Ashes, myself I love NZ playing, the Indians enthusiasm with Kohli, my favourite player to watch nowadays, SA seem to be on a roll, W.Indies you never know which team will turn up but if Gayle is there BOOM, Pakistan going through a period of trial and error but I believe two years they will be back, then you have Sri Lanka, Ireland, Afghanistan even Scotland

The game is not dead for tests for England just in a transition, and we need patience as with the current squad

I think you may be correct Andy, but if after a test or two certain regulars are not doing well then I can see whole sale changes.
Directors/management like Strauss easily forgot what a great squad they had underneath them when playing and in their prime regarding playing days,but tend to forget they grew old to- gether and left at the same time, leaving a huge gap in the team.

We need to blood the likes of Porter , Lawrence, Curran brothers, Jason Roy and if it takes 6 or 7 tests then so be it.

Can you imagine Graham Gooch into days game, he would be out after two tests on his start to test match arena his first test a pair, so lets give Habib a chance with Stoneman if Cook cannot improve his batting .

Root is 23, Graeme Smith was 21 for SA when captain and inherited a team in disarray, he didnot do too bad:smile:

The one day is the future for money spinning gates, I know that but lets not forget the beautiful game over five days, we need more countries to come and make Internationals more competitive, again take The Tigers of Bangladesh team is learning, but the crowds they bring add colour and noise to what would be an awlful game on paper, tests seems to be only focused on Ashes, myself I love NZ playing, the Indians enthusiasm with Kohli, my favourite player to watch nowadays, SA seem to be on a roll, W.Indies you never know which team will turn up but if Gayle is there BOOM, Pakistan going through a period of trial and error but I believe two years they will be back, then you have Sri Lanka, Ireland, Afghanistan even Scotland

The game is not dead for tests for England just in a transition, and we need patience as with the current squad

That's twice you've mentioned Habib.

I presume you mean Haseeb Hameed rather than a recall for 45yo Aftab Habib.

I remember Aftab Habib's flirting with Test Cricket.

26 runs against New Zealand in 1999 when we tried pretty much anyone in those days.

So the squad has been announced and the conclusion from the ashes is that it was essentially Garry Balances fault for our poor batting.

Why preserve with players who are in their late twenties and not cutting it rather than blood the next generation.....

Kevin Pietersen played with a freedom he had not enjoyed so far this summer and the Melbourne Stars came alive in the field to rip bragging rights back from the Renegades in last night's Big Bash League derby.

Under a closed Etihad Stadium roof, the Stars finally enjoyed their first victory of the summer but they will need to win their remaining four matches, and rely on other results, to have any hope of an unlikely finals berth.

Kevin Pietersen quickly adjusted to a slow but consistent deck to blast his highest score of the series (74 off 46 balls)

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/mat...ash-league-match-report-highlights/2018-01-12

Back