• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017: England V South Africa & West Indies

Back on to the current Windies series, great batting really from most of the team (except for the Essex duo & Bairstow). To come from a big ask, especially at 94-3 to finish with 490-8 (dec). was a decent ending.

My only regret was Root declaring with just 6 overs to go, It was a pointless exercise, considering there was only 6 overs left in the game. The chances were more in a favour to build a bigger lead, rather than take an early wicket. (which proved true in hindsight). As they we didn't take any wickets, and with their tired bowlers we would have made more wickets than their 5.

We were 8 wickets down anyway and over 300 in the lead, the openers would have not have wanted to face those 6 overs unfortunately we didn't get a wicket but I applaud Root for having a go.

No which is why you likely to see Ballance, Jennings and Habib taken over to OZ.
Like the look of Stoneman and would like to see him open with Cook at the Gabba

Ashes 1st test starting line up. Always play your best player at #3

Cook
Stoneman
Root
Hales
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes
Roland-Jones
Broad
Anderson

Just saying:blush:

West Indies looking to be coasting to victory. Crazy to declare really, although a lot of the pundits liked it. We are 1-0 in the series so why give them a sniff by asking them to score 320? Should have just batted on to see how many more we could get and how much time we could eat up and hopefully have ruled them out of the game. Instead a bold declaration and the window was open and in they seem to be popping.

West Indies looking to be coasting to victory. Crazy to declare really, although a lot of the pundits liked it. We are 1-0 in the series so why give them a sniff by asking them to score 320? Should have just batted on to see how many more we could get and how much time we could eat up and hopefully have ruled them out of the game. Instead a bold declaration and the window was open and in they seem to be popping.

Not quite sure about 'coasting' - at tea, the odds on the draw and a Windies victory are pretty much the same, around 6/4.

I liked the declaration - play to win, not draw. It might backfire this time but I think we were right to go for a win, even if a draw would guarantee us not losing the series.

Anyone who says they thought this team would chase 322 comfortably on a wearing day 5 pitch under grey skies at Headingley is an aftertiming liar.

Root made the right decision to declare and I hope he doesn't shy away next time around because of this. No doubt the same people complaining today will also moan when we have a team 9 down and 120 runs behind but draw due to a high and late declaration...or complained about Strauss/Cook doing this every time.

This has been an excellent Test match after a run of mainly one sided affairs, Windies have the been the better side and if they could catch the ball then the game would be over already. The declaration has made for a very interesting last day and all three results are still possible going into the last session, whats not to like?

Giving the West indies the last 6 overs proved fruitless, we should of batted on till close if we could and then have the whole last day having a go at them,there is nothing wrong with a draw in test cricket and if we lose we have put the series in danger of being lost,not good.:unsure:

Mason Crane with a superb catch. Windies need 76. We need 6 wickets. 20 overs to go.

I really enjoyed that, as AndyT & Brettie said " Excellent Viewing" & "gripping stuff"....... And what a build up for the Lord's finale on September 7th.

It was a great advert for test cricket, & in a weird way, i'm slightly pleased to an extent that Windies won it.

However, not wanting to sound like a broken record, but imo Roots decision to declare early last last night, was ultimately the difference between scratching out a draw and losing the the match. Regardless of whatever the outcome might have been if we batted on for those 6 extra overs, imagine how much closer it would have been tonight, if we had an extra 20-25 runs on the board, and the Windies had those remaining 4 1/2 overs to chase it down.

I really can't wait for the last test at Lord's later next week.....Do you think we will win or lose the series? Obviously I'm hoping for a win, but after both teams performances at Edgbaston & Headingley i'm not to sure at all. It could go either way.

England are 1/4 to win the series still. There is still a big gulf between the sides. It'll be fine.

Nothing wrong with Root's declaration. If we'd have held a couple of chances, we might well have won. He was spot on to stick them in for those 6 overs on Monday night.

By the way, Bangladesh beat Australia this morning, so maybe us lot at the top need to look over our shoulders a bit more than we do!

Joe Root's nickname has been craptain since he allowed Middlesex to chase about 450 on the last day when he covered as captain of Yorkshire. Goes to show that he's still learning and captaining a Test team is hard work. Just being the glamourous poster boy doesn't make you a top Test match captain.

Overall, England were shocking apart from the grind in the second innings batting which was great to see. Root did the right thing, we just didn't get them out. It's tough not to think that they got complacent after the first test. Playing Woakes didn't pay off in terms of his bowling (did for his batting) as he isn't match fit so maybe there was even carelessness there.

Great result for West Indies and Test cricket more widely. And I love Test cricket

I wouldn't blame Root at all for anything that's gone on.

Selectors got it wrong in leaving out Toby Roland-Jones, like they've got it wrong this summer on a few selections in general.

Senior players should know what they are doing but often, especially after an easy win, the mindset gets a bit lazy for the next one or gets tired too quickly. Back-to-back tests has never been good for the game, IMHO. Players need to rest their bodies and minds.

It'll be a different England at Lords next week and we will win the series.

Woakes should now play for Warwickshire for the rest of the season.

I wouldn't blame Root at all for anything that's gone on.

Selectors got it wrong in leaving out Toby Roland-Jones, like they've got it wrong this summer on a few selections in general.

Senior players should know what they are doing but often, especially after an easy win, the mindset gets a bit lazy for the next one or gets tired too quickly. Back-to-back tests has never been good for the game, IMHO. Players need to rest their bodies and minds.

It'll be a different England at Lords next week and we will win the series.

Woakes should now play for Warwickshire for the rest of the season.

In terms of what went wrong that declaration and Woakes over Roland-Jones are way down the list. Start with the first innings batting, then try the catching in the West Indies' second innings and then the bowling.

Woakes may have been a bit rusty but England would have lost without his batting anyway.

Agree on back-to-back tests being terrible for the game.

I think we are in agreement, but maybe if Roland-Jones, fresh and confident, had played, we might not have needed Woakes batting, as we'd have bowled the Windies out cheaper.

Would like to see Nottinghamshire Patel in the squad, every time I've seen him he looks like a good asset to have in the team against Oz
Maybe a fitness regrime first to shed a pound or ten :smile:

Back