• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/12/labour-tories-great-repeal-bill-brexit-eu

See the Tories "Great Repeal" bill looks set for a rough ride.Predictable when you lose your majority.Careless Mrs May.:smiles:
Labour's challenge to the government is essentially - guarantee current workers rights, show that you know what you are doing, show you have the ability to manage the situation. These are things the government will struggle with as their approach so far had been incoherent.

Trying to gain sympathy/suggest she's human by claiming she cried when finding out her pointless election had backfired.

She's awful.
the fact she called the election shows she doesn't realise she is a poor quality PM. To risk what she did knowing she didn't have any policies to announce shows shocking naivety. The EU referendum that Cameron called - I thought that would stay as the worst political decision for a number of years, but his downfall was largely out of his hands, he wasn't to know that his own colleagues would lie their way throughout the campaign. With May though it was totally in her hands, she had no need to call it and at the point that she did she would have known she had no policies, no intention to debate, no inclination to meet the public. She was 100% to blame for losing what had been given to her.

the fact she called the election shows she doesn't realise she is a poor quality PM. To risk what she did knowing she didn't have any policies to announce shows shocking naivety. The EU referendum that Cameron called - I thought that would stay as the worst political decision for a number of years, but his downfall was largely out of his hands, he wasn't to know that his own colleagues would lie their way throughout the campaign. With May though it was totally in her hands, she had no need to call it and at the point that she did she would have known she had no policies, no intention to debate, no inclination to meet the public. She was 100% to blame for losing what had been given to her.

I actually disagree with that as I think you're being rather too fair to Camerscum. A friend of mine (a staunch tory, but don't hold that against him, he's also one of life's decent people) said he won't vote tory ever again because they put themselves as a party ahead of the country as a whole. However, I don't think that was actually the case. I think it was Camerscum's vanity that led to the referendum. He wanted to be PM again so much he was prepared to sell the country down the river. If what is purported to also be true (that he told Juncker that he could win any referendum 70% to 30% - to which Juncker replied that not even Luxembourg would vote that heavily in favour) then he didn't even see it as a risk, which shows a complete lack of judgement too.

May calling an election was a bad move, but it's no where near as catastrophic as the mess Camerscum has left behind.

I actually disagree with that as I think you're being rather too fair to Camerscum. A friend of mine (a staunch tory, but don't hold that against him, he's also one of life's decent people) said he won't vote tory ever again because they put themselves as a party ahead of the country as a whole. However, I don't think that was actually the case. I think it was Camerscum's vanity that led to the referendum. He wanted to be PM again so much he was prepared to sell the country down the river. If what is purported to also be true (that he told Juncker that he could win any referendum 70% to 30% - to which Juncker replied that not even Luxembourg would vote that heavily in favour) then he didn't even see it as a risk, which shows a complete lack of judgement too.

May calling an election was a bad move, but it's no where near as catastrophic as the mess Camerscum has left behind.
Cameron's decision had much more impact on the country, but May's decision and the outcome was completely in her own hands. May's was a lack of self awareness, Cameron's was a lack of general awareness.

Cameron's decision had much more impact on the country, but May's decision and the outcome was completely in her own hands. May's was a lack of self awareness, Cameron's was a lack of general awareness.

And vanity and selfishness. Cam wins hands down.

Why keep on fighting the last election and referendum? We are where we are now.Surely the next general election is the most interesting one to talk about atm?

Labour are now a government in waiting.Discuss.:smile:

Jeez, I would ruddy well hope not! Personally wouldn't trust Mr.C one iota, he lives in a dreamworld. On the other side May is a dead-duck, totally out of her depth and has to go. Seems to me an all-time low in quality amongst the current batch of MP's in the Commons .

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-years-jeremy-corbyn-tony-blair-a7840231.html

Interesting read...could Brexit be how Corbyn broadens his appeal?

Certainly if negotiations don't appear to be going too well-which seems a fairly good bet atm.

Edit.What chance a second referendum?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/14/chance-second-brexit-referendum-people-rethink

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...on-brexit-policy-time-for-britain-to-get-real

Who knows,maybe you'll vote the right way next time around? :winking:

Last edited:
Perhaps, to even things out a little, the public sector workers should have their pay cut.

Public sector workers have higher wages than their private sector counterparts despite a decade of austerity, IFS finds
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ave-higher-wages-private-sector-counterparts/

Actually, "Spreadsheet Phil" was making the point that public sector workers pensions are worth some 10% more than private sector ones.According to him, there's been parity of wages in the private/public sector since the 2008 crash.

Back