• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Turns out “if anyone can, it’s Chris powell” was a lot of ****e, failed to attract any real talent apart from unwanted players he has had before. Zero pace, very little creativity and a manager that can’t attract players...we shall see what the season brings.

Some folks will defend CP to the death, but the fact remains that he has not performed at all well in the close season.

Whether he gets the most out of players like Dieng, Mantom, Lennon and Barratt along with other existing players will now pretty much decide his success as we are seriously lacking in the talent department compared to other players we'll be meeting this season.

Indeed we will. Although it's always a pleasure to have your particular brand of positivity to keep us occupied until we have seen a bit more of the season unfold.
Behave mate, are you happy with the business we’ve done? Don’t get blinded by the fact he is an ex player.

Some folks will defend CP to the death, but the fact remains that he has not performed at all well in the close season.

Whether he gets the most out of players like Dieng, Mantom, Lennon and Barratt along with other existing players will now pretty much decide his success as we are seriously lacking in the talent department compared to other players we'll be meeting this season.

...and this is the problem. Worked both ways, some defended Brown blindly and now the the opposite people defending Powell. Has it been a good off-season. Absolutely not and I imagine Powell thinks the same as me. Now to test our luck in the loan market.

Turns out “if anyone can, it’s Chris powell” was a lot of ****e, failed to attract any real talent apart from unwanted players he has had before. Zero pace, very little creativity and a manager that can’t attract players...we shall see what the season brings.

Are you serious? Basically writing off the season before it's even really started in earnest? I'd wager you have no idea where our budgets are, who's available, what they're demanding, who we've spoken to... Chris Powell has a decent pedigree at this level and I trust in his decisions even without the sway of the history from his playing days with SUFC.

Behave mate, are you happy with the business we’ve done? Don’t get blinded by the fact he is an ex player.
I'm not sure there is anything I need to behave about. The fact that he is an ex-player is totally irrelevant to his ability as a manager. I just prefer to see how the team performs over a few more games before I start to offer up that much criticism.

Are you serious? Basically writing off the season before it's even really started in earnest? I'd wager you have no idea where our budgets are, who's available, what they're demanding, who we've spoken to... Chris Powell has a decent pedigree at this level and I trust in his decisions even without the sway of the history from his playing days with SUFC.
Not sure where I wrote off the season..?

You cant judge the new signings after one game, some people are being ridiculous. On the basis of what we saw last season then Chris Powell will get the best out of Lennon, Dieng, Mantom et al. Besides, the summer is not even over yet is it? Likelihood is we will snaffle some out-of-contracts or loan signings in the next couple of weeks.

Well lets it folks....after nearly 103 pages of "who, what, why, where and when".... it's 5pm and the transfer window has officially closed.
Not even a whisper from Chris Phillips, so 99% chance of no new signings.

You cant judge the new signings after one game, some people are being ridiculous. On the basis of what we saw last season then Chris Powell will get the best out of Lennon, Dieng, Mantom et al. Besides, the summer is not even over yet is it? Likelihood is we will snaffle some out-of-contracts or loan signings in the next couple of weeks.
But I thought the problem was not getting our business done early enough and it would be different under CP because everyone wants to play for him?

Sam Barratt?

Disappointing if as it appears no new signing and we have to endure more weeks of speculation about loan signings. It is clear we are lacking in midfield creativity and goal threat up front, but Powell knew that at the end of last season. Presumably his recruitment has been hobbled by budgetary constraints with some Brown left overs on high wages and /or long contracts. Obviously far too soon to write the season off but perhaps the over optimism that seemed to come from the management should have been tempered with realism, however unpalatable that might have been for those who expect a promotion challenge. Who knows, it might all click at Plymouth and kick start the season.

Well the tipster in the racing post had us down to win the championship and they tend to not choose no-hopers. Our most important signing was in retaining Oxley + we bought in some decent players I think Sam Barratt will be a great addition and all the others look useful. We can dip into the loan market if need be and for the most part against Doncaster we played some decent football so I feel pretty positive about the season and believe Powell has done well.

Some serious over reaction on here. Let’s face it, we’ve been here before haven’t we? In fact most seasons in recent memory...
We have a decent squad as it stands. Ok, not automatic promotion material but comfortable mid table/ play off contenders. We need a tricky, creative midfielder with pace and a pacey striker that can bag 20+ goals.... well who doesn’t need that in our league!
I’m sure we’ll dip into the loan market and pick up a couple of players... if we find a gem then it could be a great season. If not, we’ll go again next year.

Well the tipster in the racing post had us down to win the championship and they tend to not choose no-hopers. Our most important signing was in retaining Oxley + we bought in some decent players I think Sam Barratt will be a great addition and all the others look useful. We can dip into the loan market if need be and for the most part against Doncaster we played some decent football so I feel pretty positive about the season and believe Powell has done well.

Blimey, so Champions League football by 2020!!:Clap::Clap:

Jeez! I was feeling pretty confident until I started reading this thread. Why don't we just give the team a chance, what happened to waiting 10 games to see where we are? Get a grip people, please. COYBB

Back