• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Turns out “if anyone can, it’s Chris powell” was a lot of ****e, failed to attract any real talent apart from unwanted players he has had before. Zero pace, very little creativity and a manager that can’t attract players...we shall see what the season brings.

If you want to extrapolate from a single match then the forward he signed is on course for 46 league goals this season. Not that that would make you happy.

Some serious over reaction on here. Let’s face it, we’ve been here before haven’t we? In fact most seasons in recent memory...
We have a decent squad as it stands. Ok, not automatic promotion material but comfortable mid table/ play off contenders. We need a tricky, creative midfielder with pace and a pacey striker that can bag 20+ goals.... well who doesn’t need that in our league!
I’m sure we’ll dip into the loan market and pick up a couple of players... if we find a gem then it could be a great season. If not, we’ll go again next year.

Like our star player from the second half of last season who is due back imminently from a hamstring injury?

Some folks will defend CP to the death, but the fact remains that he has not performed at all well in the close season.

Whether he gets the most out of players like Dieng, Mantom, Lennon and Barratt along with other existing players will now pretty much decide his success as we are seriously lacking in the talent department compared to other players we'll be meeting this season.

Seriously? You don't think Dieng, Mantom, Hyam, Lennon, Hopper and Barratt are decent signings? Yes we need a pacey, physical forward but christ we've had far, FAR worse transfer windows than this one....

In addition it was Powell who convinced Oxley and Cox to re-sign - I'm astounded if some supporters believe this window has been anything other than successful.

Last edited:
okay so the windows closed but I think we actually have a decent squad and if the team spirit is right then there is no reason why we can't challenge for the playoffs, bear in mind we can get unattached players and CP has still got very good links with spurs so there is a chance we could one or two of their youngsters / unwanted players on loan once they realise that they won't get any first team action.

If all else fails it's a great chance for Wabo to make a step up, I'm surprised he's not been loaned out so maybe there are plans for him

I always like to see how things are after ten games. I watched, in anticipation, the opener against Doncaster and am of the mind we lost the game for ourselves rather than Doncaster winning it on merit.

For me it was new promise and old problems. The new promise came from our crop of signings that look as though they will prove to be an asset. The old problems were profligacy in front of goal, limited creativity from the mids and mistakes at the back.

SCP turned it around last season and deserves the chance to mould our team into a consistent unit. He will get the team to work on weak areas.

I was/am hoping for a couple of additions, maybe now through the loan route, and am prematurely pessimistic should that not transpire.

Yes I feel SCP can galvanise our team but to me it is not a promotion side. Close. One or two signings could be all the difference needed.

In the end much may depend on the loan signings. Done right we get player we would never get on a perm and a cut above L1- if the attitude is right happy days and very positive.

What we don't need is U23 player who have never played at senior/L1 level, flatter to deceive, and aren't ready for the physical side they have never encounter before (rather play our own).
I am sure we can get the former

Seriously? You don't think Dieng, Mantom, Hyam, Lennon, Hopper and Barratt are decent signings? Yes we need a pacey, physical forward but christ we've had far, FAR worse transfer windows than this one....

In addition it was Powell who convinced Oxley and Cox to re-sign - I'm astounded if some supporters believe this window has been anything other than successful.

I had the same conversation with a member of the board this time last year when he claimed that there was little other sides who possessed the same talent as us, but this proved quite quickly not to be the case.

Dieng we've not really seen, Hyam is useless and massively injury prone. I know this from his time at ITFC. Mantom is decent for sure. I don't really have concerns with the midfield anyway, my main concerns are underlined from the weekend. We created 20-odd chances and finished 2 (only after the oppo dropped gears at 3-0 up) and conceded 3 from the handful of chances they created. That is a major concern and leads me to believe we have the same goal shy issues upfront and our defence is again looking shakey.

The rest of the signings I've not mentiuoned are underwhelming.

Turns out “if anyone can, it’s Chris powell” was a lot of ****e, failed to attract any real talent apart from unwanted players he has had before. Zero pace, very little creativity and a manager that can’t attract players...we shall see what the season brings.
It’s been one game, are you serious? We might of lost that one game but we played better football in that game than any of browns, 18 games last season and we came 4th in those games if you put it in a lge so didn’t really need many in did we? Another Southend fan that has he’s head firmly stuck up his own arse, you obviously support the wrong club!! Expecting way to much

It’s been one game, are you serious? We might of lost that one game but we played better football in that game than any of browns, 18 games last season and we came 4th in those games if you put it in a lge so didn’t really need many in did we? Another Southend fan that has he’s head firmly stuck up his own arse, you obviously support the wrong club!! Expecting way to much
It's about opinions, and, as with all things, we differ in how we see things. Maybe a bit too personal to suggest that poster's head should firmly inserted though?............................

My first ever post here, usually browse through. A lot of people (rightly so) were praising Shrewsbury for their season last time out. A majority of their squad was made up of a few fairly experienced football league players, younger players that needed more game time and exposure & loanees (Henderson, Godfrey & Morris) however, do you reckon they were chuffed and optimistic with their squad going in to the season? Don’t answer that. Chill out and get behind the team.

I had the same conversation with a member of the board this time last year when he claimed that there was little other sides who possessed the same talent as us, but this proved quite quickly not to be the case.

Dieng we've not really seen, Hyam is useless and massively injury prone. I know this from his time at ITFC. Mantom is decent for sure. I don't really have concerns with the midfield anyway, my main concerns are underlined from the weekend. We created 20-odd chances and finished 2 (only after the oppo dropped gears at 3-0 up) and conceded 3 from the handful of chances they created. That is a major concern and leads me to believe we have the same goal shy issues upfront and our defence is again looking shakey.

The rest of the signings I've not mentiuoned are underwhelming.

I thought he did ok on Saturday. Maybe he won't be so useless in L1.

Indeed we will. Although it's always a pleasure to have your particular brand of positivity to keep us occupied until we have seen a bit more of the season unfold.

But the chaps entitled to his opinion right ? And I’m sure many will feel the same at this stage ? A question was asked in another thread why people don’t post anymore ....

An opinion is an opinion it shouldn’t be rediculed , that’s whats the person things, so be it

But the chaps entitled to his opinion right ? And I’m sure many will feel the same at this stage ? A question was asked in another thread why people don’t post anymore ....

An opinion is an opinion it shouldn’t be rediculed , that’s whats the person things, so be it
You’re absolutely right, I disagreed with the poster's view and I should have worded my first response differently, which I did in a later post. And then defended his opinion in another post.

Same old SZ. A thread on TRANSFERS and every moans because you have an opinion that differs, which is that CP hasn’t been the golden child that everyone wants to play for.

**** it. Great signings all around and I am
sure CP is delighted with his business and like everyone...I am glad we are leaving it to the last minute to most likely get in someone else’s kids to grow.

Everyone having a ****ing moan at me are the same people that praised him for doing business early but now praise him for looking at the loan market after the season starts...

Last edited by a moderator:

We played better football? We conceded 3 goals and couldn’t hit a barn door until we were 3-0 down. In CP we blindly trust. The rest of your post...yeah alright pal ??

We played better football? We conceded 3 goals and couldn’t hit a barn door until we were 3-0 down. In CP we blindly trust. The rest of your post...yeah alright pal ??

Calm down Sunshine. One game. Judge after 46, eh?

I don’t post that much on here but I cannot believe some of the comments I am reading.

I thought we had a good pre-season. Most people agreed we got rid of the right players (maybe Timlin and MAF aside), we retained who we wanted to retain and we got players in to cover the positions we needed - and early!! Yes we may need another striker or winger but there are such things as loans.

To say CP has had a shocker of a pre-season is ludicrous. I don’t recall us losing heavily to anyone? We drew with Leeds! And those moaning that we haven’t made enough signings - just look at Bury last year. Enough said.

I am fairly optimistic for this season. And remember whenever we lose at home first game of the season, we generally go on to do quite well - well recently anyway. No doubt someone will disprove that theory though! We certainly did when we went up to the Championship last time.

Chill out everyone - we are one game in.

Back