• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He got his acquisitions in early
We didn't have to scuttle around at the last minute
Everything opposite to the way we behaved last year when Phil Brown was in Charge and thoroughly castigated for his method
Now Powell is getting it in the ear
Just don't get why some of our so called fans bother

Played one game , which we should have had won by half time playing some decent stuff.
Got a tough game tomorrow too which we may well lose , but come on doubters , give it some time please !

I’m off on holiday for a couple of weeks , so play nicely while I’m away and keep the faith

My first ever post here, usually browse through. A lot of people (rightly so) were praising Shrewsbury for their season last time out. A majority of their squad was made up of a few fairly experienced football league players, younger players that needed more game time and exposure & loanees (Henderson, Godfrey & Morris) however, do you reckon they were chuffed and optimistic with their squad going in to the season? Don’t answer that. Chill out and get behind the team.

Indeed, the loan players were a big part of their success. If you get loan signings right they can make a big difference, unfortunately we've not had a great amount of success with them over the last few years.

I'm not panicking about the window closing. Must signings at this level are loans and free transfers anyway. And once the Premier League and Championship clubs are a few games into their seasons, they'll have a better idea of who they're wiling to let go on loan.

So Powell didn't manage to bring in all the players he would of liked, same as Brown. Will people learn that it's not always down to the manager? Probably not.

So Powell didn't manage to bring in all the players he would of liked, same as Brown. Will people learn that it's not always down to the manager? Probably not.

At last, we've got there. Chris Powell has been trying very hard behind the scenes to get the quality striker we're all hoping for. It's not happened because of an unrealistic transfer fee wanted by the club involved, unrealistic demands from the agents or/and the player, or the player didn't want to move to this part of the Country. Good strikers especially, are much sought after. It's not easy to compete with bigger clubs, bigger budgets, or those that are willing to gamble and put their club at risk.

At last, we've got there. Chris Powell has been trying very hard behind the scenes to get the quality striker we're all hoping for. It's not happened because of an unrealistic transfer fee wanted by the club involved, unrealistic demands from the agents or/and the player, or the player didn't want to move to this part of the Country. Good strikers especially, are much sought after. It's not easy to compete with bigger clubs, bigger budgets, or those that are willing to gamble and put their club at risk.

Hmm, I'm not 100% about this. I think PB made some very shrewd and impressive signings. He just failed to get the best out of them, or they ended up joining us a season too late. If these targets CP missed out on were that financially unrealistic, why even waste time on them? He spent a lot of time working on these missed targets, he must have felt they were worth pursuing financially.

I still feel that CP has been underwhelming in the transfer market, but I have caveat-ed that by also stating that if he bring a better player out of the signings he's made, then it may work out just fine.

Spot on Westy. Listening to Steve Parish on Wednesday was interesting and certainly reflects what you're saying. Mangers give a wish list, rarely do they get it.

Powell apparently wanted Doyle, could we afford the fee that Bradford paid? No. Is that Powell's fault? No.

People forget that Cox was out of contract, so signing him up again is effectively a 'signing'. If he left, we'd have had to replace him, very difficult. Add Hopper and Theo to that, that's three league one strikers on your books. Not many sides have 4 nailed on starters for the striking positions. Normally 2 or 3 with a couple of youngsters to choose from.

Going back to budgets, it's hardly Powell's fault that Kiernan is eating up a big wage and Ferdinand on a decent whack too. There's nothing Powell can do, he tried to offload Ferdinand with no success.

I've stated before that we need another winger but it may be hard to get someone in. Powell may want to use Elvis and Hendrie there. We simply don't know.

All I know is, it's ridiculously early to even contemplate slating the manager and players, give them a chance.

Last edited:

No manager gets all the players they want.

If that applies to the Man U and Chelsea managers then it certainly applies to the Southend manager.

Powell got in a good number of his targets and he got them in early. He also secured the out of contract players he wanted.

Of course he’s always looking to improve the squad. He’d be complacent not to.

But we’re now moaning about a 4th striker when players won’t want to come here to sit on the bench when they see two forwards who scored Saturday and Simon Cox already on the books.

I'm truly staggered. Only Plymouth picked up more points than Southend last season after Powell's arrival. We've recruited well, we also dominated the whole game barring a calamitous 20-minute spell last weekend and will play far worse this season and win. It's ONE GAME. We lost our opener in 2005/6 and went on to win the league - talk about an overreaction! Yes we're a striker short - we can all see that but if we can get a decent forward in on loan before the window shuts then we have every chance of a good season, especially once Dru is back fit.

It's just incredible how irrational some people can be on here....

Well there it is, its all over as far as the window goes but pleased to see us move into the next market for loans, unattached players or even emergency goalkeepers if necessary. Im quite pleased with the business we have managed and feel confident sir CP will get the best from our new boys.

What an astonishing transfer window its been though ! possibly a RECORD196 signings to our league ? and we were first off the mark for a change !
Why so many signings I wonder. Do clubs want bigger squads because of the newish window arrangements, are even more players available, more competition? more money around?
Certainly seems to be more cash that you might expect with 54 of the 196 being signed for a FEE, although freebies at 97 still came out on top. Also an unusually high number of LOANS at 43.. Only seven clubs didnt enter the loan market up to yesterday, us being one of them, the others, Gills, Rochdale, Luton, Burton, Charlton and Barnsley.
Others have gone for Loans big time with Blackpool taking on 4, Wimbledon 4, Fleetwood 4, Shrewsbury 4, Oxford 4, Peterborough 3, Bradford and Scunthorpe 3. Oxford look to have done some impressive deals here. 5 other clubs took on 2 each to date.

At the bottom end of the market the skinflints or "not bovvered " were Luton and Barnsley just 3 incoming and Burton and Charlton with a miserly 2. Spending not a penny were Fleetwood, Burton, Charlton and Rochdale, although the latter brought in 6 freebies.

We gasped in the past when first Port Vale and the Bury completely brought in a new team or more, and much good it did them in the short term. This time however 4 clubs alone have brought in 56 players, 12 clubs , half the league have signed up 139, not that short of 12 each. Yep half our league this time bringing in a completely new squad !!

The big Tesco type retailer is of course Peterborough mind boggling again again, this time and out of the park with their 30 deals, 16 in and 14 out, although I see young King has already been called back to Swansea without kicking a ball in anger. Peterborough can have big spender as their musical theme , coughing up for 9. Shrewsbury flogged off some of their better players but that enabled them to buy 7, Coventry paid out for 5. B

Last comments on the market from me, which I appreciate you might be pleased to hear, is that bringing in players proved pretty easy for some, negating the myth just how difficult it all is? and of course it wasnt all about money given the close to 70 freebies.
Top scorers in the market were Peterborough 16, Bradford 14, Blackpool 13, Shrewsbury 13, Coventry 11, Plymouth 11, Fleetwood 10, Walsall 10, Afc Wombles 10, Sunderland 10, Scunthorpe 10 Oxford 9.
Should we send our new recruitment team on a mission to all of these clubs to learn how its done? Freebie experts were Blackpool 9, Plymouth 8, Rochdale 6, Sunderland 6 Bristol Rovers 6.

Finally stand outs then were

Peterborough 9 buys 3 loans 4 frees
Blackpool 1 biuy 4 loans 9 frees
Bradford 4 buys 3 loans 6 frees
Coventry 5 buys 1 loan 5 frees
Sunderland 3 buys 1 loan 6 frees
Shrewsbury 7 buys 4 loans 2 frees
Scunthorpe 3 buys 3 loans 4 frees
Oxford 3 buys 4 loans 2 frees

Son we ended up after being the first to buy , joint 15th in the annual bean feast with only 5 clubs beneath us in terms of activity.
Roll on our pay day loan market approach !!

Don't think large numbers of incoming players mean a successful transfer window. Our most imprtant signing was the retention of Mark Oxley. I would suggest that our management team may not have managed to attract all of their first choices. However, with the possible exception of another wide man then the squad looks good enough, with adequate cover in all positions.

I really don't get why some people believe that a transfer window is about getting in as many players as possible. We're a wide man short of where we need to be but maybe someone can do a job there and we're alright. I really don't get it.

We're just signed a player who was playing for Walton Casuals three years ago. People go on about non-league talent and there's one for starters!

So let's see where we go. After Powell took over we massively improved on what came before so on that basis I'm hopeful we can improve and have a good season.

With Mc Coulsky coming in dropping Ba and Wabo to 5 and 6 in the pecking order, its time to circulate their names as available for loans , along with a few others., They can always be recalled if necessary

Back